Chopin Music Forum Index Chopin Music Forum
Community of Classical Music Lovers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Piano... deprivation?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Chopin Music Forum Index -> General Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PianistSk8er
Infatuated Artiste

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Piano... deprivation?

I have just been wondering, am I just a freak, or do some of you also experience piano deprivation? Sometimes if I am at school or have just not been playing piano for a while, I have a certain urge to tickle the ivories. Is it just me?

Sometimes I could just kill to get my hands on something and tackle a few waltzes! I say this because I haven't played piano in the last little while...

PS
Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
calebrw

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject:

while I've never had the exact symtoms you said, but I have experienced similiar symptoms but with other things. So you're not crazy, unless we are both are
Send private message Visit poster's website
Chozart
"Brendel-like" Mozart & Bach fanatic

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject:

yeah I know what you mean.. so I'll randomly start doing fingering on my desk.. sometimes I do it a tad loud and people around me go " o_O " hehe ^o^''

i usually do this one etude (lol the one I auditioned with for the sdc) because it's just kinda cool, or - lately - grieg's puck and my show choir stuff... in particular "It's Raining Men" ^-^''
An!ma`

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Exactly the same here, but then I just play on the desk, or on my leg, which doesn't make that much noise, heh.
Debussy
Chopin Music's Casanova
Chopin Music's Casanova

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Sometime when I learn a new song, I'm tempted in the middle of the night just to go play it on the piano and just keep going at it. It's weird, but who cares!
Goldberg
Incorrigible Failure

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject:

I get irritable and withdrawn, and sometimes jittery when I can't play for longer than 3 days. I usually become quite arrogant as well, but through well-placed sarcasm I also find that I'm funniest in these periods!

But then, there are also times when I NEED a break from the piano so I take one, and then I end up feeling better instead of worse.
WinterWind_23

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject:

I have never excactly experienced those symptoms of piano deprivation, but then again, I haven't been seperated from the piano for an extended period of time. As pianist, we feel we have wasted a day if we have not been able to practice. I usually feel bad if I miss a session.
Send private message Send e-mail
aout4
miss small hands rachopininoff lover

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject:

I was away for vacation for a week two weeks ago and I can't stand not having to play! But I feel I'm more irritated for not listening to any classical music than anything else...!
Scriabinist

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject:

I could be quite easily without practising for months and get used to it but luckily it hasn't happened yet. I always tend to do some sort of random finger exercises on all the flat surfaces.
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject:

I sometimes feel urges to practice, but never really in school, because when I practice, it sounds so horrible. So, I definitely wouldn't want to be practicing in front of my friends...

I could imagine:
Practicing my Bach Fugue> "What the heck is the that?" :-S
Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
citrine_peridot
The "Pedal-Eater"

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject:

Jeliness2 wrote:
So, I definitely wouldn't want to be practicing in front of my friends...

i just ignore everybody when practicing, even they were yelling "can you just take a break, you've being playing the same 2 measure for 2 hrs" (they gave that MEAN statement in my friend's house during Thanksgiving)

PS, i have the exactly same feeling and it makes me so tense.
but i found that it doesn't help much when i play on a table(i need to see the keys). last week during the finals, i couldnt stand the anxiety anymore , i simply went to the jazz band room and ~~~~~~~~~~~" excuse me, do you mind leting me play the keyboard for a while?" after the exams, i found out that there is actually another piano in our school is not crappy. ~~~~~~~i know what i gonna do for lunch next semester .
pianoangel

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Yah, I know what you mean. If I havnt practiced in ages I sometimes start tapping my fingers on the desk and I get the wierdest looks off people. I think they think im slightly mad or something.I sometimes have people ask me questions like "why are you still practicing?".Ive noticed that others have picked up this habit from me though, lol.
Debussy
Chopin Music's Casanova
Chopin Music's Casanova

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject:

Jeliness2 wrote:
I could imagine:
Practicing my Bach Fugue> "What the heck is the that?" :-S

I bet if I played it perfectly (I wish) for my friends, they'd still be like, "Yeah... erm, what was that?"

I'm doing a Bach Prelude and Fugue now and I finally got most of the prelude down; the fugue is a killer. Nico can definitely back me up on that.
Brewtality

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject:

i didn't play for 2 weeks while i was overseas and when i came back it was very weird playing again. I had completely lost the feel of playing and my fingers were outta control.
Goldberg
Incorrigible Failure

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject:

I think Cziffra didn't play at all for somewhere between 3-5 years while in the army; in fact, it was such a life changing experience that he HATED the idea of playing the piano for a long time, until it was essentially required of him as a service to the officers. He was told that he had to play in 10 days, and the lieutenant or...whatever...sent out a squad of men to find a piano in a nearby Hungarian city. They brought back an inoperable piece of junk--they actually didn't even know what a piano was--and called it a "cabinet that made noise" haha.

Ok, well anyway they eventually found a decent baby grand in the city and hauled it in, but Cziffra had to cover the hammers using cloth so he could practice without disturbing anyone/calling attention to himself. Then he spent 6 or 7 days straight playing scales, thirds, sixths, fourths, octaves, etc, to "get his reflexes back"--and he would practice for something like 10 hours every single day, doing only scales! On the 8th day, he felt like he progressed enough so he decided to work on repertoire. He originally planned to simply improvise on some gypsy tunes, but then thought it would be nice to work up a Hungarian Rhapsody...well, he chose no. 2 and reworked it in those two or three days and presented it to the officers at the deadline. Actually, someone behind stage convinced him to take some alcohol to calm his nerves, and he ended up getting drunk and performed the HR2 completely potted, which didn't go very well heh--something he'd beat himself up over for 20 years after that.
       Chopin Music Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: