Chopin Music Forum Index Chopin Music Forum
Community of Classical Music Lovers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Chopin Ballades/Scherzos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chopin Music Forum Index -> Recordings and Performers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Favorite Interpretations/Recordings?
Ashkenazy
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Kissin
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Pollini
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Rubinstein
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Zimerman
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Other
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 11

PianistSk8er
Infatuated Artiste
Infatuated Artiste

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: The Chopin Ballades/Scherzos Reply with quote

Okay, this could be quite arguable.. which are your favorite interpretations/recordings of these pieces?

For me, I would have to say..

- Zimerman for poetic 'in-touch-with-Chopin' interpretations
- Ashkenazy for VERY interesting interpretations and very neat use of staccato in places I would never have imagined (instead of legato)
- Rubinstein.. gotta love that guy

Your opinions?

(let me know if I should add to the poll)

PS

Last edited by PianistSk8er on Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
aout4
miss small hands rachopininoff lover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard much of those, but my ears are more familiar with Ashkenazy's Ballades cos I got a cd by him...

same for Scherzo, I got Yundi Li's new cd recently and the interpretation seems good (sorry I don't know how to describe like the way you guys did, so it's "good")
Scriabinist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of like Pogorelich and Bolet for Scherzi. Pogo for da FURY and Bolo for da SPEED. Haha, kidding. I like Rubinstein.

For Ballades, I don't really know. Maybe Zimerman or Pollini but that would be just too common choice. >_>
Max

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Pollini for the Ballades, Hough for the Scherzi - in fact, Hough for both (except Pollinis exceptional no.2, the only recording I've heard that has the whole picture of the piece)
krittyot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 4 ballades by Zimerman really command respect from us, don't you peeps think?
PianistSk8er
Infatuated Artiste
Infatuated Artiste

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever hear Horowitz's Ballades? It pains me to say that I'm less than impressed. =S

Opinions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Goldberg
Incorrigible Failure

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubinstein. I have ALWAYS been partial to Rubinstein's recordings for Chopin, and have listened to a good deal of them (including, obviously, the Ballades and Scherzi). As I've related several times, he was really the first "real" pianist I ever listened to, and at one point I thought that he was like the ONLY pianist in the world, ever (sorry, Cziffra!). Heh, I was very ignorant for about a year after my lessons....and during that time I really only bothered buying Rubinstein's Chopin discs. Now almost anyone else I listen to Chopin--except for a few individual pieces (and the ones Rubinstein didn't record)--seems to irritate me with "odd" rubato, say, or different tempi, phrasing, ornamentation, etc.

I know it's not a good idea to be so close-minded (and really I'm not entirely closed about it), but that's just how it happened, that I have such a developed affinity to Rubinstein!
Helling

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my anti-Horowitz sentiments are rather known and often give rise to discussions, but in any case I must say that Rubinstein is among my favourites for the ballades.

Incidentally, I cannot really bring to mind many really "legendary" pianists having performed the ballades. I know Rachmaninov recorded the third (and it is not my favourite recording of his but it has more to do with the piece than his playing). Also Paderewski recorded the third and fourth, but his interpretations are often looked upon in a rather negative fashion. There is only a piano roll of the former, and a seriously "beyond prime" radio recording of the latter.

No recording from one of my favourites (Rosenthal) either. Not sure about Friedmann but I think he recorded some. And actually I am not completely updated on Cortot - for some reason I cannot recall exactly which ones he has recorded.

Pollini is not bad for a modern Chopin performer, but I always find his interpretations strangely unsatisfying, as if he does not really bring out everything inherent in pieces. But maybe it is just some subconcious discrimination of contemporary pianists.
Goldberg
Incorrigible Failure

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I know what you mean...

As far as anti-Horowitz sentiments, I think I can sympathise with them in general, and more particularly, I've never been very fond of his Chopin. I'm not sure how deep your sentiments go, however, but I assume I'm probably more fond of him than you are--*although* I don't really listen to him much, except really for Russian music, Beethoven (niether of which I care much for) and Liszt, for whom I have Cziffra...

Anyway, Horowitz's Chopin is just "weird" in my book, but I suppose you can have stranger...
Sightreader

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrau's Chopin recordings always amaze me. Of course I also like Rubinstein and Ashkenazy, and haven't listened to the others but will have to do so.
Brewtality

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kissin is on the poll but Cortot isn't? not impressed.
I agree with whats been said about Rubinstein's ballades. I actually prefer his ballade 1 to Hofmann's which had been my favourite until recently. Hofmann's ballade 4 is great, and yeah im a huge Horowitz fan and i like his Chopin. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chopin Music Forum Index -> Recordings and Performers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: