Chopin Music Forum Index Chopin Music Forum
Community of Classical Music Lovers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Female VS. Male pianists

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chopin Music Forum Index -> Recordings and Performers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PianistSk8er
Infatuated Artiste
Infatuated Artiste

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Female VS. Male pianists Reply with quote

It is true that there are substantially more men who have made it as big-time professional musicians, but why do you think this is? I've heard many recordings from women musicians as well and I think that they are starting to appear more and more. Especially these days (Argerich, Lisitsa, etc.)

What are your views on this? I'll post mine later. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TheRach
i hate rovolCz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's that men tend to be more obsessive over one thing (science, for instance) and woman like to be more balanced out.
Women were also discouraged from doing these things in the past, I'm sure this plays into it.
Max

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Women have a distinctly different approach to interpretion which sometimes works, but sometimes doesnt. Men are usually more athletic pianists as well.
Goldberg
Incorrigible Failure

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've thought a significant deal on the topic but don't really have the energy to reply in length. Ultimately, I don't think it makes much difference in performance. Generalisations always abound, and there are frequent exceptions.....

However, I must say, I personally find it rather odd when women play Liszt. Don't lay down the "vile sexist" comments just yet, however; it's not so much that women CAN'T play Liszt (well, ok, some that I've seen most certainly can't, but then look at Argerich) but that it's weird when they play music written by such a....celebrity...who composed a lot of his music to seduce or otherwise affect females. To me, Liszt should be played with regards to its original spirit (and, btw, I'm not saying anything bad about Liszt's music, and not all of his music is that way) and it is more, eh, appropriate I think for men to play it. That being said, if I heard a recording of Liszt played by a woman, it wouldn't really bother me at all as long as it's quality playing. Just *watching* it is a little weird.

Would sunglasses be necessary here?

... Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chopin Music Forum Index -> Recordings and Performers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: