Happy Holidays to all members of the Chopin Music community!

What are you playing now?

Discussion of stress, skills and technique associated with the performance of this instrument.

Postby Brewtality on Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:05 am

I am still working on the Rach 1, it has been over a year now. The first movement is not up to scratch technically, but is getting there. The second movement interp is not quite worked out yet. Haven't made a start on the third movt yet.

Also, I have been revising Beethoven Sonata 11 op 22 which I learnt 2 yrs ago. I saw a spectacular video of Michelangeli, which made me think "wow, I really played this badly last time".

Began working on Beethoven Third concerto last week, it is a lot easier than the Rachmaninoff and probably will be finished earlier (assuming I don't drop it after 2 weeks, which is an unfortunate tendency of mine :roll:). Tis a fun piece, I will follow the Busoni adjustments in the Cad.

Chopin third Ballade- probably needs another 2 weeks for the piece to be really technically polished, provided I work well. The interp has been stewing in my head for months.

Finally, for fun and a bit of ear training, I might try to learn some of Ernst Levy's piano pieces off the record.

Brewtality
Registered Musician

Postby PJF on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:31 am

For this year I'll be doin':
Bach keyboard toccata in e minor
Bach Prelude and Fugue No13 in F# and No15 in G WTC Book One
Mozart Sonata K:330
Beethoven Opus 27
Beethoven Opus 28
Beethoven Piano Concerto No.5 in E flat
Chopin Etudes opus 10 Nos2, 8, 10, 11 and 12
Getting an ulcer! (just kidding :wink: )
Chopin Etudes opus 25, No1, 2, 9, 10, 11, and 12
Chopin Preludes 16-24 Opus 28
Chopin Concerto in E minor
Scott Joplin The Entertainer, The Sycamore Rag and The Fig Leaf Rag
Shoenberg, (I haven't decided if I like him or hate him)

Composing variations of Chopin Etudes Op10 Nos. 1,2,5,6 and 7
Composing five original pieces in contrasting styles.
Composing a set of chorales for piano.

I practice scales or Hanon to warm up (I never spend more than 20 minutes a day, except Saturdays, usually abandoning the warm up when I am warmed up) or when I have a distinct technical problem whose solution eludes me.
Last edited by PJF on Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby Jeliness2 on Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:45 am

Clementi
Sonata in F-sharp Minor Op. 24, no.5 (just started it)
Chopin
Impromptu no.3 in G-flat Major, Op. 51
Bach
Toccata in E minor (Going great)
Beethoven
Piano Concerto in C Major, Op. 15 (Slash Slash... needs a bit of work lol)
Schumann
Arabeske in C Major Op. 15 (Pretty much polished up)
Debussy
Prelude "Les collines d'Anacapri" from Bk. 1
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Postby johnmar78 on Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:15 am

working on schezo op31, walze op42 and study op10 no 10.

All have to be memorised before further polishing.
johnmar78
Registered Musician

Postby tony on Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:56 am

Working on:
Chopin Valse Op.34, No. 2(Polishing)
-
Piano Concerto in A minor-Grieg.(Going good)
-
Bach Three - Part Invention in A Major

various scales and exercises.

tony
Registered Musician

Postby Fryderyk Biggemski on Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:19 am

Jell, how goes the work on lmpromptu ? 8)
Fryderyk Biggemski
Registered Musician

Postby avetma on Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:32 am

I am practising Winter Wind (25/11) and Liszt's Chasse-Neige (yaaay :lol:)
avetma
Registered Musician

Postby citrine_peridot on Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:46 pm

Fryderyk Biggemski wrote:Jell, how goes the work on lmpromptu ? 8)
that's an interesting way to call him...

citrine_peridot
The "Pedal-Eater"

Postby Fryderyk Biggemski on Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:44 am

And how can l call YOU, girl ? 8):)
Fryderyk Biggemski
Registered Musician

Postby Jeliness2 on Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:52 pm

er... lol

I actually have been on a little vacation and I haven't practiced piano since last wednesday. I probably will get back tomorrow.
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Postby PJF on Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:10 am

I'm working on the development of the first movement of Chopin's E minor concerto. It's insane.

