Chopin Music Forum Index Chopin Music Forum
Community of Classical Music Lovers

FAQFAQ   Forum RulesForum Rules   LinksLinks   LibraryLibrary   MemberlistMembers   SearchSearch
  ProfileProfile   Favorites   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in  RegisterNew User

Chopin's Fantasie-Impromptu
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PianistSk8er
Chopiffraliszt lover
Chopiffraliszt lover

PianistSk8er

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Chopin's Fantasie-Impromptu Reply with quote

Ahh yes, popular piece of discussion, made sticky.

I personally really like this piece, but it is rather over-played, I only learned it because I knew a lot of people who could play the beginning and I wanted to be able to play the whole thing. Wink

PS
PianistSk8er is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
virtuoso_735

virtuoso_735

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You spelled "impromptu"wrong; it doesn't have an e. I suppose it's just an inadvertent error.

I've always wanted to play this piece, though everytime I start it, I give up in 2 days since the cross-rhthyms are hard to get right. I started it twice, just to quit it.
virtuoso_735 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Amnesia
Moderato
Moderato

Amnesia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually spelled Fantasie Impromptu. Two spelling mistakes Wink
Amnesia is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
WinterWind_23

WinterWind_23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think pianstkater is a bit tired from making the forum so great. Smile

Anyways, I haven't played it yet, but I love the piece. It's an overplayed piece and a bit trite, but nonetheless beautiful and magnificent. The cross rhythms seem hard though, which deters me from attempting the piece.
WinterWind_23 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Amnesia
Moderato
Moderato

Amnesia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely love it. As I've said before, it may be overplayed, but it's not overrated. It's such a beautiful impromptu, especially with beautiful contrasting middle section Smile

WinterWind_23 wrote:
The cross rhythms seem hard though, which deters me from attempting the piece.

The cross rhythms are not actually the hardest aspect of the piece. Once you get the hang of them, they really aren't that difficult. Smile
Amnesia is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
virtuoso_735

virtuoso_735

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amnesia wrote:
I absolutely love it. As I've said before, it may be overplayed, but it's not overrated. It's such a beautiful impromptu, especially with beautiful contrasting middle section Smile

WinterWind_23 wrote:
The cross rhythms seem hard though, which deters me from attempting the piece.

The cross rhythms are not actually the hardest aspect of the piece. Once you get the hang of them, they really aren't that difficult. Smile

I never got the hang of them...
virtuoso_735 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Amnesia
Moderato
Moderato

Amnesia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you practice them enough, you will. Your brain should click after a certain amount of time Wink
WinterWind_23

WinterWind_23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the hardest part, learning them! Smile

But I guess once the hardest part is in the past, then it should be easier. I played the noct no.1 and that had hard cross-rhythms to get down also. Is cross-rhythms in the nocturne harder or FI?
WinterWind_23 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Amnesia
Moderato
Moderato

Amnesia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All cross rhythms are around the same difficulty to learn, except of course 2/3, which is the easiest. Once you get the hang of the 4/3 timing, learning the piece shouldn't be too difficult, since the entire piece consists of the same cross rhythms. It's the expression that then becomes difficult.

To best way to learn these cross rhythms is to learn each hand separately first. Then play hands together relatively quickly and continually adjust the speed of your right hand until the notes on the beat match up. Once you achieve this, your brain will understand the concept behind 4/3 timing and playing the cross rhythms should then become trivial.

After this, you should practice very slowly with a metronome to perfect your accuracy and sound produced. This is the secret to overcoming cross rhythms, at least it is for me Wink
WinterWind_23

WinterWind_23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the nocturne, I did hands seperately, and then put them together getting the notes in the right place, though it was uneven. After doing that for a while, then I just play both fast so that it is even, without worrying too much about where they land, as long as they are even. I have an apprehension of cross-rhythms, so that's why I am avoiding Fantasie-Impromptu for now. Smile
citrine_peridot
The "Pedal-Eater"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now i dont really like FI as i did, but if someone play it nicely i would still get impressed , i just dont bother learn that any more.( since it wont do much help for my technique)
citrine_peridot is offline View user's profile Send private message
Flaming Buttocks of Doom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funky rhythm is hardly the hardest aspect of the Impromptu. Getting the runs to sound even and sparkle like they need to is even harder. It's only perhaps less than one in a thousand people that think they play this piece that can really play it.

Sorry, I don't count pedal-blurred-uneven-messy runs as "playing" the piece.
Flaming Buttocks of Doom is offline View user's profile Send private message
WinterWind_23

WinterWind_23

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are one of the people that can actually play it? Smile
Flaming Buttocks of Doom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I can. Smile
Flaming Buttocks of Doom is offline View user's profile Send private message
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Jeliness2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i can. I've not played it in such a long time though......
Jeliness2 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Go to top
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chopin Music Forum Index -> Frederic Chopin All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: