Back to Home Forum Index

Your Repertoire for the 2005-2006 Year

Discussion of stress, skills and technique associated with the performance of this instrument.
Post a reply

Your Repertoire for the 2005-2006 Year

Postby Jeliness2 on Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:17 pm

What are you guys looking forward to working on this year?
This year, I'm going to most likely have a Chopin recital, which is cool since we're all big Chopin nerds. Fanatics! So, I will be polishing up a lot of the old small scale works by him.
And since I've been neglecting the etudes, I guess I shall be forced to learn some more. eggh, the thought of having to bring my technique to somewhere semi-virtuosic is sickening. lol I'm still having trouble with some of Mozart's left hand passages! :-(:oops:So, I was thinking of these possibilities for what I have to prepare in my Chopin repertoire:

Etudes:
Op.10
no.3
no.4
no.5
no.6

Op. 25
no.1
no.3
no.5
no.9

Nocturnes
Op. 9
no.1
no.3

Op. 37 no.1
Op. 48 no.1

Scherzo no. 2 or 3
Ballade no.3
Random Polonaises and Mazurkas (lol probably my teacher will decide, but mazurkas will probably be OPUS 24)
Prelude Op.28 no.24
Waltz Op.42

I'm also going to be trying to add some more Liszt pieces :-)I know I'm avoiding him, but it just seems like I don't know much about his music to choose any of his pieces, and when I find a piece, I don't feel like printing it out, because most of his works on the sma are so condensed that it would take out half my printer's ink.

And for long-scale works,

I'm thinking of tackling some chamber music. Any recommendations? After I have a yard sale this summer, I might earn enough to buy some new music, instead of being leant it by my teacher. I'm currently begining to start the Toot Suite by Claude Bolling for Trumpet and Jazz Piano. This is okay until the words "Jazz Improvize." My immediate response is "no" I will not stumble about the keyboard poking at random keys and trying to accompany them with chords that take me 15 seconds each to process and another moment to figure out how I should play it.

Anyway, for Piano Sonatas, I'm doing the Schubert Sonata in D major Op.53, Mozart Sonata in C Minor K. 457, Beethoven's Sonata in G Major Op. 31 no.1, and maybe starting Brahms Sonata in F Minor Op.5 and Schumann's Sonata in G Minor Op. 22. The Schumann is tiring! lol, How I wish it wasn't marked "Presto il possible". While most recordings for the first movement are in the 5.5 minute range, my weird first attempt was somewhere in the teens of minutes. haha, of course, I did play the repeat. Though exhausting, it's certainly a blast to play. All this practicing of voicing, shaping, and phrasing in the Symphonic Etudes are really paying off. Now I know the point the composer is trying to make when they put a big fat "Sf" under a note. ;-)lol (Phrase crossing over to a new voice.)

And also, my teacher wishes that I play a lot more Brahms. Brahms. Brahms. Oh well, and I might do a few local competitions and such. Not that I would even place. People are very critical of my playing lol. Once this Russian guy told me I couldn't project my playing. And some chinese orchestra conductor from Boston said that my wrist was too high. Those are fixed, but now I'm kind of cautious about playing for other musicians for who are judging me. In Example, at an audition, I was playing my Bach Prelude and Fugue for two pianists and I lost my place and completely froze. It was quite quite embarassing. :-(And since then, I've had a huge amount of trouble with memorizing and nervousness because I will forget what I am playing. lol, My memory used to be so good, but that audition just gave me the creeps about my playing. You should have seen me at my solo recital- I ended up using my music for half the program! Not very Liszt-Recital-ish. I am ashamed. :cry:
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Postby Max on Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:06 pm

Bach and lots of it! Big gap in my repetoire there, so I'm going to correct that problem before its too late.

I will hopefully have finished the Rach 2 in the next 6 weeks, so I can take my next 'big' project, I'm thinking the Liszt Mephisto Waltz.. I also want to get some more Beethoven under my belt, and I have a huge urge to learn more Debussy Preludes.
Max
Registered Musician

Postby LaPianistaLoca on Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:45 pm

I'm hoping to work on more of Mendelssohn, some Liedoerohne Worte since I've put that off for quite a while. I don't know why - I like the pieces well enough. Perhaps it's just general laziness.

I've been neglecting some of Chopin's etudes, too. I haven't touched Op. 10 No. 6 except for 3 lines.

I want to focus on some Rachmanioff nocturnes. The ones in F Sharp Min , F Maj, and C Sharp Min.

And, of course, Poulenc's nocturnes. Some nice contemporary change.
LaPianistaLoca
Registered Musician

Postby Jeliness2 on Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:07 pm

Max, it seemed that by now you learned all the Debussy Etudes already!
LPloca -Ooh, can you record some for us? That would be awesome to listen.
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Postby Goldberg on Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:25 am

I'd also like to have a recital but then I've been talking about that shit for years...*sigh*

Here is the obligatory annual list of pieces that I'd like to work on but will probably never learn in full:

Liszt: Spanish Rhapsody; buncha HRs (I'd love to do all of them); some TEs (1, 5, 6, 8, 10, 11, 12); PEs (1, 2, 5); Liebestraum (1, 3); Consolations (2, 3); Berceuse; a lot of the ADP (I won't list them all, but things like William Tell Chapel, Gondeliera, Cazone, Il Pensero, Dante Sonata, La Jeaux at whatever Villa d'Este or whatever..lol, etc.); Gnomenreigen and Walderschauen; Fantasy and Fugue on B.A.C.H.; Waltz from "Faust" (Gounod); Lucia and Parisina: Concert Waltz (Donizetti); Almira: Sarabande and Chaconne (Handel)...and who knows...good Lord, that's way too much already...

Chopin: Waltzes op. 34 no. 3, op. 42; Polonaise op. 53, posthumous in G-sharp minor; Nocturnes op. 15 no. 3, op. 27 no. 1, Op. 37 no. 2, op. 55 no. 2, op. 62 no. 2; Impromptus no. 2, no. 3; Allegro de Concert; buncha mazurkas; Fantasy in F minor...yeah.....right.....

Saint-Saens: Suite for Piano, op. 90; random etudes (like op. 111 no. 6, op. 52 no.'s 1, 2, 3, 6); Les cloches de soir, op. 85; Theme Varie op. 97; Valse langoureuse op. 120; Gavotte, op. 23; whatever else...

Mendelssohn: First etude; P&F in e minor; Rondo Capriccioso; and several random pieces (scherzi, fantasies, songs without words), maybe in the F-sharp minor fantasy

Dohnanyi: Etudes op. 28 no's 3, 4, 5, 6; some other random things maybe...

Haydn: Sonata Hob XVI: 37 in D major; Hob. XVI: 46 in Ab major; Hob XVI: 36 in C-sharp minor; Hob XVI: 52 in Eb major

Bach-Busoni: Organ Prelude and Fugue in D major

Plus some random hoohah like, hopefully, Bartok, Sorabji, Bach (of course), Couperin, Rameau, some Hungarian composers, and maybe some Spanish pieces too.

How much will be done by next year? Maybe two or three of those...
Goldberg
Incorrigible Failure

Postby Mephisto on Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:15 am

Hamelin Scarlatti etude.

Some pieces from third year of annes de pelerinage.
myabe TE no11 because I already know no 1 and I need one more and the others are out of the question technicly other than no3 and I dun know what I think about no3.

Some pieces from musica ricericata by Ligeti.

Some pieces wich I haven`t heard before that my teacher wil give me.

-The Mephisto

Mephisto
Registered Musician

Postby pianoplayer on Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:21 am

Well, I may not be able to finish all of these pieces, but I'll try to anyway.

Chopin
Ballade no.1
Ballade no.2
Etude op.10 no.1
no.2
op.25 no.2
no.6
no.11
Scherzo no.2
Nocturne op.9 no.1
op.48 no.1
Polonaise op.53

Liszt
Un Sospiro
La Campanella
HR 2
Mephisto Waltz no.1
GGC

Kapustin
Jazz Etude no.1

Man... I really want to start doing a concerto...
pianoplayer
Registered Musician

Postby citrine_peridot on Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:19 pm

for next year

Chopin
mazurka op59n3
nocturne 37n2, 55n2
prelude 28n17
polonaise op71n2 and 3 maybe the 1st one as well.polonaise-fantasie op61
AND clean up Op53 .(actually I played it on a gorgeous Petrof last Wednesday...it went horrible ...but the people in that piano store was so nice that the *Mark* guy with a composer's last name lied to me :"you DO play beautifully" ...I still feel shameful...maybe it was because the Un Sospiro went well. :roll:

the trois nouvelles etudes and the 25n4 in A-minor
currently,I am doing the exactly same thing with his etudes as Sylvia(LPL, your name, right?) the Chopet book had been there since... the piano was there, and all I know is the 25th F-minor one...at least my playing of the 10n6's first page sound pretty good...I think

piano part the cello sonata op21 (I will find a cellist after I finish it.)

I am sure I want some other Chopin... I will add some more later.

Beethoven--sonata Op109 in E-major

Bach-- the 2nd french suite and 1 or two P&Fs.maybe some the partitas~~~~~~~~~

ahh, Bach is so hard for me: my playing never sound clean and I just can't stick with it for hours ...

Liszt---9th TE, yeah, the most popular one, who cares. I just want to learn it like an etude(for my technique) and play it like a real piece.(for my enjoyment)maybe the 3rd one too, if my fingers magically grow to a tenth. and at least one "manly" piece... you guys will laugh at me if I say it ~~~~~~~~~~

some Prokofiev prokofiev with lame titles like Tales of Old Grandma(something like that)
Rachmaninoff's ET op33 no1, 2, 3,9 (way out of my league~~~~~~~~~i want to learn some Russian pieces just for the sake of learnning Russian music)

some short Schumann and Schubert ...impromptu and stuff...

Before I step my feet on those pieces, I think I will at least put something up here in a week ``````Chopin polonaise in A-flat major, what else do I know????????(unless there are still people who didn't get sick of Un Sospiro :roll:)

So, for people who see this post, call me a nasty "whatever" if I come up with nothing by next week...if my playing sounds nasty(very likely to happen), please be nice~~~~~~~~~

citrine_peridot
The "Pedal-Eater"

Postby Tessei on Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:39 pm

rach - sonata no 2
balakirev- sonata
liszt - funerailles.
prok sonata no. 1
Tessei
Registered Musician

Postby juufa72 on Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:43 am

Albeniz Asturias Leyenda from Suite Espanola Op.47 No.5

J.S Bach Toccata in D minor

A.M Bach Minuet

Beethoven Sonata Op.27 No.2 'Quasi una Fantasia'

Burgmueller Arabesque

Chopin Nocturne in C sharp minor Op. posth.
Chopin Sonata Op.35 'Marche Funebre'
Chopin Prelude Op.28 No.15 'Raindrop'
Chopin Prelude Op.28 No.20
Chopin's Prelude Op.28 No.6
Chopin's Prelude Op.28 No.4
Chopin's Prelude Op.28 No.18
Chopin's Mazurka Op.63 No.1
Chopin's Mazurka Op. 63 No.2
Chopin's Mazurka Op.63 No.3
Chopin's Mazurka Op.33 No.4
Chopin's Funeral March Op.72 No.2

Satie Gnossienne No.1
Satie's Gnossienne No.2
Satie's Gnossienne No.3
Satie Gymnopedie No.1
Satie Gymnopedie No.2
Satie's Gymnopedie No.3

Bartok's Romanian Folk Dance No.1 'Stick Game'
Bartok's Romanian Folk Dance No.2 'Peasant Costume'
Bartok's Romanian Folk Dance No.3 'Standing Still'

Brahms' Hungarian Dance No.5
Brahms' Wiegenlied

Haydn's Gipsy Rondo

Joplin's The Entertainer

Liszt's Consolations n.1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Liszt's Ave Maria
Liszt's Nuages Gris
Liszt's Hymne de l'enfant a son reveil

Morovsky's Adagio in A major

Prokofiev's Vision Fugitives Op.22 No.17 'Poetica'

Ravel's Prelude 1913

Scarlatti's Sonata k083

????'s Jeux Interdits

Mozart's Marche Funebre KV453a
Mozart's Sonata KV545

SOOOOO MUCCCHHH! :shock:
juufa72
Registered Musician

Re: Your Repertoire for the 2005-2006 Year

Postby PianistSk8er on Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:13 pm

Jeliness2 wrote:[...]Random Polonaises and Mazurkas (lol probably my teacher will decide, but mazurkas will probably be OPUS 24)

Nice choice pal. 8)

My tentative repertoire this year, probably subject to many future changes...

BACH
Prelude and Fugue Book 1 Nos. 21 and 23

BRAHMS
Intermezzo op. 117 no. 1

CHAMINADE
Automne op. 35 no. 1

Chopin
Polonaise no. 1 (op. 26/1)
Nocturne op. 72 no. 1

DEBUSSY
Arabesque no. 1
Prelude from Suite Bergamasque

HAYDN
Sonata no. 5 in C major

LISZT
Liebestraume no. 3

Heh, plus gr. 11 at school -- expect another hiatus soon enough! :P

PS
PianistSk8er
Aspiring Horo-Cziffra
Aspiring Horo-Cziffra

Re: Your Repertoire for the 2005-2006 Year

Postby Jeliness2 on Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:29 pm

PianistSk8er wrote:BRAHMS
Intermezzo op. 117 no. 1

Awesome Piece!
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Postby Nocturneguy on Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:47 pm

Chopin:
Sonata 3....hahahahahaaaaaaa
Ballade 4
Scherzo 4
Heroic Polo
Polo op.22
Fantasie Polo
Fantasie
Waltz op. 18
4 undecided etudes
A mazurka opus....heh
A noct opus....heh
MAYBE....BIG maybe....Sonata 2....but i HIGHLY doubt it....i already know first mov...so, yea

Liszt (help me god)
La Campanella
Mazeppa
HR 6
Un Sospiro
Sonetto del Petrarca (I LOVEEEEEEEE THIS PIECE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, especially played by da HORO)

Beet:
Appassionata sonata

Bach:
Some preludes

Schumann:
Fantasy op. 17 ( not sure about the opus)

Rach:
Prelude in C sharp Minor
Nocturneguy
Registered Musician

Postby Jeliness2 on Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:53 pm

Nocturneguy wrote:Chopin:
Sonata 3....hahahahahaaaaaaa
Ballade 4
Scherzo 4
Heroic Polo
Polo op.22
Fantasie Polo
Fantasie
Waltz op. 18
4 undecided etudes
A mazurka opus....heh
A noct opus....heh
MAYBE....BIG maybe....Sonata 2....but i HIGHLY doubt it....i already know first mov...so, yea

Liszt (help me god)
La Campanella
Mazeppa
HR 6
Un Sospiro
Sonetto del Petrarca (I LOVEEEEEEEE THIS PIECE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, especially played by da HORO)

Beet:
Appassionata sonata

Bach:
Some preludes

Schumann:
Fantasy op. 17 ( not sure about the opus)

Rach:
Prelude in C sharp Minor

Sonata 3- Hmmm, lol. Good luck w/ that!
Ballade 4 " " " "
Scherzo 4 Awesome choice here.
Heroic Polo- Eww. lol Better not play it exactly like horowitz on that freaking bright piano ;-)
Fantasie Polo- Funn Fun
Fantasie- in F Moll?
Waltz op. 18- More Fun

Liszt
La Campanella (aahhhhhh worst nightmare)
Mazeppa (ok that last one was nothing compared to this)
HR 6 (Ahhh. X Infinity)
Un Sospiro Finally an easier one.
Sonetto del Petrarca- Which one? I play 123, but it's kind of like a mini-liebestraume.

Beet:
Appassionata sonata- Gigantic. Good luck!

Schumann:
Fantasy op. 17- Heh there's a reason why I haven't started this one yet...
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Postby Nocturneguy on Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:50 am

Awesome ratings, jeli, thanks! Why havent u started the Schumann? I looked at the sheet today and its not as ridiculously hard as Liszt. Well, ok, the coda IS hell. Anyways, excuse my obvious ignorance, but is Mazeppa really that much harder then LC?
Btw, I wanna learn the Sonetto da horo plays in Moscow...which one is dat?
Nocturneguy
Registered Musician

Next

Post a reply

Return to Piano Playing