Back to Home Forum Index

How do you guys memorize your music

Discussion of stress, skills and technique associated with the performance of this instrument.
Post a reply

How do you guys memorize your music

Postby johnmar78 on Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:39 pm

Hi there,

Have you had a practice today?

On a hard pieces like schezo or polonasie....etc. I tend to play 1 to 2 pages at a time and tried to memorize it fully before moving on to next page.
This normally takes 30-1 hour on several days.

Your feed back and ideas is highly appreciated.

Thanks
johnmar78
Registered Musician

Postby elvenpianist on Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:05 pm

Sometimes I'll memorize purely by muscle memory- this tends to happen with shorter pieces, like mazurkas, very quickly- but for anything large scale, after memorizing I can generally either see at least the majority of the notes as on paper in my head or have a sort of visual key memory- as in I know all the positions of the keys I'm supposed to play, althoguh I can't read the NAMES of the notes off the top of my head.

Hah we were at a restaurant with those paper tablecloths you're allowed to draw on a few weeks ago, so I wrote out a bunch of bars of my bachtoc on it.. hahaha. The waitress sorta stared at it. :P

So yeah, just read the music with your mind engaged.. it's really a lot like memorizing a poem.
~Clara Glennette Georgiana Fiorkapatti

"Those little weirdnesses... Schumann- QUIRKY!" -David Dubal

"I am convinced that Bach is the greatest genius who ever walked among us." -Douglas Adams
elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

Postby johnmar78 on Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:23 pm

thanks, it seems the music is in your mind all the time even when you are in restrauant. What sort of music do you compose?

I tend use the muscle memory for the start, and reinforced with the "analytical" memory...try to remember SOME of the notes name and position(hardest part) this helps you when on the stage performance that overrules the nerve-stage fright.
johnmar78
Registered Musician

Postby Jeliness2 on Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:32 pm

Yeah, a lot of the time, you can analyze a piece harmonically or motifically. When you see a recurring pattern or a motive being used over and over in different forms (inverted, retrograde, augmented, etc...) then you can just remember the order these occur in.
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Postby johnmar78 on Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:47 pm

thanks pal, that something differnt to mine, but very interesting indeed. All differnt people have differnt minds and tecniques.
johnmar78
Registered Musician

Postby PJF on Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:01 am

I memorize by making myself believe that the music is the most important thing in the world. I convince myself that my life depends on it. If I can trick my brain into believing it, memorization is automatic.

I guess what I'm saying is, engage your mind.

Another thing that really helps is, (away from the piano) I visualize myself playing the piece (accurately!) If I'm able to "see" the piece's physical/aural relationship, I have no choice but to play what I visualize.
It's not easy to do, but when I can, my performance is virtually unshakable.
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby johnmar78 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:37 pm

bang you are on the ball, your technique is very similar to mine....this is what so called photographic memory....

Correct, the most important thing in your life, and you will memorize it with no problem. But still, when I look back 10 yeras ago, I have to say I memorize better now days than before even, its not my first priorty(spelt wrong)...these got to to with my overall relaxzation(mental).
What you think?

Thanks to you all.
johnmar78
Registered Musician

Re: How do you guys memorize your music

Postby Jeliness2 on Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:09 pm

How do you guys memorize bach?

I have usually have trouble just playing through fugues over and over and memorizing them. To successfully get one into my head solid enough for performance, I have to know exactly every note and its value in every voice, which is so tedious when practicing.

For example, today I was trying to memorize my prelude from P+F in f# minor (WTC II) and I have the right hand melody line memorized already... I think this is because I listen to my RH the most while practicing. The 2 voices in the LH are less melodic, so I tend to just play them without really thinking about them. So, when I tried to finally play the whole piece without the music, I get stuck at places just because of the left hand part... This is what makes me so scared to just memorize based on muscle memory, because if I'm under pressure or I change my mindset in any way, I can't continue playing without the music-- this is especially so with bach.

So what are your techniques for learning/ memorizing pieces with more than 2 voices?

One teacher told me to practice 2 out of the 3 voices together in every combination possible (ex SA, SB, AB)... I think this is a pretty neat but tedious idea in practice...
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Postby PianistSk8er on Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:27 pm

I hate to state the obvious, but nothing beats practice. In my experience (which yours may exceed :P), I have found that practice is the ONLY effective way to memorize any piece. Something with a lot of voices or something that is slower may be more challenging, but that just means you need to practice it more often and more effectively. (Don't space out while practicing.) If that isn't working, maybe practicing with some variations of rhythm or touch would help. Just make sure that they don't become permanent or you'll have an even greater problem on your hands.

Good luck!

PS
PianistSk8er
Aspiring Horo-Cziffra
Aspiring Horo-Cziffra

Postby Drummer06 on Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:21 am

Hey I Memorized the "Revolutionary Etude" which is a 10 Page piece. And I found the best way to memorize something is to Just sit down and play the piece Over and over again. And soon you don't have to even look at the keys. You can even play with your eyes Closed! (With Copious amounts of Practice of Course) :D
It was always a happy day when...YYZ appeared on our Luggage Tags. -Neil Peart
Buddy, Be Prepared to meet your Master...- Jerry Lewis
Drummer06
Registered Musician

Postby Jeliness2 on Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:03 pm

Ok so yay I memorized my bach prelude... I basically did a lot of practicing on parts which I wasn't sure of the notes... and I did it! w00t lol

now for the fugue... lol I have 3 pages kind of memorized in muscle memory, but there's a whole page where I'm not sure of the left hand scale passage.
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Postby Drummer06 on Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:27 am

Just Trust yourself.
It was always a happy day when...YYZ appeared on our Luggage Tags. -Neil Peart
Buddy, Be Prepared to meet your Master...- Jerry Lewis
Drummer06
Registered Musician

Post a reply

Return to Piano Playing