Chopin Music Forum Index Chopin Music Forum
Community of Classical Music Lovers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bach/busoni - 3rd chorale prelude

Chopin Music Forum Index -> Audition Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
An!ma`

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: bach/busoni - 3rd chorale prelude

http://users.pandora.be/erak/piano/bachbusoni_erik.mp3

Again, bad quality (but better than the scriabin etude). Critique away! I know that I slow down throughout the whole piece, my fault. Other than that, feel free to comment.

(that's the kitchen clock you hear ticking, and the refridgerator making that constant zummmm noise)
Send private message Visit poster's website
Goldberg
Incorrigible Failure

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject:

I might be the only one, but I actually like the way your piano sounds like that! It sounds real and "vulnerable" if you will (maybe that's not the correct word.....well, I guess it is)--more human, maybe, than a lot of recordings these days, too digital and engineered and dominant. But, I could do without the 'fridge!

Anyway, I quite liked your playing. Slowing down in this case is better than speeding up, but it didn't really bother me until the end, when you seemed to draw out some of the phrases a *wee* too much, and you seemed to "end" the piece more than once (I know it's also part of the writing on Bach's part, but imo it could just be a little more fluid until the very end). Otherwise, I actually rather liked the tempo. Remember that contrary to popular belief, metronome markings are not the ultimate arbiters in the Baroque world--rubato is allowed as long as you do not sacrifice the essential rhythm of the entire piece in the process. And, in my mind, you did an admirable job of avoiding that.

Likewise, your dynamics and voicing were well controlled throughout. I could tell instantly that you've spent a lot of time on the piece, looking well beyond its lack of true technical difficulties, resolving instead to tackle some of the more redoubtable musical issues. A solid performance!

I might add that in the future for me is the B-B prelude "Awake, Said a Voice" (or something like that)--probably the most popular one, in Eb major. It's just a lovely melody...I know you've heard it, but are you planning on learning it? I'd love to see what you do to it.
An!ma`

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject:

Thanks a lot! Very helpful info .

I noticed the phrases thing, when I listened to it the first time I felt like it was all a bit loose from each other, like not 1 whole. I try to breathe, but I overdid it at some parts. I was quite glad about the voicing, only I find that I should bring out the basses more at some parts, a firm sung voice without a good base sounds rather empty to me.

My god, you like my piano here? haha. Can't help the fridge, can't move anywhere and if I record from too closeby you get the scriabin etude recording effect :'D. (I recorded this from about a 15m distance, gives the dynamics more chance to be heard).

I don't know if I'll learn another one anytime soon, time sucks!
Send private message Visit poster's website
citrine_peridot
The "Pedal-Eater"

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject:

this one is gonna be one of the few Bach pieces that i actually like (slow but don't bore me), pretty nice playing.

i like it slightly better than your black key, so it would be 0.5 higer
which is 93.5(well, i will round it to 94)

P.S. i was listening to the recording over and over again trying to hear the fridge and the ticking~~~~~~~~~they don't bother much.
       Chopin Music Forum Index -> Audition Room All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: