Back to Home Forum Index

Your Ultimate Goal Piece

Discussion of stress, skills and technique associated with the performance of this instrument.
Post a reply

Postby citrine_peridot on Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:42 pm

Chocturne wrote::D Hi I'm a newb, I've only just started playing this year and I've only just started scales....but anyway my dream/goal/ULTIMATE pieces are my favourite Chopin Nocturnes: (and by favourite I mean OBSESSED with lol)
op.9 no. 1 B Flat Minor
op.9 no. 3 B major
op.15 no.2 in F Sharp Major
op.27 no. 1 C Sharp Major
op.72 no. 1 E minor
Nocturne in C Sharp Minor (from the Pianist)

I desperately want to be able to play them EXACTLY how Idil Biret interpreted them. She is brilliant, those are my aim but not just to play them but to play them PERFECTLY I dont' care if it takes me a lifetime!!!!!!!! I also love Baracolle, Berceuse and Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto no. 2
My realistic pieces and the ones I'm playing at the moment are Mozarts Turkish March and Valse Petit Chien by Chopin.......... : :oops:
Can anybody tell me if there is one stand out hard piece out of those...personally I reckon it would be no. 1 in C Sharp Major :obut I could be wrong.
Oh yeah Are there any specific excersises that would help the technical side specifically for nocturnes....?? And on a scale of 1-10 how hard are these pieces??

trust me, your goal pieces would be a lot different, let say...two years from now...

I thought those rating things are really subjective cause it really depends one your experience and how you want them to come out... out of all those nocturnes I bet the C#minor posth is the hardest of them all because you gotta be *really something* to make a over-played like that to stand out (fyi, in those older piano forums you can find at least two C#minor noct in each page of the audition room sub-forum...) 27n1 and 9n3 might be a bit more note-y but they wouldn't be that much of a disaster if you give yourself a few year to explore Chopin and all that good stuff...

citrine_peridot
The "Pedal-Eater"

Postby PJF on Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:50 am

Chocturne wrote::D Hi I'm a newb, I've only just started playing this year and I've only just started scales....but anyway my dream/goal/ULTIMATE pieces are my favourite Chopin Nocturnes: (and by favourite I mean OBSESSED with lol)
op.9 no. 1 B Flat Minor
op.9 no. 3 B major
op.15 no.2 in F Sharp Major
op.27 no. 1 C Sharp Major
op.72 no. 1 E minor
Nocturne in C Sharp Minor (from the Pianist)

I desperately want to be able to play them EXACTLY how Idil Biret interpreted them. She is brilliant, those are my aim but not just to play them but to play them PERFECTLY I dont' care if it takes me a lifetime!!!!!!!! I also love Baracolle, Berceuse and Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto no. 2
My realistic pieces and the ones I'm playing at the moment are Mozarts Turkish March and Valse Petit Chien by Chopin.......... : :oops:
Can anybody tell me if there is one stand out hard piece out of those...personally I reckon it would be no. 1 in C Sharp Major :obut I could be wrong.
Oh yeah Are there any specific excersises that would help the technical side specifically for nocturnes....?? And on a scale of 1-10 how hard are these pieces??

Just three suggestions:

Always be brave, always be patient and always pursue the truth. (Read, read, read!)
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby Chocturne on Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:13 am

:DThanks everyone!! Some really good suggestions that I will definately follow. I went to the You Tube website and saw some really.....*ahem* interesting interpretations of some of those pieces. Some were really terrible haha!! :shock:
I actually downloaded all the sheet music for the ones I want to play, yeah some....(Cos I can't read music that well yet) are just like reading jibberish :?
But I'll learn them eventually!!
So close and yet so far.........
Nocturnes rule ALL!
Chocturne
Registered Musician

Postby Jeliness2 on Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:24 pm

I really hope I can learn the solo piano version of Ravel's la valse sometime...
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Postby jre58591 on Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:37 pm

szymanowski's 2nd sonata is a new goal for me, along with alkan's op 39 and/or op 35 (more reasonable, but still hard).
jre58591
Registered Musician

Postby Brewtality on Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:45 am

jre58591 wrote:szymanowski's 2nd sonata is a new goal for me, along with alkan's op 39 and/or op 35 (more reasonable, but still hard).

woah, dya mean the whole of op 39? the concerto scares the hell outta me.

Brewtality
Registered Musician

Postby jre58591 on Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:33 pm

Brewtality wrote:
jre58591 wrote:szymanowski's 2nd sonata is a new goal for me, along with alkan's op 39 and/or op 35 (more reasonable, but still hard).

woah, dya mean the whole of op 39? the concerto scares the hell outta me.

hey, i figured i might as well shoot for the whole thing, for i couldnt possibly decide on a favorite within that opus. ill probbaly never learn the whole thing properly, but it would be fun to try.
jre58591
Registered Musician

Postby lol_nl on Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:08 am

I would be happy if I could play Schubert's last sonata, even if that was the only piece I could play.
lol_nl
Registered Musician

Postby trouillards on Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:24 pm

I'd like to be able to play all the concertos written for Paul Wittgenstein. Someday.

trouillards
Registered Musician

Postby PJF on Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:48 am

I'm once again consideing Rach's 3rd. :|I think I can do it, but it's soooooo looooooong!!! :shock:(intimidated)
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby juufa72 on Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:27 am

Complete, record,and submit onto Piano Society, Tchaikovsky's Album for the Young op.39. And all the Satie piano works that I have in my collection: 3 Gnossiennes
3 Gymnopedies
3 Nocturnes
3 Sarabandes
3 Valses Distinguees
3 Veritables Preludes Flasques
Avant-denieres Pensees
Chapitres Tournes en Tous Sens
Croquis et Agaceries d'un Gros Bonhomme
Descriptions Automatiques
Embryons Desseches
Enfantillages Pittoresques
Heures Seculaires et Instantanees
Je te veux
La Diva de l'Empire
Le Fils des Etoiles
Menus Propos Enfantins
Peccadilles Importunes
Pieces Froides (Airs a faire fuir)
Pieces Froides (Danses de travers)
Poudre d'Or
Prelude de la Porte heroique du Ciel
Rag-Time Parade
Sonatine Bureaucratique
Sonneries de la Rose + Croix
Sports et Divertissements
Vieux Sequins et Vieilles Cuirasses
juufa72
Registered Musician

Postby jre58591 on Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:11 am

if i can ever even do the busoni concerto half-assedly, ill feel like ive climbed mount everest. it makes rach 3 look like chopsticks imo.
jre58591
Registered Musician

Postby trouillards on Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:11 pm

jre58591 wrote:if I can ever even do the busoni concerto half-assedly, ill feel like ive climbed mount everest. it makes rach 3 look like chopsticks imo.

Indeed. It's spectacular. I wish it was performed more often, i'd love to see it live some day.

trouillards
Registered Musician

Previous

Post a reply

Return to Piano Playing