Back to Home Forum Index

Yundi Li Concert Tonight in Boston, MA

Discussion of legendary pianists, by whom the art of music has been so fantastically developed.
Post a reply

Yundi Li Concert Tonight in Boston, MA

Postby Jeliness2 on Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:02 pm

Tonight, I'm going to see his performance of Mozart, Chopin, Liszt, and Schumann. Has any one heard his new cd (if it's out yet?) or gone to any of his past concerts? I've been to the last one in Boston at Jordan Hall (Feb. 2004), and it was extraordinary, really. His program is:

1) Piano Sonata K. 330 in C Major, by Mozart (hehe the one I played for my solo recital)
2) Carnaval Op. 9, by Schumann (I've never heard this performed live before)
3) Andante spianato and Grande polonaise brillante, Op. 22, by Chopin (Hmm, the Chopin Competition recording he had 6 years ago was excellent.)
4) Ok--- this is confusing. He was originally going to play Rhapsodie Espagnol by Liszt, which would have been cool and expected since that's what he recorded on his most recent CD.

But the concert website says he'll play Liszt's Sonata in B minor (again... haha) Well, it's still one of my favorite sonatas; maybe he'll change it up a little from last time.

I hope to get a pic w/ him this time to compete with Amnesia's pic w/ LANG LANG. hahah
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Re: Yundi Li Concert Tonight in Boston, MA

Postby citrine_peridot on Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:34 pm

Jeliness2 wrote:
I hope to get a pic w/ him this time to compete with Amnesia's pic w/ LANG LANG. hahah

I have faith in you...After all, nobody can resist our lovely piano-prodigy...

citrine_peridot
The "Pedal-Eater"

Postby jre58591 on Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:54 pm

yeah, hes not gonna play the andante spianato, grande polonaise brillante, or the rhapsodie espagnole. he will play the liszt sonata instead. i know this because a friend of mine saw him two nights ago. im pretty sure the rest of the program stands.
jre58591
Registered Musician

Postby elvenpianist on Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:27 pm

think the program is the mozart, carnaval, and liszt sonata.

friend of mine saw him play that program a week or so ago, lol.
elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

Postby lol_nl on Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:08 pm

How do you guys get a photo or anything with pianists?
I never knew you could visit pianists and talk with them after a concert.. huh? :shock::?:twisted::evil::roll:
lol_nl
Registered Musician

Postby citrine_peridot on Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:43 pm

Go ask Amnesia...

citrine_peridot
The "Pedal-Eater"

Postby Jeliness2 on Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:28 pm

Agghh! well, maybe I'm not that mad...

I did meet yundi, but it was just like a casual "Hi" as I was being shoved out of line by a crowd of anxious Yundi Fans. haha it's like a rock concert--- and everyone was wearing black suits and sweaters.

I'll get back to that momentarily---

Ok- no one get mad at me, because these were just some of my thoughts as I was listening to/ watching the concert.
Well, the program was as followed

1) Piano Sonata K. 330 in C Major, by Mozart- Which was excellent. The phrasing was excellent and the interpretation was thoughtful.
2) Carnaval Op. 9, by Schumann- Some parts were superb- such as Coquette, Eusebius, and Florestan. There were several musical suprises in them.
Others made me think... huh? What is going on. Like several movements I guess are marked presto, but Yundi lost his clarity and you couldn't really understand that there was any structure to the section. (Papillons and Pantalon et Colombine)
I think the piece already is polished in style, but I would prefer it to be clearer rather than showy to watch. haha that can be saved for the Liszt.
Intermission
3) Sonata in B minor, by Liszt- I thought this was even better than his recording. He let lose a lot more and you could see that he used of a broader range of interpretations rather than the obvious performance standards of this piece. For example, at the end of some of the octave runs, he held the last notes with his pedal, which reverberated a powerful sonority in the low register of the piano throughout the concert hall. That was a suprise, because that can obviously not happen in a cd... lol I'd say his performance of this piece last night was a breath of fresh air from his cd.
4) Andante spianato and Grande polonaise brillante, Op. 22, by Chopin- I thought this had not changed much since his performance 6 years ago from the Chopin Competition. Still, it was great, though I hoped he would have developed it more.

His only encore was Sunflower. Hm.

Yundi definitely has stage presence. I guess it would fit the accounts I have read of Rubinstein's concerts- He didn't even have to play and people were standing on their feet in ovation. hahah

Anyways, afterward I was excited and hopeful to meet him. I entered a crowd of people and waited for about 20 minutes to get to the point where yundi was for autograph signing. Well, I basically didn't know it that I was like right next to him, because there were people blocking my way. haha well, I turned around, and there he was! My dad got a camera and the ushers were like "No pictures please. The hall is too crowded." Well, my dad's like oh well, and he took some close shots of him that were blurry. haha, and I got another picture with me right behind yundi with him facing backward signing someone else's paper. I was kind of in a stalker pose. Haha, oh well. I also got my program signed. W00t
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Post a reply

Return to Pianists