Happy Holidays to all members of the Chopin Music community!

Piano Sonata No. 5 in C

Discussion of composition and inspiration. Share your compositions and have them critiqued!
Post a reply

Piano Sonata No. 5 in C

Postby calebrw on Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:11 pm

Piano Sonata No. 5 in C
Dedicated to Hal Owen
Op. 21
Voices: Solo Piano
Key: Various: C, G, E-flat, A-Flat
Tempo: Varios: Andante, Allegro, Minuet (Quarter = 90)

As promised, I am now "showcasing" my fifth Piano Sonata.

Overview:
This is a three movement Sonata for solo piano. The first movement is sonata form. It begins in C major and then in G major. It varies back and forth between the two. There is one brief developmental section in E-Flat major. The second movement is a minuet and trio. The third movement is titled: "Rondo: Allegro" but is not in stict rondo form. Instead it is ABACAD"ACABA where 'D"' is the key of G Major. The piece is just over 19 minutes long.

The dedication:
The piece is dedicated to Hal Owen (he's from Compose Forums) simply for the fact that I would not have written the piece without have seeing his explanation of sonata form and his later explanation of rondo form.

New Links:
Full Archive 1.36mb (You will need a program that unarchives .rar's)
.MUS & .MID Only

Old Links: (Still Work)
PDF, MIDI, MUS (about 1mb)
MIDI
MUS

As always, please give feedback.
Last edited by calebrw on Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
calebrw
Registered Musician

Postby calebrw on Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:54 am

I have done some editing since I last posted.

This new edition is the "First Edition".

In the first movement there are some additions as far as chords go. These are the biggest changes. There are also some additional accents. These changes occur toward the end of the piece.

In the second movement, there are few changes until the "Trio" section in which the repetitive left hand is not so repetitive. There are some eighth notes, etc. and not E-Flat chords.

The most profound changes occuring in the third movement. These are not neccessarily large changes in an of themselves, but each of the "regressions" now is in a different key. The "B" Theme is now in the Key of G. The "C" Theme is now in the key of D. The "D" Theme is still in the key of G. The second time around, the "C" Theme is in the key of E. Finally, the last "B" theme is in the key of D. Either "B" could have been in the key of B-Flat, and I may see how that sounds, but I like the key of D better. I did switch the keys up even on theme repititions to mix it up a bit.

The PDF is now one file with a cover sheet. In the future, I may split these files if they are too big in to multiple archives, but you will have to have WinRAR or similiar program. Speaking of WinRAR, the full version is a .RAR archive. The MUS/MIDI combined archive is a .ZIP though. Also the date is wrong, the date is supposed to be the 31st of July, not the 30th. I believe the dedication date is correct.

I had to upload some new files so the links are included:

Links:
Full Archive 1.36mb (You will need a program that unarchives .rar's)
.MUS & .MID Only
calebrw
Registered Musician

Postby b3n on Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:26 am

I really like this sonata. The 3rd movement would probably be my favorite.

What program do i open the .mus files in? I tried Finale 2004 but it didnt work...
b3n
Registered Musician

Postby calebrw on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:16 pm

thanks, I use Finale 2005, so that could explain your difficulty in viewing it

this doesn't work all that great, but you could open the .mid in finale and see it, but there would be no markings...just notes...
calebrw
Registered Musician

Postby b3n on Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:09 am

Yeah i did that, but it interprets timings and rhythms etc differently to you would have originally entered. Plus its kind of messy. Ill just download the pdf :wink:
b3n
Registered Musician

Postby calebrw on Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:14 pm

Sounds like a plan to me :wink:
calebrw
Registered Musician

Post a reply

Return to Pen and Paper