Back to Home Forum Index

What are you playing now?

Discussion of stress, skills and technique associated with the performance of this instrument.

Postby MindenBlues on Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:25 am

PJF wrote:A few years ago, my current schedule would have indeed been impossible. My improvement in the last 18 months, especially, has been miraculous. (I credit that to Chopin's Etudes and regular use of Hanon as well as my own compositions.) What makes learning all that inside of a year (okay, fourteen months :oops:) possible, is the ability to accurately read something through and coordinating right away, albeit at a slow tempo. Keep in mind, I have perfect pitch, perfectly symmetrical arms and hands, a photographic memory, and am a very good sight reader. I'm genetically lucky, I guess. I'm also more than a little crazy.

Amazingly! Shows what is possible if one is really blessed. Do you play professional? With your talents doing a job beside music seems to be a waste of ressources! Please post recordings!!!
MindenBlues
Registered Musician

Postby trouillards on Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:48 pm

johnmar78 wrote:good work. Ravel sonatine is great. Thast the furthest I played from Chopin. Ravel...its really like some kind of oriental musci in the second movement..lower bass parts.

Ravel is wonderful, one of the most diverse composers i know. I'm completely fascinated by him at the moment.

trouillards
Registered Musician

Postby PJF on Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:13 am

MindenBlues wrote:
PJF wrote:A few years ago, my current schedule would have indeed been impossible. My improvement in the last 18 months, especially, has been miraculous. (I credit that to Chopin's Etudes and regular use of Hanon as well as my own compositions.) What makes learning all that inside of a year (okay, fourteen months :oops:) possible, is the ability to accurately read something through and coordinating right away, albeit at a slow tempo. Keep in mind, I have perfect pitch, perfectly symmetrical arms and hands, a photographic memory, and am a very good sight reader. I'm genetically lucky, I guess. I'm also more than a little crazy.

Amazingly! Shows what is possible if one is really blessed. Do you play professional? With your talents doing a job beside music seems to be a waste of ressources! Please post recordings!!!

I'm not professional, yet. A major competition in 2007 will largely decide my future. No pressure! :lol:
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby Jeliness2 on Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:04 am

I spent the majority of today learning Barber's Ballade Op. 46 and working on my beethoven concerto...

The Barber is really cool. Though for some reason there was a pain in my pinky; I guess I hit the hit the ff too loud... lol
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Ballade Number 1 Opus 23

Postby CrazyaboutChopin on Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:57 pm

I'm studyng the Ballade, basically just start like 4 pages. If someone have some sugestion about how to study that one, wil be nice. I know slowly is the first thing...

Thanks

Eliana
CrazyaboutChopin
Registered Musician

Postby PJF on Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:34 am

Today, a breakthrough, I played the Rondo of Chopin's E minr concerto @112 along with the recorded orchestra part. No mistakes. :D

I'm HAPPY!

Pete
PJF
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby PJF on Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:28 pm

Claude Bolling "SUITE FOR FLUTE & JAZZ PIANO TRIO". It's a bit contrived in places, but I love it!

Pete
PJF
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby Goldberg on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:35 am

This is what I've worked/have been working on on for the main part of the semester:

Liszt: Hungarian Rhapsody no. 5 (finished), Funerailles (still needs some work obviously), La Campanella

Godowsky-Chopin: Etude no. 2 (Op. 10 No. 1 v. 2 in Db major, LHO), No. 6 (Op. 10 No. 5 v. 1 in Gb Major), no. 12a (Op. 10 No. 5 v. 7 in Gb major, LHO), Waltz in F minor op. 70 no. 2

Chopin: Random mazurkas (I can give numbers for anyone *cough elf cough* who's interested in the ones I'm actually learning and not sight reading)

Beethoven: "Tempest" Sonata Op. 31 No. 2

Scriabin: Etudes Op. 2 No. 1, Op. 8 no. 11

Shchedrin: Humoresque (I found this piece on my computer today and have started working on it just for fun)

Those are the main pieces for now, and it's obviously quite a bit, except when you keep in mind that I've worked extensively on the first two Liszt pieces already (and incidentally I played La Campanella a very long time ago, so it's not too difficult for me to bring back to life, although it is, as my teacher says, at an extremely high level of virtuosity if you wish to play it correctly). Still, I have also been exploring other repertoire and will be working on, starting next month or next semester, some of the following (when I list sets I do not mean that I will learn the complete sets, btw!):

Alkan: 25 Preludes
Shchedrin: 24 Preludes and Fugues
Bach: Contrapunti from The Art of Fugue
Chopin-Godowsky: another bunch of etudes. (I have a plan outlining how I will learn 24 of these devillish pieces by next year, but I'm generally more concerned with quality than quantity)
Busoni: Fantasia nach J.S. Bach, Elegies/Sonatinas (selections from either/or)
Bolcom: Rags

Those pieces are in the future, but not distant future. Distantly, I want to play something large-scale by Alkan, perhaps Le Festin d'Esope, Op. 76 (three etudes: left hand alone, right hand alone, and hands reunited), Op. 15 (Trois Morceaux dans le Genre Pathetique: Aime-mois, Le Vent, Morte), or the transcription of the first movement of the 3rd Beethoven concerto, or perhaps another piece from the op. 39 (or indeed op. 35) etudes. I am also interested in the Corigliano Etude-Fantasy, Medtner's sonatas, Liszt's operatic paraphrases and complete Paganini etudes, etc.

I have always had a wide range of interests, but only lately have I really developed the discipline required to go one step at a time.
One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.
-Oscar Wilde

You know, some people just have natural talents-like some people play the piano but aren't very tall.
-Noodle pirate
Goldberg
Incorrigible Failure

Postby elvenpianist on Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:06 am

Goldberg wrote:Chopin: Random mazurkas (I can give numbers for anyone *cough elf cough* who's interested in the ones I'm actually learning and not sight reading)

Yeah- gimme them numbahs! :P

For myself, I'm still working on the audition repertoire I gave in the other thread today (bach, haydn, Chopin, de falla), obviously.

My plans for December (which is when I'm supposed to have everything learnt by so I can start new rep) are thusly (lol dont correct me, its an elfism):

Bach- WTC bk 1 no. 6 d minor
Schubert- Moment Musicaux no. 2 in a-flat
Chopin- Etude 10/9, f minor
Mendelssohn- Etude op. 104 (I knowish this, really just needs brushing up and polishing. heard it butchered recently and feel obligated to play it well now).
And of course, I shall continue my mazurkas. I know like 15 now or something...

-elf
~Clara Glennette Georgiana Fiorkapatti

"Those little weirdnesses... Schumann- QUIRKY!" -David Dubal

"I am convinced that Bach is the greatest genius who ever walked among us." -Douglas Adams
elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

Postby lol_nl on Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:07 am

I'm working on:

-Still on Czerny Etudes.. really ugh.. and I'm not improving on it at all.

-Bach three-part inventions. I'm definately not a master at Bach. It's so different from everything else, I just can't play them well.

-Beethoven Sonata no. 10 in G op. 14 no. 2. This is a very nice sonata! Technically I have the most of the first movement done, but especially the pedal still needs some improvement. Hard to decide how much pedal a Beethoven Sonata should need.

-Rachmaninov Prelude op. 32 no. 12 in G# minor. Going pretty well, better than I expected. The right hand is still a problem, concerning the fast notes. I can play them, but I mess up when I try to rotate my wrist at the same time, which is pretty necessary in this prelude. The end is also pretty hard.
lol_nl
Registered Musician

Postby Chozart on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:20 am

My rep this semester was alright. My prof understood that I was like busy as hell in every possible way, and so I am extremely grateful to her for that. Also, we had to be careful as I was recovering from tendonitis still (and STILL am)

First semester with a new prof is always.. interesting. They don't really know how you play and stuff, only make educated guesses..

Anyway, this is what I did:
- Bach WTK I: P&F No.11 F Major
It was so fun learning this. Pretty easy too, but a great p&f!

- Beethoven "Pastoral" Sonata Op. 28 D Major
I only worked on the first mov this semester. It's a really lovely sonata. Very nice and lyrical, and tricky in nontechnical aspects

- Mendelssohnn Song Without Words in G minor
uh, I forget the opus.. it starts sort of like the Fantasie Impromptu?? ha
Anyway, it's a really lovely piece. Not too hard, but it's important to really consider Mendelssohn's style here. I absolutely love Mendelssohn. Classical romantic. I admit, though, that I had over-romanticized it (I Tchaikovsky-sized it
Next semester we're working on the rest of the Beethoven sonata, and considering some Schumann, Liszt, and/or Chopin (um hopefully a Chopin nocturne if him.. not the mazurkas, because I'd butcher them lol @[email protected]). She wants me to do that Bach Chorale (Nun komm der Heiden Heiland, I think.. you know, Horowitz has that gorgeous recording of it), which is not going to be as easy as the p&f's I've done cuz it's like.. 5 voices?? But it's soooo niiiice... and possibly a 20th century piece, for which we're leaning towards Rachmaninov (though what, I don't know..??).
However, she wants me to do some chamber music too.. so if I find a violinist and a cellist, I might substitute some of that for the Mendelssohn Op.49 D minor trio.

