Login or Register to hide advertisements

Good theory books?

The art and science of piano performance and technique
Post a reply

Good theory books?

Postby BrokenFingers » 26 May 2010, 14:33

I'd like some help finding a good piano/music theory book from basic-advanced theory, as I need to learn alot of it in a very short amount of time. I'm afraid to buy anything off Amazon for fear it will be a 'beginners piano guide' in disguise, or possibly something that Liszt would use to brush up on his technique.. X D

Does anybody have any recommendations?
"If a composer could say what he had to say with words, he would not bother trying to say it with music" -Mahler
BrokenFingers
Registered Musician

Re: Good theory books?

Postby PianistSk8er » 31 May 2010, 09:27

I myself used the Sarnecki collection. For the most part, I didn't use any other books, so I can't compare, but I did find them to be quite good. There were lots of examples and exercises, and the theory was explained quite clearly.

Here's a link:
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/composers/14848
PianistSk8er
Violin Concerto Enthusiast

Postby BrokenFingers » 03 Jun 2010, 21:44

Thank you so much! Which order should I take them in? Basic - Intermediate - Advanced or 1 - 2? ehh not really sure.
"If a composer could say what he had to say with words, he would not bother trying to say it with music" -Mahler
BrokenFingers
Registered Musician

Postby PianistSk8er » 04 Jun 2010, 09:27

I believe the Theory collection is less advanced, starting with the very basics. I used the Rudiments collection, followed by the Harmony collection. I would say Basic, Intermediate, Advanced; then you could move on to Harmony, which requires a knowledge of theory.
PianistSk8er

Post a reply

Return to Piano Playing