Chopin Music Forum Index ChopinMusic Forum
Community of Classical Music Lovers

FAQFAQ   Forum RulesForum Rules   LinksLinks   LibraryLibrary   MemberlistMembers   SearchSearch
  ProfileProfile   Favorites   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in  RegisterNew User

Favorite Chopin sonata
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which is your favorite Chopin sonata?
No.1
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
No.2
46%
 46%  [ 6 ]
No.3
38%
 38%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 13

virtuoso_735

virtuoso_735

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Favorite Chopin sonata Reply with quote

Which is your favorite Chopin sonata and why?

My favorite is probably no.2, though I am ambivalent at times between no.2 and no.3, as they are perhaps the greatest of Chopin's works, along with the Ballades, Fantasie in F minor, and the Concerti. The no.2 and 3 have good form, expressive qualities, and unsurpassed virtuosity.
virtuoso_735 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
beethoven
Moderato
Moderato

beethoven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you didn't put no.3, then I voted for no.2. I don't really like no.1, it's a tad wierd. Razz
beethoven is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
virtuoso_735

virtuoso_735

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually could you delete this one since I didn't put no.3
virtuoso_735 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Amnesia
Moderato
Moderato

Amnesia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There, I added no. 3 Smile
Amnesia is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
virtuoso_735

virtuoso_735

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amnesia wrote:
There, I added no. 3 Smile

Okay. Wink

Now it's fair.

I can't really decide between no.2 and no.3.
WinterWind_23

WinterWind_23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.2 is probably the most structurally sound and large. It's so difficult and requires virtuoso technique. I think I like 2 best. 3rd is right after. I haven't heard 1 yet, so I can't comment on that one.
WinterWind_23 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Amnesia
Moderato
Moderato

Amnesia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't listened to all the sonatas properly, so I can't really chose. I'm sure they're all beautiful though Smile
Amnesia is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Medtner

Medtner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer No. 3 because I like the music better and the sonata structure is a lot more solid than that of Nos. 1 and 2.
Medtner is offline View user's profile Send private message
WinterWind_23

WinterWind_23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medtner wrote:
I prefer No. 3 because I like the music better and the sonata structure is a lot more solid than that of Nos. 1 and 2.

No.2 is much more structurally solid. It's much more tidy then the third. But then it doesn't make it more better, in terms of preference. I enjoy the 2nd and third equally, though 2nd may be greater.
WinterWind_23 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Jeliness2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love no.3. I wish i could play it.
Jeliness2 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
WinterWind_23

WinterWind_23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.3 is very difficult indeed!

But I'm sure you can play it in the future. Wink

I think no.3 is probably most difficult, or was that 2nd? Not sure.
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Jeliness2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, i wish.
Jeliness2 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Philip Daniel
Moderato
Moderato

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medtner wrote:

I agree, and furthermore must say that the content of the third sonata is also more exellent than the first two. The first movement is a tour de force of potential contrapuntal development and contains a wealth of memorable themes and harmonic relationships. The second movement contains a section of Chopin's wonderfully original heterophonic polyphony framed by a first section with recapitulation full of virtuosic joy, and is my favorite of his scherzos. The next movement is a beautiful rhapsodical piece recalling Bellini's style of long-limbed melodies and looking forward to both Brahms & Wagner harmonically & contrapuntally. Words cannot come close to describing the pleasure that is the last movement.The third sonata is his most promising piece before the Cello Sonata Wink.
Philip Daniel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
virtuoso_735

virtuoso_735

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the second sonata was "greater". The first movement of the second is more organized and generally more neat; as the third sonata first movement is more rambling and has many more ideas, though not as well organized. The scherzo from the second sonata is greater and larger than the third sonata scherzo. The largo from the third sonata is a masterpiece of Chopin, very emotional, yet abstract and abstruse. The last movements of both are exhilarating. The third sonata finale is larger and more exciting on a whole, but the second sonata finale is like nothing else Chopin wrote before.
WinterWind_23

WinterWind_23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also thought second was generally considered greatest. It's his masterpiece in sonata form. Though the third is also great, it doesn't compare to the magnitude and power of the 2nd. The 2nd is also much more popular because of the Marche Funebre.
Go to top
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chopin Music Forum Index -> Frederic Chopin All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: