Back to Home Forum Index

A Richter feat u might not know

Discussion of legendary pianists, by whom the art of music has been so fantastically developed.
Post a reply

A Richter feat u might not know

Postby Dynaphyrun on Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:09 pm

richter learned the prokofiev 6th sonata in 2 days, 12 hrs/day and debuted it w/ him in attendence

source gramophone magazine 1997
Dynaphyrun
Registered Musician

Postby juufa72 on Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:09 pm

it took me 4 months to "learn" Chopin's Sonata op.35 funeral march, and I still cannot get it right..........

just goes to show how good some people are and how bad i am.
juufa72
Registered Musician

Postby Brewtality on Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:39 am

Hofmann learnt Godowsky's Die Fledermaus paraphrase just by listening to Godowsky play it. 8)

Brewtality
Registered Musician

Re: A Richter feat u might not know

Postby Goldberg on Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:20 am

Dynaphyrun wrote:richter learned the prokofiev 6th sonata in 2 days, 12 hrs/day and debuted it w/ him in attendence

source gramophone magazine 1997

Didn't he also learn the Brahms 2nd in 2 days, and then performed it a week later? And also the entire WTK in a month or something?

Here's one from "Cannons and Flowers": Cziffra once improvised a piece that combined the American and Russian national anthems, each in its own key and time signature, simultaneously, one in either hand, with accompaniment. He also learned and debuted (I think?) the Bartok 2nd concerto within something like 3 weeks or...6 weeks or...I dunno. Whatever it was, it was crazy, especially considering that two or three other pianists had taken the challenge before him and dropped out.

Ok, maybe not as insane as the Brahms 2nd in two days, but still...gotta put in a word for da Ziff.
Goldberg
Incorrigible Failure

Postby Brewtality on Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:55 am

I believe the ziff story, but maybe I wouldn't if I hadn't seen and heard his improvs; some of the most incredible piano playing ever. IIRC, he had 6 weeks to learn the Bartok.

The Brahms 2 claim sounds apocryphal to me, it's like Lugansky saying that he learnt the Rach 3 in 3 days at age 15. Reminds me of Rubinstein (arthur) learning the Rubinstein (anton) 4th in one day. I bet he left out 30% of the notes and I would wager that the same would be true of Richter and Lugy. Or maybe I'm just overly sceptical.

Brewtality
Registered Musician

Postby Dynaphyrun on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:03 am

richter did not leave out notes
Dynaphyrun
Registered Musician

Postby Brewtality on Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:48 am

Dynaphyrun wrote:richter did not leave out notes

oh so you were at the recital?

Brewtality
Registered Musician

Postby Dynaphyrun on Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:14 am

no, unfortunately not--but i dont need to be

look into Richter and find out for yourself; i cud tell u anything really, so y not discover it yourself
Dynaphyrun
Registered Musician

Post a reply

Return to Pianists