Login or Register to hide advertisements

Janusz Olejniczak

Legendary pianists, by whom the art of music has been developed
Post a reply

Janusz Olejniczak

Postby pianoplayer » 20 Apr 2005, 04:57

What do you guys say about him? He's coming here for a solo piano recital. An all-Chopin recital, I think. The ticket prices are quite cheap too... I'm definitely go for this concert.
pianoplayer
Registered Musician

Postby Rubi » 12 May 2005, 09:02

Well... I like his interpretation of "Grande Polonaise Brillante" better than Yundi Li's :). He is the one who played solo parts for the movie - "The pianist". You should also listen to his Ballade No.1...Excellent choice. One of my favourite pianists.
Have fun
Rubi
Registered Musician

Postby pianoplayer » 18 May 2005, 09:50

OK, fairly long post ahead, but not like Goldberg's of course... :roll:

The concert given by Janusz Olejniczak was yesterday. It was held at the SCO Concert Hall. First time I've been there. It's quite small and cosy.

I took a train down to my mum's office as she was going to the concert with me. We went to the International Plaza which was near the concert hall. It was around 7.20pm when we decided to go to the Delifrance outlet. But the woman in front took so damn long just to order her food and the cashier was also so slow that when it was our turn to order, the stupid cashier said that the place would be closed in 5 minutes and we had to takeaway. Go to hell. So my mum and I showed our unhappy faces and walked off to the nearby Burger King. We had our dinner there and reached the concert hall at about 7.45pm. Went to the washroom first.

The concert started at around 8pm. Someone who looked Polish came in and introduced Olejniczak. He then acted as translator to the audience.

Olejniczak said that two weeks ago, he had a minor accident. He had a back injury and it affected his hands. Olejniczak also added that his firstborn son died on the very same day three years ago. I don't know how this affected him, but he looked happy after the performance. The programme would be changed because of his injury.

The original programme was very well selected. The plan was to start off with the Nocturne in C minor op.48 no.1, then proceed to playing the Scherzo in B flat minor. After that would be two Mazurkas from op.51. The G minor Ballade and Heroic Polonaise would then follow. After the intermission, Olejniczak was supposed to play the B flat Sonata and end the concert with the F sharp minor Polonaise. What a waste.

Olejniczak started the concert with the Nocturne in C sharp minor. His interpretation of the Nocturne was excellent as always. He then launched into playing two Mazurkas. The first was op.17 no.4. I'm not too sure of the second but I think I've heard it before. Then came the B flat minor Scherzo. It was not really well played. He missed some notes. It seemed that he played just for the sake of playing. He looked like he wasn't in a good mood. But then, after all he has said, I didn't mind. After Olejniczak finished the Scherzo, he paused for a while to think of what to play. He then chose two waltzes, the op.69 no.1 and 64. no.2. They were not bad. Olejniczak rounded up the first half with the op.40 no.1 Polonaise.

After the intermission, He sat at the piano and said somethin to the audience in Polish which of course, I don't understand. He then started with a piece wich I don't recognise. It sounded very Mozartian with a lot of trills. I quite liked it actually, although I'm not sure what it is. Olejniczak then played the Nocturne op.48 no.1 and the G minor Ballade before ending with the Heroic Polonaise, which made the audience go wild. He played the pieces perfectly, with no mistakes at alll. I especially loved his interpretation of the Ballade and the Polonaise. Anyway, he performed much better than the first half of the concert.

After the end of the concert, I waited at the autograph queue for about 20 minutes. The ushers said that he was having a cocktail party and would come out in 5 minutes. Yeah, right. I was in the front. When he came out, he had a picture taken with a poster with his face on it. He drew on the poster, adding some moustache or whatever, which made the people laugh. I soon got his autograph. I also let him autograph my Chopin score books. I brought my Ballades, Nocturnes and Polonaises. When I passed the books to him, he looked at and said in English," You pianist?" I nodded, smiling. He stared at me, then smiled and autographed the books. After signing on them, he opened the Polonaise book and turned to the op.40 no.1. He played in the air for a while, then turned to me and said," No good", and smiled, which made the people behind laugh. He's a very nice person and joked a lot with the others.

The concert was the most enjoyable one I've been too. I won't forget the experience with Janusz Olejniczak. Don't miss the chance to watch him perform if he ever goes to your town.
pianoplayer
Registered Musician

Postby Rubi » 18 Jun 2005, 08:57

Maybe the "mozartian" one was Chopin's Variation in B Major on "La ci darem la mano" from Mozart's Don Juan op. 2?
Rubi
Registered Musician

Postby pianoplayer » 21 Jun 2005, 11:50

I just found out it was some Couperin work. :lol:
pianoplayer
Registered Musician

Re: Janusz Olejniczak

Postby Floyd » 12 Jan 2008, 14:58

I think, that Olejniczak is, in this moment, fairest polish interpreter of Chopin.
Floyd
Registered Musician

Post a reply

Return to Pianists