Back to Home Forum Index

Improvisation Theory

Discussion of stress, skills and technique associated with the performance of this instrument.
Post a reply

Improvisation Theory

Postby nathf on Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:34 am

Heres my little theory on how to get your improvisation at the level of the greats. Look at some hard pieces, observe the motifs used by each hand and learn them in every single key, and get accurate at it, all the while building up the pace. Learn as many of these runs and techniques as you possibly can, and practice them regularly. I think the trick is not to just sit down and try to improvise, but to prepare technique beforehand. The actual improvisation helps you learns how the harmony progressions work, only through trial and error can you gain an understanding of these. Also, its really helped me to attempt to play pieces/themes/songs from memory. That helps you understand how to get the notes and their intervalic leaps from your head, down on the keys. Then you can improvise better already knowing what works and what doesnt.
nathf
Registered Musician

Postby nathf on Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:38 am

To find motifs, just analyse some different pieces and see what each hand does, look for the patterns, and learn how they work. Atm, Im looking at chopins 2nd concerto first movement, that piece is gold for this kind of observatory work. Ive already mastered three of the techniques in it (there are heaps), and it doesnt take long either, just a few days...
nathf
Registered Musician

Postby nathf on Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:39 am

...absolute gold. lol
nathf
Registered Musician

Post a reply

Return to Piano Playing