Chopin Music Forum Index ChopinMusic Forum
Classical Music Community

FAQFAQ   Forum RulesForum Rules   LinksLinks   LibraryLibrary   MemberlistMembers   SearchSearch
  ProfileProfile   Favorites   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in  RegisterNew User

Need a piano!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amnesia

Amnesia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Need a piano! Reply with quote

Some of you may know, I am spending several months in Palm Springs, California, away from my piano and am in need of something to practice on! Cool I will take a trip to Los Angeles or somewhere nearby and look for a piano to rent while I am here. Ideally, I would like a baby grand... but in the worst case I could settle for an upright. What do you guys suggest.. any reliable model/brand in particular worth looking for that would go for not too much money?...
Amnesia is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
PianistSk8er
Administrator
Administrator

PianistSk8er

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you back here Amnesia. Smile

If money is a true factor here, I have been most satisfied with all newer brands of Yamaha uprights and/or baby grands. Maybe give them a look?

Good luck!
PianistSk8er is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Amnesia

Amnesia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PS Cool

Yamahas are great pianos I agree, but I am not faced with such a wide variety of choices, so I might have to settle for whatever they have Razz
Amnesia is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Goldberg
Incorrigible Failure

Goldberg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonia is a, in my opinion, superb alternative to Yamaha. I've played on some good Petrofs in a similar category, but I've also played some horrid ones--nevertheless, they're manageable. I would recommend staying away from Kawai or Baldwin if possible, and be wary about Mason and Hamlin, though one might suffice for the short-term. If you're slightly luckier, you might find a good Schimmel or August Forster--again, not the greatest piano brands but they have a tolerable and semi-European tone about them (especially Schimmel). Sauter seems to have a good product line without high costs...

Oh, and look into Pramberger, Boston, and Essex if it really gets down to it. All seem closely related to Steinway, especially Boston and Essex...not to suggest they're on the same quality level...but they're decent budget student pianos.

All in all, Yamaha would probably be the best choice for the price unless you somehow get a choice of Yamaha, Estonia, and, say, Schimmel. Let us know how it turns out!
Goldberg is offline View user's profile Send private message
Go to top
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chopin Music Forum Index -> The Piano All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: