Chopin Music Forum Index Chopin Music
Community of Classical Music Lovers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to practice effectively?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRach
i hate rovolCz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes Chang's book. I agree, it's a wonderful book and has improved my playing a lot.
lol_nl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRach wrote:
I've never heard of Bach's Polonaise in G minor... I had no idea he wrote polonaises...

It is a small piece from Anna Magdalena's notebook or something. Toghether with his famous Minuet in G.
lol_nl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chozart wrote:
play fast passages like staccato - slowly and with, what my teacher refers to as, "active fingers".
another thing you can do is start with the first note and each time you add another note in the sequence, repeat all the previous, making an accent on the most recently added one (so c major scale would go like this (descending): c; c, B ; c, b, A ; c, b, a, G; etc...).

Then, when you're confident, do these excercises a bit quicker, but still so that your hands are free.

And as mentioned above, work with separate hands.

Eventually, play with both hands - still slowly.

When your even further confident, try a bit faster at a comfortable speed.

I've found these things to be quite helpful, and they've just become habit. Smile

And then? If you are able to play a piece, what do you do then? Playing only in the final stage, so fast enough and very musically? If I do that it all goes wrong. I start making many mistakes, etc. etc. Mostly most of the pieces can not be played for my teacher during 1 lesson. So when I can play a piece very well, he waits for the next lesson because there is not enough time (he is usually very slow and gives way too much information on just 1 piece). So at the time of the next lesson the piece is less good.

And another question....
How long should you take to study a piece? I have about 2-3 hours time a day. How long should I take the first stage (hands seperately)? Or does it depend on how well I play at that moment? I can never say whether I'm good enoguh to go on to the next stage (combined hands) and speed it up. I just simply don't know WHEN is "good enough".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chopin Music Forum Index -> Piano Playing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: