Back to Home Forum Index

Chopin interpretors, among other things... =)

Discussion of legendary pianists, by whom the art of music has been so fantastically developed.
Post a reply

Postby Thracozaag on Tue May 09, 2006 8:47 pm

Goldberg wrote:Yeah, I mentioned the Barcarolle briefly as well later on. I just recently got that live recording (or, rather, one of them...I'm assuming there's more than one) and sublime is definitely the word for it.

The video I saw/heard is incredible.

koji

Thracozaag
Registered Musician

Postby elvenpianist on Tue May 09, 2006 9:17 pm

Thanks to the pirate I'm listening to Cziffra's chopets now...

WOOOOOO

THESE ARE INCREDIBLE

Goooodd lord WHY HAVEN'T I HEARD ABOUT THESE BEFORE?!

Legendary.
elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

Postby Goldberg on Tue May 09, 2006 9:23 pm

Thracozaag wrote:
Goldberg wrote:Yeah, I mentioned the Barcarolle briefly as well later on. I just recently got that live recording (or, rather, one of them...I'm assuming there's more than one) and sublime is definitely the word for it.

The video I saw/heard is incredible.

koji

Oh damn! I'm insanely jealous, as always, about your Cziffra library/experiences (I guess you don't actually have the video).

But yes, da Elf has finally been opened up to Cziffra's chopets now. I haven't heard too many of these (I don't like them enough to listen to hundreds of recordings), but Cziffra is, as I said, my absolute favorite for them.
Goldberg
Incorrigible Failure

Postby Thracozaag on Tue May 09, 2006 10:04 pm

What recording of the Czfifra Chopin Etudes do you have? If they're off the Great Pianists Series, I should send you the original master tape version.

koji

Thracozaag
Registered Musician

Postby Goldberg on Wed May 10, 2006 12:20 am

I'm quite sure mine are the regularly available ones from the Great Pianists disk, and I would love to hear that other recording! I always am thrilled to have another Cziffra rec. Thanks for the offer, Koji. How would you like to send it to me? You can email it to if that's ok. I'd REALLY appreciate it!
Goldberg
Incorrigible Failure

Postby Thracozaag on Wed May 10, 2006 12:40 am

Goldberg wrote:I'm quite sure mine are the regularly available ones from the Great Pianists disk, and I would love to hear that other recording! I always am thrilled to have another Cziffra rec. Thanks for the offer, Koji. How would you like to send it to me? You can email it to if that's ok. I'd REALLY appreciate it!

It's not that it's a different performance, but the master tapes really capture the sound of Cziffra much better. Among the idiotic things that Deacon did with the Great PIanists series is use the same dynamic/sound range for someone like Cziffra as he would with someone like...Ingrid Haebler :roll:

koji

Thracozaag
Registered Musician

Postby elvenpianist on Wed May 10, 2006 1:31 am

Thracozaag wrote: Ingrid Haebler :roll:

Still don't understand why she's on the great pianists of the century thing.. most boring would be more suitable.

:roll:
elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

Postby Goldberg on Wed May 10, 2006 1:31 am

Yeah, I sounded a little idiotic by seeming to imply that it was a different rec--but I figured it out! I was actually wondering about that earlier, regarding the dynamics--I could tell it was extremely badass playing, but there was definitely something screwed up with the sound.

Anyway, thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!
Goldberg
Incorrigible Failure

Postby PianistSk8er on Wed May 10, 2006 10:14 pm

elvenpianist wrote:Actually haven't heard Argerich's preludes, are they any good? I can't really imagine her playing them, lol.

Yes, they are quite good! 8)

PS
PianistSk8er
Aspiring Horo-Cziffra
Aspiring Horo-Cziffra

Postby Goldberg on Wed May 10, 2006 11:27 pm

Generally, it seems to be the case that people who don't seem to like Argerich very much like her Chopin preludes, and people who adore Argerich for almost everything she does don't like her Chopin preludes...that's just what I've noticed, again, in general. I'm one who doesn't particularly care much for a whole lot of her work, but I do love her preludes.
Goldberg
Incorrigible Failure

Postby Thracozaag on Wed May 10, 2006 11:31 pm

I'm not crazy about her Chopin preludes (although I do like her 2nd sonata and scherzo).

koji

Thracozaag
Registered Musician

Re: Chopin interpretors, among other things... =)

Postby Chocturne on Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:01 am

Maximiliano wrote:Hello, I'm curious to hear objective critiques of Idil Biret's recordings as opposed to Rubinsteins', Cortot's, etc. I know this might be asking a bit much, but because I enjoy her interpretations and found that she is not very popular on here, I want to know the reasoning behind her somewhat negative reputation. Any response would be greatly appreciated!!!
Best Regards,
Maximiliano

I too love Biret's interpretation of Chopin, although I'm only familiar with her Nocturnes. I've heard recordings by other artists but they all seemed to lack the rhythm and passion that Biret displays. I have never heard her mazurkas or polonaises so I cannot make comment there. There was an effort to dim the success of Biret's complete works of Chopin. Magazines that had a inlfuential role said in their reviews that the acoustics were terrible. This however is definately not the case the acoustics were fine. I'm interested to hear peoples opinions on her Nocturnes, as they have already dismissed her polonaises and mazurkas.
So close and yet so far.........
Nocturnes rule ALL!
Chocturne
Registered Musician

Postby PJF on Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:14 am

The acoustics for the Chopin etudes was really bad. Ditto for the polonaises. Her nocturnes are stunningly beautiful.
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby Chocturne on Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:22 pm

Well FINALLY!! That is the first complement I've seen! Thankgod SOMEONE appreciates her Nocturnes!!!!!!!! :D
So close and yet so far.........
Nocturnes rule ALL!
Chocturne
Registered Musician

Postby PJF on Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:09 am

I always wanted to like Idil Biret's recordings. I like her philosophy, but not always her attempts at virtuosity. I especially like the slow sections of her Chopin Ballades. In the fast parts, she loses me. She really is a great poet, just not a great technician.
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Previous

Post a reply

Return to Pianists