Login or Register to hide advertisements

Do you compose straight to sheet, or do you have to play it?

Composition and inspiration. Share your compositions and have them critiqued!
Post a reply

Do you compose straight to sheet, or do you have to play it?

Postby Max » 03 Oct 2004, 08:16

I honestly find it easier to compose straight to sheet, but..I also like using Cubase to play in stuff. So its a dead tie I think.
Max
Registered Musician

Postby ChopinBallade » 03 Oct 2004, 12:53

i compose straight to my head and never have a prob remembering anything
ChopinBallade
Registered Musician

Postby Philip Daniel » 03 Oct 2004, 16:28

ChopinBallade wrote:i compose straight to my head and never have a prob remembering anything

Same here. No need to say any more, do I :wink:?
Philip Daniel
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby beethoven » 04 Oct 2004, 09:32

I can compose both ways. But, most of the time, I play my own stuff.
beethoven
Registered Musician

Postby Robert » 04 Oct 2004, 15:36

I have tried to use composing programs but everything just sucks that I do not compose at the piano. It is impossible to find the real feeling about it and I prefer compose right on paper with no instrument at all before use a midi-program. I must be able to feel the dynamics, touch, pedal, legato, staccato, close my eyes and listen to my hands, listen to the mood. The stiff midi kills my inspiration.
Robert
Registered Musician

Postby PianistSk8er » 04 Oct 2004, 17:15

Robert wrote:I have tried to use composing programs but everything just sucks that I do not compose at the piano. It is impossible to find the real feeling about it and I prefer compose right on paper with no instrument at all before use a midi-program. I must be able to feel the dynamics, touch, pedal, legato, staccato, close my eyes and listen to my hands, listen to the mood. The stiff midi kills my inspiration.

True, I do not like any kind of MIDI interpretation, to be honest. To think that it's a computer generating the sound kind of kills all feeling of the piece. ;)As for the question on hand.. whenever I've "tried" to compose, I've never used a computer, so I just write it onto paper as soon as I have played it on the piano and liked it. Sometimes I will try composing using chord movements/progressions or using harmonic accompaniment before I even play on the piano. Or sometimes just find a nice melody on the piano and then go work on that away from the piano. I like to play around with it. But as I said, I tend to stay away from all computer-ized things like that. ;)

PS
PianistSk8er
Violin Concerto Enthusiast
Violin Concerto Enthusiast

Postby Rach4 » 09 Apr 2005, 17:06

I just use pen and paper, and change things I don't like after I get to hear it.
Rach4
Registered Musician

Postby Max » 09 Apr 2005, 17:17

Philip Daniel wrote:
ChopinBallade wrote:i compose straight to my head and never have a prob remembering anything

Thats pretty incredible...were you just born with that talent then? Or is there a lesson I can take? :lol:
Max
Registered Musician

Postby Philip Daniel » 10 Apr 2005, 19:19

Max wrote:
Philip Daniel wrote:

Thats pretty incredible...were you just born with that talent then? Or is there a lesson I can take? :lol:

I'm not that talented...any composer with a good ear can write music directly from his mind and soul to paper, without the intervention of an instrument.
Philip Daniel
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby tony » 10 Apr 2005, 19:25

well i dont think so there is pitches melodies you realy need to look in to that. ps. mozart was like one of tyhe only ones realy good at doing that.
tony
Registered Musician

Postby tony » 10 Apr 2005, 19:27

I also think if the music sounds good and quality to you it doeznt matter if its bye hand, or bye ear, or computer..
tony
Registered Musician

Postby calebrw » 10 Apr 2005, 22:46

hmmm, i can go both ways, some time i remember stuff and then try to put on paper (mem. to comp. doesn't seem to work for me), or straight to paper, or straight to computer, man...so i guess that's no really a definative answer...srry...
calebrw
Registered Musician

Postby Fryderyk » 11 Apr 2005, 02:15

tony wrote:well i dont think so there is pitches melodies you realy need to look in to that. ps. mozart was like one of tyhe only ones realy good at doing that.

They all could. All great masters...

Fryderyk
Registered Musician

Postby pocorina » 11 Apr 2005, 13:50

You're wrong!! My music teacher is always telling me how Mozart could just compose straight to score without any editing or playing through at the piano. However, he is famously quoted for having requested a piano for his room in Vienna one time, because "he couldn't compose a thing until he had one". So he couldn't.

And not all great masters could. Beethoven, for instance, spent AGES revising and replaying his pieces.
pocorina
Permanently Banned

Postby Max » 11 Apr 2005, 13:57

I find I can't compose without one, because often I look for pianistic effects as well, and thats hard without a piano.
Max
Registered Musician

Next

Post a reply

Return to Pen and Paper