So ya...
Chozart
"Brendel-like" Mozart & Bach fanatic

Postby PJF on Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:40 am

Still refining the Chopin E minor concerto; I'm getting confident.

Started Rachmaninoff's second last month, about a third memorized at this point. Worked through the hardest parts of Rach's third, feeling secure about a future performance, when? I don't know.

Chopin Etudes, all (but not all at the same time!). These etudes are in a constant state of flux, evolving. As soon as I think I'm done with one, I see some other way to approach it. My performances of the etudes have been filled with wrong notes. This is so annoying; when I'm alone, I can play note-perfect renditions, put me in front of a microphone or an audience and I falter. GRRR! I suppose they will mature in my mind and fingers over time. Patience, patience, patience.

More importantly, I am getting re-aquainted with my running shoes. It's so easy for us to forget to 'smell the roses'. :P

Pete
PJF
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby Jeliness2 on Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:41 pm

Ahhh! sorry to hear about your tendonitis! One of my friends had it last year too, and it's a pain to deal with practicing and trying to heal at the same time. Hope you get better very soon!

Chozart wrote:My rep this semester was alright. My prof understood that I was like busy as hell in every possible way, and so I am extremely grateful to her for that. Also, we had to be careful as I was recovering from tendonitis still (and STILL am)

First semester with a new prof is always.. interesting. They don't really know how you play and stuff, only make educated guesses..

Anyway, this is what I did:
- Bach WTK I: P&F No.11 F Major
It was so fun learning this. Pretty easy too, but a great p&f!

- Beethoven "Pastoral" Sonata Op. 28 D Major
I only worked on the first mov this semester. It's a really lovely sonata. Very nice and lyrical, and tricky in nontechnical aspects

- Mendelssohnn Song Without Words in G minor
uh, I forget the opus.. it starts sort of like the Fantasie Impromptu?? ha
Anyway, it's a really lovely piece. Not too hard, but it's important to really consider Mendelssohn's style here. I absolutely love Mendelssohn. Classical romantic. I admit, though, that I had over-romanticized it (I Tchaikovsky-sized it
Next semester we're working on the rest of the Beethoven sonata, and considering some Schumann, Liszt, and/or Chopin (um hopefully a Chopin nocturne if him.. not the mazurkas, because I'd butcher them lol @[email protected]). She wants me to do that Bach Chorale (Nun komm der Heiden Heiland, I think.. you know, Horowitz has that gorgeous recording of it), which is not going to be as easy as the p&f's I've done cuz it's like.. 5 voices?? But it's soooo niiiice... and possibly a 20th century piece, for which we're leaning towards Rachmaninov (though what, I don't know..??).
However, she wants me to do some chamber music too.. so if I find a violinist and a cellist, I might substitute some of that for the Mendelssohn Op.49 D minor trio.

So ya...
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Postby Brewtality on Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:11 am

here's my summer rep goals:

albeniz- sevillas from suite espanola (done)
- El Albaicin from Iberia (about 3/4 of the way there)

Chopin- Barcarolle (perfecting)

Liszt - benediction de dieu (just started)

Schubert - D 960 (this is a more long term goal, which might be dropped)

everything else I've started in the past has been dropped until motivating picks up again. But with these current pieces I'm determined to finish them. I hope to play the barcarolle and el albaicin in a comp in september.

Brewtality
Registered Musician

Postby lol_nl on Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:28 pm

Winter holidays program:

1) Moszkowski: Etudes op. 72
-Etude no. 1 - 60%
-Etude no. 2 - 1%

2) Bach: Three-part Inventions
-No. 2 in c minor - 90%

3) Beethoven: Sonata no. 10 in G major, op. 14 no. 2
-Movement 1 (Allegro) - 95%
-Movement 2 (Andante) - 80%