Back to Home Forum Index

Does it make a difference??

Discussion of stress, skills and technique associated with the performance of this instrument.
Post a reply

Does it make a difference??

Postby Chocturne on Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:52 am

Hello, I'm left handed and I've noticed that when I play, my left hand seems to have more strength and agillity compared to my right hand. Since most people are right handed, I thought maybe it effects the way that you play because my right hand is naturally weaker and less agile which means that the melody isn't as good when I'm playing. Especially trills, my left hand does them effortlessly and rapidly but my right hand is a different story. Does this eventually even out??
So close and yet so far.........
Nocturnes rule ALL!
Chocturne
Registered Musician

Postby PJF on Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:11 am

Yes, just as a right handed player has a weak left hand, your weak right hand will strengthen with the proper training. Do your scales, try to favor your right hand. Even out any muscle imbalances out with a light dumbbell. Hanon might help, but favor the right hand in those exercises. You could even do what I did; write with the wrong hand. I'm right-handed but after six months of writing only left-handed, I can now write eqaully well with both hands.
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby juufa72 on Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:54 pm

Example: hit every key within one octave as fast as you can.

I can play "faster" (though it would not be considered fast for other players) with my right hand than my left hand.

I'm right handed. My left hand is weaker. That's just natural.
juufa72
Registered Musician

Postby Brewtality on Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:57 am

I would imagine that the RH bias of most of the standard piano repertoire would develop your weaker hand sufficiently. I think that being left-handed would be an asset rather than a hindrance.

Brewtality
Registered Musician

Postby PJF on Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:27 pm

Brewtality wrote:I would imagine that the RH bias of most of the standard piano repertoire would develop your weaker hand sufficiently. I think that being left-handed would be an asset rather than a hindrance.

That's an excellent point.

I wonder if anyone has tested that theory. It makes sense, but nature has a way of throwing our hypotheses into disarray. :lol:

Any other left-handed pianists out there?
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Post a reply

Return to Piano Playing