Back to Home Forum Index

How to learn so many pieces at the same time?

Discussion of stress, skills and technique associated with the performance of this instrument.
Post a reply

How to learn so many pieces at the same time?

Postby lol_nl on Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:24 am

I currentely have 2 teachers who don't know each other and one doesn't know I'm following lessons with the other. The one is quite conservative, the other wants me to learn a lot in a short time. They gave me an enourmous program to learn for this week:

-Cznery: Etudes 15 and 16, form op. 299
-Bach: Two-part invention no. 4
-Scarlatti: Sonata in E, K. 531
-Chopin: Waltz no. 1 in E flat, op. 18
-Debussy: Arabesque no. 1
-Chopin: Nocturnes no. 1 and 2, op. 9
-Haydn: Sonata in D, Hob. XVI:37 (Only little look on 2nd part, didn't start with finale yet, only 2 days... help!)
-Mozart: Sonata in Bb, KV. 570: 1st part (Allegro)
-Chopin: Waltz no. 7, op. 64 no.2
-A contemporary piece for 8 hands piano, for a project.
-Duetto F minor for Bassoon and Piano, part 1 and 2.)

And after thursday I luckily could drop some pieces....:

-Cznery: Etude and 16, form op. 299
-Haydn: Sonata in D, Hob. XVI:37 (Only little look on 2nd part, didn't start with finale yet, only 4 days... help!)
-Chopin: Waltz no. 6, op. 64 no.2
-Duetto F minor for Bassoon and Piano, part 1 and 2)

My own teacher wants me to concentrate on Debussy, the 2 Chopin Waltzes, and the bassoon piece. My other teacher has high expectations for EACH lesson, and wants me to play Czerny, Bach, Haydn and Chopin Nocturne 1. And I can't simply drop the other pieces, I need to keep them alive for the lessons after. The contemporary piece I'm going to perform on 25 March or something, so I need to practise it (it has a very nasty rythm ).

The Arabesque and one of the Waltzes I'm going to perform on 30 or 31 March, so my first teacher wants me to study them well. The same is with the bassoon piece. I have to be able to accomplish a bassoon player. I'll have to go to him sometime to practise, and until now the 2nd part is still crap because I didn't have time to look at it carefully.

I'm a bit stressed with this full program, especially because I practised a bit on the wrong way all the time and I'm trying to change my way of practising by applying some or all of Chang's methods. It really helped! But I don't have much time left. The lesson with my second teacher is planned on Monday, and the four pieces I know QUITE well, but the Haydn Sonata is not very good yet and I didn't work much on the second part and did NOTHING with the 3rd part (help!, only 2 days...)..

And I'll have to choose a piece of max. 5 minutes for a performance at a competition at school on 16 March.

Do they expect you to learn so much at conservatory? I guess it's nearly impossible, also due to my full programmed school... loads of work for school to do the coming time, 2 presentations next week, a couple of tests, etc....

I'm stressed with this busy thing..... and one of those presentations I have to start on... I think I'm going to do it about Chinese pianists... any suggestions for useful sources?

Anyway, how to cope with this full program? I'm going to tell my teacher about the other teacher next week I think, so he knows I have an extremely full program. But next thursday is far enough and I'll have to survive several days.... HOW?
lol_nl
Registered Musician

Postby monkeyy on Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:53 pm

:shock:what have you done? :D
Why do you have 2 teachers? (and why didn't you tell them... :?)You're going to leave one I hope? (because that's not clear to me yet? and I think that a program like yours is a mission impossible for everyone)
You can't do more then your best huh.. put most effort in the teacher you're not going to leave.. and are you able to play ALL this pieces in the lessons or do you usually concentrate on two or something?.. (Because then you don't have to know everything well). or say that you were ill or something. you can't do everything.
Good luck ;)
monkeyy

Postby Fryderyk Biggemski on Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:07 pm

lmpossible...do a few pieces, but well
Fryderyk Biggemski
Registered Musician

Re: How to learn so many pieces at the same time?

Postby PJF on Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:40 am

lol_nl wrote:I currentely have 2 teachers who don't know each other and one doesn't know I'm following lessons with the other. The one is quite conservative, the other wants me to learn a lot in a short time. They gave me an enourmous program to learn for this week:

-Cznery: Etudes 15 and 16, form op. 299
-Scarlatti: Sonata in E, K. 531
-Chopin: Waltz no. 1 in E flat, op. 18
-Haydn: Sonata in D, Hob. XVI:37 (Only little look on 2nd part, didn't start with finale yet, only 2 days... help!)
-Duetto F minor for Bassoon and Piano, part 1 and 2.)

And after thursday I luckily could drop some pieces....:

-Cznery: Etude and 16, form op. 299
-Haydn: Sonata in D, Hob. XVI:37 (Only little look on 2nd part, didn't start with finale yet, only 4 days... help!)
-Chopin: Waltz no. 6, op. 64 no.2
-Duetto F minor for Bassoon and Piano, part 1 and 2)

My own teacher wants me to concentrate on Debussy, the 2 Chopin Waltzes, and the bassoon piece. My other teacher has high expectations for EACH lesson, and wants me to play Czerny, Bach, Haydn and Chopin Nocturne 1. And I can't simply drop the other pieces, I need to keep them alive for the lessons after. The contemporary piece I'm going to perform on 25 March or something, so I need to practise it (it has a very nasty rythm ).

The Arabesque and one of the Waltzes I'm going to perform on 30 or 31 March, so my first teacher wants me to study them well. The same is with the bassoon piece. I have to be able to accomplish a bassoon player. I'll have to go to him sometime to practise, and until now the 2nd part is still crap because I didn't have time to look at it carefully.

I'm a bit stressed with this full program, especially because I practised a bit on the wrong way all the time and I'm trying to change my way of practising by applying some or all of Chang's methods. It really helped! But I don't have much time left. The lesson with my second teacher is planned on Monday, and the four pieces I know QUITE well, but the Haydn Sonata is not very good yet and I didn't work much on the second part and did NOTHING with the 3rd part (help!, only 2 days...)..

And I'll have to choose a piece of max. 5 minutes for a performance at a competition at school on 16 March.

Do they expect you to learn so much at conservatory? I guess it's nearly impossible, also due to my full programmed school... loads of work for school to do the coming time, 2 presentations next week, a couple of tests, etc....

I'm stressed with this busy thing..... and one of those presentations I have to start on... I think I'm going to do it about Chinese pianists... any suggestions for useful sources?

Anyway, how to cope with this full program? I'm going to tell my teacher about the other teacher next week I think, so he knows I have an extremely full program. But next thursday is far enough and I'll have to survive several days.... HOW?

I couldn't learn half that in a week! (Have you seen my schedule for this year?) Jeez, kid! Come down from the clouds. :o
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby PJF on Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:44 am

BTW, that would be an ambitious repertoire for an entire year! A week? You must be joking. I doubt Lang Lang himself could memorize that in a week! Get thou a grip! Please. :D

Pete
PJF
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby elvenpianist on Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:38 pm

PJF wrote:Get thou a grip! Please. :D

If thee must use the anciente speeche, it would be well if thou wouldst not mix moderne sayings withe it. Fore alas, it proves to be a most paineful discorde to the eares of the Eldamar.
~Clara Glennette Georgiana Fiorkapatti

"Those little weirdnesses... Schumann- QUIRKY!" -David Dubal

"I am convinced that Bach is the greatest genius who ever walked among us." -Douglas Adams
elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

Postby tony on Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:21 pm

someone's very whitty... :lol:

tony
Registered Musician

Postby PJF on Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:54 am

I'm aware... :lol:

Pete
PJF
Moderato(r)