Chopin Music Forum Index Chopin Music Forum
Community of Classical Music Lovers

FAQFAQ   Forum RulesForum Rules   LinksLinks   LibraryLibrary   MemberlistMembers   SearchSearch
  ProfileProfile   Favorites   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in  RegisterNew User

Ashkenazy + Chopin = ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chopin Music Forum Index -> Recordings and Performers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krittyot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignaz Friedman played Chopin's music the best. If you think Zimerman's Ballades is good. Well, Friedman is the ultimate choice though he only recorded no.3 and no.4 but they are superior. His nocturne op.55, no.2 is the most studied nocturne ever plus his op.62, no.1 is just unbeatable, the true artistic level. His dazzling technique can't be surpassed. He's regarded by many pianists to be the greatest Chopin pianists. Even Horowitz also indirectly admitted this. Go out and buy as many CDs as u can find from Friedman. I really encouage u all to listen to this master. The best of the best.
krittyot is offline View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Goldberg
Incorrigible Failure

Goldberg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably buy some Friedman recordings pretty soon--thanks for the suggestion.

I've also recently, for about a week or two, discovered a Hungarian pianist named Tamas Vasary. Has anyone heard him?? HIS Chopin nocturnes are, imo, incredible. I don't know much about him otherwise though, but I'd love to hear more (apparently he's got a Liszt disc out but, having heard samples of all the pieces, I really can't say it appeals t me....he's far too poetic for Liszt, or at least for the piece he plays on the CD).

I'm still not ready to give up Rubinstein, but Vasary is right up there with him (though I'm pretty sure he hasn't, or perhaps did not, if he's dead, recorded nearly as much of Chopin's music...)
Goldberg is offline View user's profile Send private message
Thracozaag

Thracozaag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krittyot wrote:
Ignaz Friedman played Chopin's music the best. If you think Zimerman's Ballades is good. Well, Friedman is the ultimate choice though he only recorded no.3 and no.4 but they are superior. His nocturne op.55, no.2 is the most studied nocturne ever plus his op.62, no.1 is just unbeatable, the true artistic level. His dazzling technique can't be surpassed. He's regarded by many pianists to be the greatest Chopin pianists. Even Horowitz also indirectly admitted this. Go out and buy as many CDs as u can find from Friedman. I really encouage u all to listen to this master. The best of the best.

Unfortunately, his recording of the B minor sonata is currently being used as pavement somewhere in Perth Neutral
If you want to hear the ultimate 4th ballade though, listen to Hofmann's from Casimir Hall.

koji (STSD)
Thracozaag is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Brewtality

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldberg wrote:
I will probably buy some Friedman recordings pretty soon--thanks for the suggestion.

I've also recently, for about a week or two, discovered a Hungarian pianist named Tamas Vasary. Has anyone heard him?? HIS Chopin nocturnes are, imo, incredible. I don't know much about him otherwise though, but I'd love to hear more (apparently he's got a Liszt disc out but, having heard samples of all the pieces, I really can't say it appeals t me....he's far too poetic for Liszt, or at least for the piece he plays on the CD).

I'm still not ready to give up Rubinstein, but Vasary is right up there with him (though I'm pretty sure he hasn't, or perhaps did not, if he's dead, recorded nearly as much of Chopin's music...)

I have his Rach 2 but haven't listened to it closely. His recordings don't seen to be that widely available, although that might just be here. Vasary also contributes some hilarious commentary on the Art of Piano DVD, it rivals Kissin's imo.

I agree with Koji about the Hofmann Ballade 4- an exceptional performance. His Ballade 1 from the Golden Jubilee was my favourite until i repeatedly listened to Rubinstein's.
Brewtality is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Go to top
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chopin Music Forum Index -> Recordings and Performers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: