Login or Register to hide advertisements

How much would tuning cost?

The piano: historical and mechanical information
Post a reply

Postby virtuoso_735 » 19 Oct 2005, 18:48

Aout, do you notice a big (positive) change in sound after a tuning?

Voicing helps the piano either sound mellower (softer or less harsh). Usually, the piano technician uses special needs to soften or change the structure of the fiber of the hammers. U1's tend to be bright, so it's a good idea to get it voiced if you find it harsh or too loud. Other voicing techniques include steam ing to soften the sound, or a liquid hammer softener. Needling is the most predictable and controllable method. You can also brighten up your piano, but I don't think you'd want that. :)
virtuoso_735
Registered Musician

Postby aout4 » 20 Oct 2005, 10:22

I don't really think there's much difference after tuning, except, strangly, I notice one or two of my keys will have a "rusty" sound (u know what i mean? like when you press the key, you heard a "sa sa" sound) when it's time for tuning....so whenever the keys goes "sa sa", I know the tuning guy will call me sooon. lol

I wonder if voicing is expensive, cos my old piano has been there for nearly ten yrs without tuning, and the sound is horrible! (it was already horrible when I was playing it ten yrs ago) I just hope I can do something about it, but I'm not sure what can be done to it.....

aout4
miss small hands rachopininoff lover

Postby lol_nl » 04 Feb 2006, 11:19

In my neighbourhood the tuners (not VERY good, but quite ok) need 50-60 euros (about $60-$75)
lol_nl
Registered Musician

Postby tony » 02 May 2006, 19:09

my tuner costed. 100$. I like the way it sounds now.
tony
Registered Musician

Postby PJF » 11 Jul 2006, 23:06

I live in Louisiana, USA. The cost of living here is probably lower than, for example, San Francisco. That said, I pay $80 for a tuning of my Kawai RX3.
That price is very reasonable. I would pay up to $120 for a really good technician, more than that I would complain.

I have it tuned every two months. It's very important to choose a reputable piano technician. Try looking for one at a University School of Music, if possible. If a tuner ever does a bad job, let him know. My piano tuner, Sam, comes in the morning.
He wants to be fresh because he knows I'll take him to task without hesitation.
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Registered Musician

Postby PJF » 11 Jul 2006, 23:09

aout4 wrote:I don't really think there's much difference after tuning, except, strangly, I notice one or two of my keys will have a "rusty" sound (u know what I mean? like when you press the key, you heard a "sa sa" sound) when it's time for tuning....so whenever the keys goes "sa sa", I know the tuning guy will call me sooon. lol

I wonder if voicing is expensive, cos my old piano has been there for nearly ten yrs without tuning, and the sound is horrible! (it was already horrible when I was playing it ten yrs ago) I just hope I can do something about it, but I'm not sure what can be done to it.....

I bet you are hearing dust that has accumulated in the action. When the tuner comes, he probably cleans it.

Is your piano usually open?

Pete
PJF
Registered Musician

Postby johnmar78 » 11 Jul 2006, 23:51

Pete, i just lucky enough to learn to tune the grands in the last 3 years thru a retird piano tuner(78) that trained by the yamaha.
People like you should learn to tune the piano, its not hard but requires a good ear and good touch
johnmar78
Registered Musician

Postby PJF » 12 Jul 2006, 00:42

Ironically, I can't tune a piano because I have perfect pitch. I always tune each string on the exact pitch. I'm completely unable to temper the piano. If I try to temper, it drives me crazy, like fingernails on a blackboard.

Pete
PJF
Registered Musician

Postby johnmar78 » 12 Jul 2006, 18:44

haaaaa, Pete, you are a very interesting person to talk too. If I had been in US, I would like to meet you???

I am impressed with your hearing ability. I tune my grand very 4-6 weeks only a minor ajutment on few keys--20 minutes
johnmar78
Registered Musician

Postby PJF » 13 Jul 2006, 02:31

I also can't transpose well. The overtones change so much in a tranposition, the music sounds totally different. Perfect pitch is a blessing in some aspects and a handicap in others. Weird overtones make me sea-sick.

p.s. I was in Sydney for three weeks last month as a chaperone for a student exchange program. It was a nice change of climate from the sub-tropical summer we have here in Louisiana!

Pete
PJF
Registered Musician

Postby johnmar78 » 13 Jul 2006, 18:37

I am not good at transposition, but I had a student once(13) he was very good of doing it. If i try, it will come but slowly.

By the way my c3 mod is around 5-10% heavier tahn the full size grand. Its almost the same as the german pianos.

You notixced that the german piano is slight heavier than the Jap models.

The very old german piano is rather flimsy but ver light actioned, for some reason their is a trend that people prefers a heavy touch for cetain periond of time but in the last 5 years, the yamaha came out with a lighter touch and mellower tone grads. Perhaps this is what the end user wants- like you said. FOCUSED on music but not the weights..
johnmar78
Registered Musician

Previous

Post a reply

Return to Pianoforte