Back to Home Forum Index

Piano Stores (and my totally irrational hatred of them)

Discussion of the piano: historical and mechanical information.
Post a reply

Postby Ash_Mofidi on Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:12 pm

jre58591 wrote:
Ash_Mofidi wrote:
jre58591 wrote:
tony wrote:hmmmmmm have we met before? :roll:nice to meet you Ash! :)

you have met ash mofifi. you met me too on the chopinfiles forums, which is now 6 feet under.

Nice to meet you too,tony :D
jre I'm not mofifi :evil:

oopa sorry. you can blame my tiredness on that.

Ok,no problem :wink:8)

Ash_Mofidi
Registered Musician

Postby tony on Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:07 am

cool nice to meet you too jre... I hope you get some sleep.. :lol::wink:

tony
Registered Musician

Postby MindenBlues on Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:30 pm

Goldberg, after reading your intial message, I partly can understand the reaction from the piano store salesman.

It might be a better idea instead of playing a passionate liszt piece (what you certainly played not really softly, so I assume from the reaction...), to play a more softer piece first, but with lot of feeling. I am sure the salesman is more pleased about that instead listening to a loud show-off piece.

At least with this approach I had a really very nice piano store event in the Xmas period last year. It happened in Germany/Ibbenbüren, in one of the world largest music store (http://www.musik-produktiv.de). They had a Kawai Plexiglass grand piano there, and I played the Chopin etude 25/1 first. I do not know why but it sounded so good to me and I felt comfortable with the keyboard action that I almost forgot where I was. At the beginning one heard soft Xmas music in the background, but after a short time they switched the music off. After I finished with that etude I heard applause, and after I turned myself I saw a little crowd standing there, and the salesmen applauded too. That was a VERY exiting moment to me!
After that I went from piano to piano, started to play my whole repertoire stuff by heart, one piece on each piano (Chopin and Bach pieces). It was really well accepted.

My conclusion is, if someone tries to let out the beauty of a piano (and there is beauty in EVERY piano, more or less), especially in the soft tone area, you will get accepted, I am pretty sure.
MindenBlues
Registered Musician

Postby tony on Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:53 pm

that sounds a bit..*show-offy*... not to offend... :roll::wink:

tony
Registered Musician

Postby MindenBlues on Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:43 am

tony wrote:that sounds a bit..*show-offy*... not to offend... :roll::wink:

Well, I experienced it that way. If it sounds like self-praise, then let me apologize for that. And I would not have written it if the situation in that store was so completely different to what Goldberg wrote about. If someone likes to listen to, I posted the mentioned etude 25/1 on pianosociety http://mp3.pianosociety.com/Chopin-25-1-schmidt.mp3.
The recording is in no way perfect, and how i played it in that store was surely also not perfect. However I felt myself very good!

The keypoint for me is, no salesman likes if someone enters the piano stores and starts with a loud virtuous piece with octave passages or so. It is better to try to discover the beauty of a certain piano - every piano has it own beauty, it must only be released. Of course everyone is more attracted by a certain model, that is another story.
MindenBlues
Registered Musician

Previous

Post a reply

Return to The Pianoforte