Back to Home Forum Index

The reason Why I never learn to play piano

Discussion of stress, skills and technique associated with the performance of this instrument.
Post a reply

The reason Why I never learn to play piano

Postby sarabrightman994 on Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:05 pm

Hello, everyone. I am new here. I entered this site this afternoon, and happily find that there are many pianists/ musicians here. What I am addressing at the moment is the reason why I will never learn to play piano. It is very simply, because I love Chopin.

I am a psychology senior and I’m applying for Graduate school. In choosing schools I was once attracted by music therapy, but when I learned that a music therapist has to take courses like piano, guitar and other music theories, I gave up. No, I will never learn to play piano. I love him, I admire him, so I’d like to take a profession which is completely different from my lover’s. I want to worship him as god. How he managed to use his ten fingers and whole body to make out such wonderful music? What is the underlying theories of music?( I myself play violin and can read notes but I know nothing about orthodox music theories) I like the mystery, the strangeness. What he plays, is something I love very much, but I never know how he plays, which is the most enjoyable part.
Besides, I don’t want to be a potential competitor of my love. Did you hear the story of the famous French sculpture Rodin and his lover Camille? Camille is a talented girl and her sculpture works are also very excellent. She was once Rodin’s student. As she matured in her sculpture career, Rodin grew jealous gradually. He refused to help her to open exhibition. Their relationship grew worse every day( there are also many other factors of course), he finally ignored her. Camille was at last sent into mental health hospital and died there.
Personally, I think a couple taking the same vocation is a very stupid thing.( if I have offended any one who falls in love with a craft brother I want to say that I respect your choice, please don’t be annoyed.) Imagine I was one of the students of Chopin( I am not that lucky but just suppose I am), I would feel painful when I am aware of the fact that I am a potential competitor of my lover. I might even play better than him one day( I know I cannot but let’s just suppose) , and thinking about this scenario really hurts my heart. No, I want him to be greater than my in an area so I can enjoy worshiping him. Of course, I might outdo him in other areas or even many areas, but please just leave one thing that he can do far more greatly than me, let me adore him, because that is the way I love somebody. Without worship, I cannot love. And without love, oh my God, can you imaging a person without love? His/Her world must be dreadful.
So that is the reason why I never study piano. In a word, I love Chopin, deeply. Let me live in this eternal connection between he and me, let me listen to his music every day as I am doing now, forever and ever…..
Believe me, no civilized man ever regrets a pleasure, and no uncivilized man ever knows what a pleasure is
sarabrightman994
Registered Musician

Postby elvenpianist on Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:48 pm

Oh, my dear woman, you are so wonderful for feeling and thinking this way. I wholeheartedly agree that it is the only way you can truly love piano, by never playing it. To actually play Chopin's music would be the greatest desecration. I admire you for your strength of character!

But alas, my own strength of character and wisdom was not as great as yours in the days of my youth. I fell wholeheartedly in love with Robert Schumann, and, not realizing my folly, married him. It was a fatal step. I drove him crazy. This has haunted me my whole life, this horrible blot on my soul. My hands are stained with blood and will not wash clean....

:cry:
~Clara Glennette Georgiana Fiorkapatti

"Those little weirdnesses... Schumann- QUIRKY!" -David Dubal

"I am convinced that Bach is the greatest genius who ever walked among us." -Douglas Adams
elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

Postby elvenpianist on Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:59 pm

"I am convinced that Bach is the greatest genius who ever walked among us." -Douglas Adams
elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

Postby citrine_peridot on Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:29 pm

IMO, you didn't pick music therapy because you don't play piano (or don't have the drive to practice it for hours) not because you love music (or your husband) so much, when you are passionate about music, you will find your hands on the keyboard naturally...I think if you really love piano and you can play it, it's just idiotic to stay away from it because it's your husband's profession...

and please don't tell me that your husband is only good at playing the piano ...

btw, elf, the post from piano world is awesome (just exactly what people like us think)

sorry for the random return at the black friday...

citrine_peridot
The "Pedal-Eater"

Postby trouillards on Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:57 pm

citrine_peridot wrote:IMO, you didn't pick music therapy because you don't play piano (or don't have the drive to practice it for hours) not because you love music (or your husband) so much, when you are passionate about music, you will find your hands on the keyboard naturally...I think if you really love piano and you can play it, it's just idiotic to stay away from it because it's your husband's profession...

and please don't tell me that your husband is only good at playing the piano ...

She was talking about Chopin.

trouillards
Registered Musician

Postby elvenpianist on Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:23 pm

CITRINE'SSSSSSS BAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOO!!!!!!!

:D

-elf

elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

Postby citrine_peridot on Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:14 pm

trouillards wrote:
citrine_peridot wrote:IMO, you didn't pick music therapy because you don't play piano (or don't have the drive to practice it for hours) not because you love music (or your husband) so much, when you are passionate about music, you will find your hands on the keyboard naturally...I think if you really love piano and you can play it, it's just idiotic to stay away from it because it's your husband's profession...

She was talking about Chopin.

hmmmmm....
dude, you have a very good point...

haha, I admit that I never bother to read read the stuff other people write...(I just skim them and pick up the point, well, that's what science major do I guess, I mean, you never need to pay attention to all the itty bitty details of ...let say, the brief history of time...right?

well, I apologize for the stupid stuff I said (but hey, I still think it's just funny if some one is like: "wow, Chopin is so freakin cool! his music is like heavenly! ... I will never learn his music because I hate to be one of his future competitors..." well, no offense (or she can take it as one) but

"Yeah...Like you are gonna be one... "

citrine_peridot
The "Pedal-Eater"

Postby elvenpianist on Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:06 am

Well she was writing like Chopin is her boyfriend, so I don't see the need to apologise, citrine!

-elf

elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

Postby trouillards on Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:14 pm

elvenpianist wrote:Well she was writing like Chopin is her boyfriend, so I don't see the need to apologise, citrine!

-elf

Neither did I, I just wanted to clarify...

trouillards
Registered Musician

Postby citrine_peridot on Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:34 pm

don't worry guys...I never really mean it when I apologize for any of my teasing, offense, blunt comment etc.

ps. I think I really need to duck cuz I can feel that someone at somewhere is about to smash my face...oh yeah, I want a high A for my psych test...our prof is *sighs*

citrine_peridot
The "Pedal-Eater"

Postby Cubs and Red Sox on Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:59 am

is it okay if I put up an animated avatar on my profile?
Cubs and Red Sox
Registered Musician

Postby PJF on Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:23 am

Yes, just as long as it is 100 by 100 pixels or smaller.
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Re: The reason Why I never learn to play piano

Postby MindenBlues on Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:53 am

sarabrightman994 wrote:So that is the reason why I never study piano. In a word, I love Chopin, deeply. Let me live in this eternal connection between he and me, let me listen to his music every day as I am doing now, forever and ever…..

But you don't listen to Chopin itself, you listen to someone who PLAYS Chopin music. I too love Chopin, but I think I come closer to his art through playing myself, and hopefully that does not sound arrogant. One looks more behind the curtain through practising e.g. a complex Chopin piece, like a ballade or so, several 100 or so hours.

So, listening to music is great, but playing self is even greater. This does not degrade the love for the specific music, it is just the opposite. Why do professional (and amateur) player sit on the piano every day the whole live long? Because they love it more than "only" listening to music! Just my opinion.
MindenBlues
Registered Musician

Postby PJF on Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:32 am

I agree.
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Of course playing is great

Postby sarabrightman994 on Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:40 am

I agree too.
"I come closer to his art through playing myself"Why shouldn't I agree? Of course I know that feeling. Singing a song is far more exciting than merely listening to it, and playing my favorative violin piece is an extraodinary enjoyment compared with merely listening to the CD.
The thing is: I know that playing Chopin is more enjoyable than not playing Chopin, but still, I gave up this pleasure and simply satisfied with listening to great pianists' play. This is not sacrifice, this is a choice: To me, admiration is far more valuable than other things. People choose their way of love, some by caring others, some by demanding from others, some ....I love through admiration.Without mystery I cannot worship Chopin, without worship I cannot love.
Woman's psyche is very strange(so do man's). A man may find a woman's ideas impossible to understand, it is very common.
Believe me, no civilized man ever regrets a pleasure, and no uncivilized man ever knows what a pleasure is
sarabrightman994
Registered Musician

Next

Post a reply

Return to Piano Playing