Back to Home Forum Index

The reason Why I never learn to play piano

Discussion of stress, skills and technique associated with the performance of this instrument.
Post a reply

Re: Of course playing is great

Postby MindenBlues on Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:58 am

sarabrightman994 wrote:I love through admiration.Without mystery I cannot worship Chopin, without worship I cannot love.

I worship Chopin too. As I was in Paris, I went to his grave in Pere Lachaise. The grave is easy to find, although the cemetery is large: simply look for the grave with the most flowers. An employee there told me that there was no day he could think of at which no fresh flowers are added. A red rose came from me too...

The good message is one can admire Chopin too while playing. I just practise the 1st ballade (g minor) - almost since a year. Hopefully end of year or so it is ready for a recording. It happens often that after playing the piece at the end of a practising session that I remain on the deep G note at the end for minutes, full of gratitude for the wonderful piece (for me some of the most beautiful piano pieces ever written). Even although I know I will never come close to those beautiful interpretations like from Arthur Rubinstein or others, don't care.

The beauty of the piece is ever growing, even after several 100 repetitions for me. And the mystery (you said you need some kind of mystery) will not resolve completey even if you know all the notes by heart.

So, what is the point? Keep the mystery, but play Chopin yourself in the everlasting attempt to express the feelings for that music! At least that's my approach...
MindenBlues
Registered Musician

Postby elvenpianist on Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:14 pm

Dudes, I don't think she was being serious.... :roll:

(she DOES have Oscar Wilde listed in her profile)

-elf
~Clara Glennette Georgiana Fiorkapatti

"Those little weirdnesses... Schumann- QUIRKY!" -David Dubal

"I am convinced that Bach is the greatest genius who ever walked among us." -Douglas Adams
elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

music and literature

Postby sarabrightman994 on Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:04 am

But why cannot one love a great musician and a great writer simultaneously? I see no problem about that.

Music and literature, they are just two modalities to record and express beauty(including happiness and sadness). The essence is the same. Although personally, I think the lanuage of music is far more advanced than human languages. I don't believe in words nor do I trust them, that is why music can move me, that's why Chopin is my only love.
Believe me, no civilized man ever regrets a pleasure, and no uncivilized man ever knows what a pleasure is
sarabrightman994
Registered Musician

Postby elvenpianist on Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:06 am

VAAAAAAHHHHHAAAAAALLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

-elf

"I am convinced that Bach is the greatest genius who ever walked among us." -Douglas Adams
elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

Re: music and literature

Postby citrine_peridot on Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:52 pm

sarabrightman994 wrote:But why cannot one love a great musician and a great writer simultaneously? I see no problem about that.
I see no problem with that either, so do you worship Wilde as well?

btw, happy belated birthday elf...

citrine_peridot
The "Pedal-Eater"

Chopin is my only love

Postby sarabrightman994 on Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:52 pm

No. Worshiping one man has almost worn me out, it is a very demanding task, I don't have that much psychological energy.
Believe me, no civilized man ever regrets a pleasure, and no uncivilized man ever knows what a pleasure is
sarabrightman994
Registered Musician

Postby elvenpianist on Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:15 pm

Thanks, citrine!

elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

Re: Chopin is my only love

Postby citrine_peridot on Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:10 pm

sarabrightman994 wrote:No. Worshiping one man has almost worn me out, it is a very demanding task, I don't have that much psychological energy.

Oh, my...you made me sound so serious...

you know what, yesterday I wrote something like you got a very good point that I will quit doing all of my homework and start to worship Stephen Hawking (or the cool Russian astronomy professor) instead...as for piano and classical music all that good stuff, I apparently don't like it enough to quit playing or have my wall pasted with composers' picture and ...worship them everyday...

I deleted that damn thing I typed(I mean, it's stupid)...well, now you know what I meant...most of the members in here, when we like something, we get into it, not under it...

citrine_peridot
The "Pedal-Eater"

Re: Chopin is my only love

Postby MindenBlues on Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:52 pm

citrine_peridot wrote:most of the members in here, when we like something, we get into it, not under it...

You brought it exactly to the point, thanks for that!
MindenBlues
Registered Musician

Postby elvenpianist on Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:36 am

this is the dorkiest thread.. well... EVAH!

I propose we all get up and dance to Wagner's ring cycle!

VAHAAAAALAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

-elf

elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

Postby jre58591 on Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:39 am

elvenpianist wrote:VAHAAAAALAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

for the record, its "valhalla". hahaha.
jre58591
Registered Musician

Postby elvenpianist on Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:16 pm

lol, oh crap. :D

monkey corrects elf again!!!!!!

-elf

elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

Postby citrine_peridot on Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:38 pm

...I am starting to think that she is conducting a psychological case study (or a group survey) and see what kind of stupid things we (mainly me) can come up...

you never know what those pysch majors do...

citrine_peridot
The "Pedal-Eater"

Postby elvenpianist on Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:30 pm

citrine_peridot wrote:...I am starting to think that she is conducting a psychological case study (or a group survey) and see what kind of stupid things we (mainly me) can come up...

oh GOD I hope not. I'll be off the charts if she is, hahahahaha

*psych person writes memo about da elf: "insane, quite. insane. not mentally challenged. INSANE."

-elf

elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

Postby Goldberg on Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:25 am

citrine_peridot wrote:...I am starting to think that she is conducting a psychological case study (or a group survey) and see what kind of stupid things we (mainly me) can come up...

In that case, monkeys, turtlebutts, the world is flat, wazoo, wazoo, whootle dootle, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.
-Oscar Wilde

You know, some people just have natural talents-like some people play the piano but aren't very tall.
-Noodle pirate
Goldberg
Incorrigible Failure

Previous

Post a reply

Return to Piano Playing