Back to Home Forum Index

Dehumidifiers (Dampp-Chaser)

Discussion of the piano: historical and mechanical information.
Post a reply

Dehumidifiers (Dampp-Chaser)

Postby Jeliness2 on Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:26 am

Well, today, a piano technician came today and we decided to get a humidity regulator for our piano because the everchanging weather conditions here.

http://www.dampp-chaser.com/

What do you think about this system? Have any of you used it?
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Postby LaPianistaLoca on Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:11 pm

Well, it sounds like a money scheme. Does it work?
LaPianistaLoca
Registered Musician

Postby Jeliness2 on Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:59 am

Well, I'm not sure... Once It's tuned, we'll see.
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Postby Max on Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:09 am

Why not just put some bags of silica gel inside? They absord humidity from the air and they're cheap (they put them inside shoeboxes to keep them dry, but I'm sure you could get them elsewhere)
Max
Registered Musician

Postby MindenBlues on Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:00 am

I considered too to eventually buy a Dampp Chaser.

I asked some for me important questions about that, but got no answers from Dampp Chaser.
My questions were:
1) As I have heard, the system is always under electrical power. If I estimate about 50W power all the time, this costs about 50,- Euro per year only for the electrical power. Is this true?

2) The system is installed below the soundboard. But what about the wood parts inside the grand piano? Is more or less only the soundboard regulated in humidity, but not the inside parts?

Since I got no answers, I have now a much cheaper humidifier below the grand, and switch it on as soon as the humidity drops below 50%, what happens during the winter period. During summer, the humidity goes in my region up to 90%, so I will check out the idea from Max with dehumidity bags, putting inside during summer.
MindenBlues
Registered Musician

Postby Jeliness2 on Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:52 pm

Actually, to have the damppchaser work for the whole piano correctly, the lid has to be partially up. weird.
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Postby MindenBlues on Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:01 am

Jeliness2 wrote:Actually, to have the damppchaser work for the whole piano correctly, the lid has to be partially up. weird.

Have you placed a hygrometer inside the grand piano to check?

I only open the lid partially or fully if I play. Otherwise too much dust comes inside the piano. So it has to work with closed lid foremost.

However the humdifier I placed below the grand, makes his job as far as I see- the humidity inside the piano is raised with closed lid. If I open the lid, the humidity drops because the surrounding humidity is less than the humdity below the piano where the humdifier is placed.

Since the dehumidifier costs so much power (money for operating) and since my tuner told me that too dry is more dangerous as too wet, I think I will only use the humidifier.

Furthermore I do not like that artificial stuff screwed on my old Steinway.
MindenBlues
Registered Musician

Post a reply

Return to The Pianoforte