Login or Register to hide advertisements

I practice roughly 15-30 minutes a week.

The art and science of piano performance and technique
Post a reply

I practice roughly 15-30 minutes a week.

Postby BrokenFingers » 16 Sep 2009, 21:18

I've been playing for 9 months or so now, and I have a bit of talent I guess. After three months I learned Chopin's (overplayed) Nocturne in C-Sharp op. ph then 1st Arabesque, then (the even more overplayed) Nocturne in Eb Op. 9 no. 2 and now I'm learning Rachmaninoff Prelude in C Sharp Minor op 3 no 2.

The problem is that it takes me quite awhile to learn these pieces, because I practice so little. My life has been spent with very little discipline so I tend to be really lazy when it comes to these things. Did anyone here ever have a similar problem and do you have any advice?
"If a composer could say what he had to say with words, he would not bother trying to say it with music" -Mahler
BrokenFingers
Registered Musician

Re: I practice roughly 15-30 minutes a week.

Postby PianistSk8er » 17 Sep 2009, 21:52

I used to practice all the time, but ever since I moved away from home, it's been very difficult to find a good piano to practice on, and I rarely practice more than once a week. I suppose it's like anything else... You need to really make an effort to integrate it into your schedule. Maybe every day after supper for thirty minutes or something similar. After all, it won't practice itself!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. Wish I could be more helpful...
PianistSk8er
Violin Concerto Enthusiast
Violin Concerto Enthusiast

Postby ele03piano » 26 Nov 2009, 05:00

.., I've been playing piano for years.. nobody taught.. except that someone taught me how to use the guitar... I guess if you know how to play other instrument it would just be easy for you to learn how to read notes and how to play the piano well... left hand works out naturally if you practice a lot.. consider internet helps as well.. Good day..
Last edited by PianistSk8er on 27 Nov 2009, 04:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: links removed
ele03piano
Registered Musician

Postby christinamoore » 10 Mar 2010, 02:41

Brokenfingers,

are you really determined in learning piano?
What I can advise is try not to frustrate yourself with the practice. Practicing should not be taken as a job or a responsibility; it should be taken as a goal or commitment. There are days when you feel bored or tired--let go of that, relax. Practice not because you are obliged to do it, but because your happy to do it!

My son started taking piano lessons at home three months ago coz he was so lazy to attend studio lessons. Just like you, my son is talented but he lacks discipline and commitment. He rarely practice and spends most of the time playing Wii. I decided to enroll him in http://www.learnpianoinyourhome.com, so he wont a find excuses to miss his lessons. I pursued to keep his motivation from learning the piano, and it's good to see him practicing the piano everyday.
Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons. You will find it is to the soul what a water bath is to the body. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
christinamoore
Registered Musician

Postby BrokenFingers » 06 Jun 2010, 16:16

To everyone, other than the person that promotes that stupid website in every single post he makes, thanks very much for your help. Over time I grew more determined and started wanting to practice more, now I practice an upwards of 3-5 hours a day and am working on 2 Chopin etudes (op 10 no. 3, no. 12) and Rachmaninov's Elegie. Just wanted to give an update to anyone that cared :lol:
"If a composer could say what he had to say with words, he would not bother trying to say it with music" -Mahler
BrokenFingers
Registered Musician

Post a reply

Return to Piano Playing