My hands are sore, time for a break. A week at the beach sounds about right. 8)

Pete
PJF
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby MindenBlues on Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:59 am

My "long term" piece right now is the 1st Ballade (g minor) from Chopin. I worked the summer holiday on that and expect that it takes me a complete year to get a decent performance and recording. It is the most demanding piece I worked on so far.

Beside this, I take one after another prelude&fugue pair from Bach, WTC1, so about 1 or 2 months for one pair, and practise it until I get a satisfactorily recording which I post on PianoSociety. Have posted some of them already. Long term goal: get the WTC1 complete in my life.

And, in between some shorter pieces by Chopin. Additional I play a bit blues guitar and sing, and have Church Organ lessons. So there are organ pieces as well to learn.

To Pete (PJF):
What you listed for this year, cannot be done in one year. Sorry, but I doubt that it is possible. You wrote that you needed 3 months to get Chopin 10/4 to half speed and years to full speed. This I find traceable. But here you write a list of pieces, which would be for sure sufficient for me for 10, or even 20 years, to be honest!
MindenBlues
Registered Musician

Postby trouillards on Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:37 am

I'm currently working on:

Bortkiewicz Etude 15/8

Ravel Concerto for piano left hand only

Ravel Sonatine, 1st movement

trouillards
Registered Musician

Postby johnmar78 on Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:50 am

good work. Ravel sonatine is great. Thast the furthest I played from Chopin. Ravel...its really like some kind of oriental musci in the second movement..lower bass parts.
johnmar78
Registered Musician

Postby PJF on Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:53 am

To Pete (PJF):
What you listed for this year, cannot be done in one year. Sorry, but I doubt that it is possible. You wrote that you needed 3 months to get Chopin 10/4 to half speed and years to full speed. This I find traceable. But here you write a list of pieces, which would be for sure sufficient for me for 10, or even 20 years, to be honest![/quote]

A few years ago, my current schedule would have indeed been impossible. My improvement in the last 18 months, especially, has been miraculous. (I credit that to Chopin's Etudes and regular use of Hanon as well as my own compositions.) What makes learning all that inside of a year (okay, fourteen months :oops:) possible, is the ability to accurately read something through and coordinating right away, albeit at a slow tempo. Keep in mind, I have perfect pitch, perfectly symmetrical arms and hands, a photographic memory, and am a very good sight reader. I'm genetically lucky, I guess. I'm also more than a little crazy. :lol:

My technical acumen is a hundredfold compared to 2003. I now don't have any obvious technical weaknesses, so I don't use any time building up strength, but rather practice artistry. Therefore, my progress is much, much faster. For example, I memorized Chopin's E minor concerto (all of it) in ten weeks. I still have a few kinks to work out, but I know all the notes. Two years back, my relatively weak technique was a limiting factor, but not any more. I also don't have a day job, so I have lots of free time. My lifestyle is best described as, monastic. Huge sacrifices are made.

Yes, it is a lot, but certainly not imossible. Nothing is impossible. I can give you a timeline of my progress if you wish. (I'll post a few recordings of mine as soon as I acquire the necessary equipment.) Of course, success wasn't overnight. I started out, as everyone else does, at the most basic level. I try my best to improve tangibly every week. I usually do. It's not easy, sometimes maddening, but worth every bead of sweat.

I've been motivated by a comment my father once made to me as a child. We were listening to Beethoven's Appassionata. I said, "I want to play like that", my father replied with a chuckle and said sarcastically, "I bet you can! :roll:" I'd have been damned if he was going to tell me what I could and could not do. I prove him wrong every day. Is it a vendetta? Perhaps, but I use the animosity to my advantage.

Bring it.
:twisted:

Pete
PJF
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

PreviousNext

Return to Piano Playing