Chopin Music Forum Index Chopin Music Forum
Community of Classical Music Lovers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

<<<RATE THIS PRODUCT>>>

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: <<<RATE THIS PRODUCT>>> Reply with quote

I'm adding a few things i saw in the online music score for you guys to rate on how good of a buy it is Smile. (I'm bored)

1.Chopin Concerto in F minor, op. 21 (2 CD set) For Piano. Includes a printed music score on high-quality ivory paper, with informative historical liner notes; a digital stereo compact disc featuring a complete performance of the concerto with orchestra and soloist, and a second performance minus you, the soloist; and a second compact disc containing a full-speed version of the complete version as well as a special -20% slow-tempo version of the accompaniment for practice purposes. The concerto is voluminously indexed for your practice and performance convenience. Published by Music Minus One. (MMOCD3075) 2+ pricing available.
Average customer rating:
Your price $39.98
Usually ships in 24 hours

2.Frederic Chopin: Premiere Ballade, Op. 23, No. 1 Composed by Frederic Chopin (1810-1849), edited by Rafael Joseffy. For piano. Format: piano solo single. With fingerings. Romantic Period. G Minor. 16 pages. 9x12 inches. Published by Schirmer. (HL.50273380)
Average customer rating:
Your price $4.95
Usually ships in 24 hours

3.Muzio Clementi: 12 Sonatinas, Op. 36, 37, 38
Your price $7.95
Composed by Muzio Clementi (1752-1832), edited by Louis Kohler. For piano. Format: piano solo book. With standard piano notation, introductory text and thematic index. Classical Period. 72 pages. 9x12 inches. Published by G. Schirmer, Inc. (HL.50252300)

4. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: 19 Sonatas For The Piano
Your price $19.95
Composed by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791), edited by Richard Epstein. For solo piano. Format: piano solo songbook. With fingerings, introductory text and thematic index. Classical Period. 314 pages. 9x12 inches. Published by G. Schirmer, Inc. (HL.50258580)

Revised and edited by Richard Epstein with a biographical sketch of the composer by Philip Hale. All text is written both in English and Spanish.

(I heard this edition sucks)

5.Johann Sebastian Bach: 15 Two-Part Inventions
Your price $4.95
Composed by Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750), arranged by Ferruccio Benvenuto Busoni (1866-1924). For solo piano. Schirmer's Library, volume 1512. Format: piano solo book. With standard notation, performance notes and introductory text. Baroque. 33 pages. 9x12 inches. Published by G Schirmer, Inc. (HL.50259790)

have fun.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Goldberg
Incorrigible Failure

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Sounds like a pretty good buy to me if you're learning the concerto, although I'm not sure about the quality of the sheet music/editting.

2) The price saves this one; I wouldn't pay a dollar more for that edition.

3) This one is well-priced, but considering the content I would go farther and consider other options (which I don't know of at the moment and am not going to research). If I'm going to buy that much music, I would prefer 10 or 15 more dollars for a high quality edition like Henle--or at least Peters, which is usually about the same as Schirmer but somewhat better-quality. Of course, it comes down to how important the music is. For me, personally, if I wanted to own the Clementi sonatinas to scan through or sight-read, I'd settle for the cheapest edition; but if I were going to study and perform them seriously, I'd go for Henle or something equal in quality.

4) The same goes for this one, and even more so than the Clementi. I don't like the "19 (or other number) Sonatas by so-and-so," mainly because they tend to mix-and-match sonatas from various time periods, so if you want all the sonatas, you'll have overlapping books (which isn't as bad as accidentally buying two editions of the exact same Haydn sonatas, as I did......). In this situation, I would most definitely go buy the Henle edition of either Volume 1 or Volume 2 (or both if I feel like going bankrupt) and settle at that. In fact, I did, and ended up buying the Henle version of Volume 2. That would be a much better buy, and I really wouldn't even consider the Schirmer book.

5) It's interesting that this book was "arranged" by Busoni, and that makes it worth a look-through. The price makes me a little uncertain, though, because 5 dollars seems almost too cheap for 15 two part inventions, even if they are all quite short. Again, it goes back to the Clementi thing. I would most likely purchase it as a sight reading tool but not necessarily as a serious guide for performance. But then, they ARE the two part inventions so it's not like you'll be way off on anything...I own the Barenreiter Urtext edition of the inventions, however, and for 10 or 15 dollars, the quality is remarkable. It offers all the known "variations" for the inventions that Bach wrote two or three times, and also includes the Sinfonia, all on superb paper and with fascinating photographs of some original manuscripts. Obviously that's the sort of thing I prefer to the Schirmer text...
beethoven
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sic Minus One stuff are amazing, I have lots of them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, i'm not actually going to buy this, i just wanted to make a new game-type thing. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chopin Music Forum Index -> Sheet Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: