Back to Home Forum Index

What is the gravity playing??????

Discussion of stress, skills and technique associated with the performance of this instrument.
Post a reply

What is the gravity playing??????

Postby johnmar78 on Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:44 am

I tried put this in a simple expanation, its a life time learnning progress and does not acheive in one day or one week.

Keep you hands GLUED to the key, and tried shift the weight of your body--arm...to a pin point of your finger WITHOUT OFFSET YOUR TONAL BALANCE.....this means, your hands can look weird and ugly due to "weight transfer", with areasonable body build and arm weight. The amount of upper body movement IS NOT REQUIRED. JUST STOP and think, how much weight is required to sound a key eg 75 kg(my weight) or under 1 kg...........

:oops:Dnt get me wrong that your wrist is either wobbly or up and down at the playing..it should be LEVELLED TO THE KEY OR rather flat. hands should be kept still. but relaxed not STIFF...........its how you FOCUSE YOUR WEIGHT AND TRANFERED to the finger or to the key you are just about to sound.

YOU ONLY NEED TO LIFT THE HANDS/FINGER only as REQUIRED. eg
phasing.........

:DThese days, I only practise 1-2 hours a day and its EFFORTLESSLY

TRUST ME, YOU ARE HEADING THE RIGHT DIRECTION......

I hope this clears up some misconception of piano playing.
johnmar78
Registered Musician

Re: What is the gravity playing??????

Postby MindenBlues on Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:00 am

I agree on all you wrote.
Especially that the wrist should be loose and relaxed.
Chopin told a student that the wrist movement up and down should follow the melody bow. If a new melody bow starts (the comma between phrases), the wrist should be normally raised.

Furthermore in arpeggios there are circular motion possible. E.g. Chopin 25/1 both wrists move all the time, otherwise you will never get the thing smooth.
MindenBlues
Registered Musician

Postby johnmar78 on Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:05 pm

op 53 polonaise, the e,d,c,b--octave playing parts..circular motion is the best way FOR ME....have you tried it out??
johnmar78
Registered Musician

Postby PJF on Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:25 am

During the the e-d#-c#-b section, the hand moves counterclockwise. During the d#-c##-b#-a# section, the hand moves clockwise.

I try move as efficiently and smoothly as possible, as if I was running or dancing. If anything feels tense, I know I need to slow down and relax. A gentle slope should be maintained from forearm to wrist to hand to fingers. Hope this helps!
:)
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby johnmar78 on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:17 pm

your beautity. Did you miss out my review on piano mechanisuim??
johnmar78
Registered Musician

Post a reply

Return to Piano Playing