Chopin Music Forum Index Chopin Music Forum
Community of Classical Music Lovers

FAQFAQ   Forum RulesForum Rules   LinksLinks   LibraryLibrary   MemberlistMembers   SearchSearch
  ProfileProfile   Favorites   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in  RegisterNew User

Mendelssohn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
virtuoso_735

virtuoso_735

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Bach was relatively unknown after his death, and that mainly only his keyboard works and a few random pieces were still known. Mendelssohn was one that truly brought the true genius out of Bach's music, and exposed it to the world.
virtuoso_735 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
beethoven
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

beethoven

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

virtuoso_735 wrote:
I believe Bach was relatively unknown after his death, and that mainly only his keyboard works and a few random pieces were still known. Mendelssohn was one that truly brought the true genius out of Bach's music, and exposed it to the world.

That's right, and don't forget Mozart as well. He arranged lots of Bach fugues for sting quartet groups, in his youth, as a practice of Harmony and Counterpoint.
beethoven is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
virtuoso_735

virtuoso_735

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach was revived by Mendelssohn, much like Horowitz revived Scarlatti's sonatas.
virtuoso_735 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
WinterWind_23

WinterWind_23

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

virtuoso_735 wrote:
Bach was revived by Mendelssohn, much like Horowitz revived Scarlatti's sonatas.

Yes, but not single-handedly, as mentioned before. He was not appreciated enough before Mendelsohnn's era, mendelsohnn made him popular and recognized him as a great composer before most did. Mendelsohnn was pretty famous then, so he could have brought such revival.
WinterWind_23 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
PianistSk8er
On Horowitz-style hiatus ;)
On Horowitz-style hiatus ;)

PianistSk8er

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

virtuoso_735 wrote:
PianistSk8er wrote:
You should also look into buying a book of various works by him, that is how I really got into playing some of his music, and I really enjoyed it. Smile

Philip, that's quite an exhaustive list of Mendelssohn scores. I don't think it's extraneous for a pianist to get all of that. A better idea would be to get Mendelssohn's complete Song without words, which is a great grazing area for pianists, as well as miscellaneous works, such as the Rondo Capriciosso, the Scherzos and Fantasies op.16, the Fantasie in F# minor, etc.

I couldn't agree more. Having bought a complete recording set and sheets of the SWW was what had instantly made me appreciate Mendelssohn. These pieces are each filled with passion, playfulness and wonderful creativity in any sense. I would truly recommend taking a look at those. My personal favorite being Opus 30 Number 4, just simply amazing beauty.

The best of luck with your discoveries with this composer! Smile
PianistSk8er is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
WinterWind_23

WinterWind_23

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PianistSk8er wrote:
virtuoso_735 wrote:
PianistSk8er wrote:
You should also look into buying a book of various works by him, that is how I really got into playing some of his music, and I really enjoyed it. Smile

Philip, that's quite an exhaustive list of Mendelssohn scores. I don't think it's extraneous for a pianist to get all of that. A better idea would be to get Mendelssohn's complete Song without words, which is a great grazing area for pianists, as well as miscellaneous works, such as the Rondo Capriciosso, the Scherzos and Fantasies op.16, the Fantasie in F# minor, etc.

I couldn't agree more. Having bought a complete recording set and sheets of the SWW was what had instantly made me appreciate Mendelssohn. These pieces are each filled with passion, playfulness and wonderful creativity in any sense. I would truly recommend taking a look at those. My personal favorite being Opus 30 Number 4, just simply amazing beauty.

The best of luck with your discoveries with this composer! Smile

I was going to buy a recording, but they didn't have it. Couldn't find it at least.

Anyways, I do agree that they are perhaps mendelsohnn greatest works for piano. It is quite an accomplisment. They are characteristic of Mendelsohnn and represent his piano music fully. I have only played the Agitation from it though. The it fun and not too hard to play.
WinterWind_23 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Go to top
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chopin Music Forum Index -> Romantic Period All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: