Login or Register to hide advertisements

Your Ultimate Goal Piece

The art and science of piano performance and technique
Post a reply

Re: Re:

Postby PJF » 15 Sep 2008, 21:13

PianistSk8er wrote:
PJF wrote:I'm once again considering Rach's 3rd. :|I think I can do it, but it's soooooo looooooong!!! :shock:(intimidated)

Did you ever make progress on that? :D

PS

Nice of you to ask, Nico...

I've made steady progress over the last two years. I have the piece (which is huge) in my head! (I memorized it.) But it's not in my hands. I can see my self playing it in years or even decades from now....I have to grow as a performer before I can actualize the dream. The last year has been consumed by a shoulder injury...But I'm coming back.

A nice Haydn Concerto sounds good for now! :lol:

I find it interesting how pianists go through a non-linear evolution. If I don't get my technique back, I'm going to explode! There's so much music in my head it makes me dizzy!
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Registered Musician

Re: Your Ultimate Goal Piece

Postby PianistSk8er » 17 Sep 2008, 02:09

Interesting that you say you have it in your head but not in your hands. It seems to me most of the music I know is stored in the muscle memory of my fingers...

In any case, I do hope your shoulder injury will heal quickly and fully. As for me, what's keeping me from the piano is a lack of time. :cry:
PianistSk8er
Violin Concerto Enthusiast

Postby PJF » 17 Sep 2008, 12:15

I definitely learn music in my head way before I play it (I learn it "in my ears" first) theoretically second, and muscularly last. (I can write out a piece before I can play it!)

My shoulder is nearly fully healed; I'm just out of practice. I haven't stopped learning new music, I've got dozens of new pieces in my head that I haven't played. (Although I think I know them; I've yet to prove it; time will tell.)

Speaking of time, don't worry about it, Nico! When you're out of college, you'll have tons of it. (Not.:lol:)

Remember, time is money; an investment today will pay huge dividends in the future!

How is university going, BTW?

Pete
PJF
Registered Musician

Postby PianistSk8er » 20 Sep 2008, 01:51

PJF wrote:How is university going, BTW?

Well, second year is slowly becoming more demanding. I have no doubt that this time next month I'll be wishing things were as slow as they are now!

I'm lacking the variety I had in first year (all physics and calculus now as opposed to general engineering sciences), but I chose my discipline so I suppose I should be happy with it. The biggest challenge is actually getting enough sleep, as I have three 8am classes per week (and two 9am), but I'm learning to deal with that.

Long story short, things are going well! Now if I could only find a way to incorporate piano practice into my schedule... :|

PS
PianistSk8er

Postby PJF » 20 Sep 2008, 16:26

I'm sure after you graduate, things will...temper...a bit. :lol:

Good luck guy!

Pete
PJF
Registered Musician

Postby cwok1975 » 20 Oct 2008, 14:27

My ultimate goal piece is the Toccata from Ravel's Le Tombeau de Couperin.

Realistically, my goals right now are to learn all my grad school audition literature:

Beethoven: Sonata No. 8 in C minor
Chopin: Etude, Op. 10, No. 12 in C minor "Revolutionary" and Op. 25 No. 1 in A flat major "Aeolian Harp"
Ravel: Sonatine
Debussy: Estampes, 3. Jardins sous la pluie
and, probably one of the Bach English Suites.

It's a lot to work on but seems worth it.

CAR
cwok1975
Registered Musician

Postby BrokenFingers » 26 May 2010, 21:01

Dream: Rach 3 (Sticking to the 'Piece' in the topic, but I'd probably have to add Chopin Ballade no. 1, although I'm not quite sure exactly how difficult that piece is.)

Realistic: Op 10 no. 12, Liebestraume no. 3, Elegie (Rachmaninoff) over the next two months or so.

I'm still young more or less, so maybe some day I can reach my dream piece ; O Seeing Lugansky play it in Phillidelphia on Saturday :D:D:D
"If a composer could say what he had to say with words, he would not bother trying to say it with music" -Mahler
BrokenFingers
Registered Musician

Postby PianistSk8er » 31 May 2010, 09:33

BrokenFingers wrote:Dream: Rach 3 (Sticking to the 'Piece' in the topic, but I'd probably have to add Chopin Ballade no. 1, although I'm not quite sure exactly how difficult that piece is.)

Realistic: Op 10 no. 12, Liebestraume no. 3, Elegie (Rachmaninoff) over the next two months or so.

I'm still young more or less, so maybe some day I can reach my dream piece ; O Seeing Lugansky play it in Phillidelphia on Saturday :D:D:D

Depending on your level, I don't believe Chopin's first ballade will be very difficult. At least I think it would be much less difficult than Op 10 No 12! I played that ballade about five years ago, but I didn't play it very well. I'm currently in the process of restoring it. I can play about half the piece decently now.
PianistSk8er

Previous

Post a reply

Return to Piano Playing