Login or Register to hide advertisements

Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata

Music composed between 1730 and 1820: Beethoven, Mozart, etc.
Post a reply

Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata

Postby Amnesia » 26 Aug 2004, 17:34

What do you think of this piece? I think it's one of his most beautiful sonatas, among many others of course. Which is your favorite movement? I think the third is really beautiful, but then again, so is the first :)

For those of you who have played it... how hard is this sonata to to learn?
Last edited by Amnesia on 26 Aug 2004, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
Amnesia
Registered Musician

Postby TheRach » 26 Aug 2004, 17:38

I also like this sonata. Favorite movement... That's a hard question. The first is very nice, it starts out nice and slow, and becomes very exciting. The second is really beautiful. The third is a bit playful, and also very nice.
TheRach
i hate rovolCz

Postby virtuoso_735 » 26 Aug 2004, 21:18

I like this sonata a lot as well. It is among the first pieces to demonstrate Beethoven's emotional reign fully. It's very quite interesting; this is the only Beethoven sonata to begin with an introduction, and how Beethoven later uses the themes of the introduction to build suspense is absolutely brilliant. I've played the first and second movements, albeit horribly, and I must say that first movement was quite difficult. The main technical difficulties being perpetuating left and right hand tremelos, accuracy needed in skips for both hands, and good dynamic and rhythymic control.
virtuoso_735
Registered Musician

Postby Brewtality » 26 Aug 2004, 22:28

its nice but im sick of it at the moment. I learned the first movement and its not that difficult but depends on what level you're at. I'd say its intermediate/advanced.
Brewtality
Registered Musician

Postby sexysk8er » 26 Aug 2004, 22:41

oh yes...this is an exquisite piece..i very much liked it
sexysk8er
Permanently Banned

Postby Comme_le_Vent » 26 Aug 2004, 22:47

sexysk8er wrote:oh yes...this is an exquisite piece..i very much liked it

i can see why you can empathise with the pathetic emotion in this piece

8)
Comme_le_Vent
Permanently Banned

Postby Philip Daniel » 26 Aug 2004, 22:56

I admire this sonata among the many great piano sonatas of Beethoven. Written at the peak of High Classicism in music, when beloved greats such as Haydn, Albrechtsberger, Dittersdorf, Hoffmann, Vanhal, & Clementi were composing their most formalistically refined and endurable works, Beethoven composed this most expressionate & passionate of all sonatas. The first movement, with its dotted-rythm introduction, recalling the similar ouverture to Bach's 2nd Partita for keyboard, that leads into the contrapuntally & rythmically driven sonata-allegro that dominates for the rest of the movement, is at once pensive and electrifying, and is the first work where Beethoven can be called a true genius. The melodious, cantilena-like middle movement that is rightly so famed as a gem in his work and the fiery last movement attest to the sense of diversity and variety that came so natural to him. In this sonata we become aware of his talents for motivic development, schematic tonal & modal relationships and large-scale form that manifest themselves later in even greater compositions.
Philip Daniel
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby beethoven » 27 Aug 2004, 00:32

Basically what Philip said. :wink:I like the all of it, since it's Beethoven. One of his best sonatas, they ay it has the sad beginning, because it was written in the time Beethoven started to lose his hearing.
beethoven
Registered Musician

Postby Colin » 27 Aug 2004, 11:34

One of my favorite pieces of music. I love all three movements, which is something I rarely find with ANY sonata; I suppose if I had to choose, I'd say the third movement is my favorite. I fell in love with the explosive ending the first time I heard it, listening to a Rudolf Serkin vinyl when I was seven or eight.

The first movement is brilliant and the second is gorgeous.
Colin
Registered Musician

Postby virtuoso_735 » 27 Aug 2004, 13:35

The second movement is somewhat similar to the loftiest of adagios, the adagio from the ninth symphony of Beethoven. This is also only one of the two sonatas Beethoven actually named, and put the title on the manuscript, rather than having the publisher arbitrarily place a title on.

Would you guys say the Rondo is more difficult or the first movement?
virtuoso_735
Registered Musician

Postby WinterWind_23 » 27 Aug 2004, 14:49

I like this sonata also!

It is so Beethoven in character and really powerful and large. I love all the movements, the powerful first movement, the ever so popular and lovely 2nd movement, and the lithe and furious third movement. I haven't play it yet, but hope to some time.
WinterWind_23
Registered Musician

Postby Colin » 27 Aug 2004, 15:33

I think the first movement is considerably more difficult, but the third isn't easy.
Colin
Registered Musician

Postby Amnesia » 27 Aug 2004, 17:16

The third is undoubtedly one of my favorite movements :)
Amnesia
Registered Musician

Postby virtuoso_735 » 27 Aug 2004, 20:40

Amnesia wrote:The third is undoubtedly one of my favorite movements :)

I like it a lot too.

But one day I heard on TV a techno version of it where they butchered it...ugh...
virtuoso_735
Registered Musician

Postby Flaming Buttocks of Doom » 27 Aug 2004, 20:54

Philip Daniel wrote:I admire this sonata among the many great piano sonatas of Beethoven. Written at the peak of High Classicism in music, when beloved greats such as Haydn, Albrechtsberger, Dittersdorf, Hoffmann, Vanhal, & Clementi were composing their most formalistically refined and endurable works, Beethoven composed this most expressionate & passionate of all sonatas. The first movement, with its dotted-rythm introduction, recalling the similar ouverture to Bach's 2nd Partita for keyboard, that leads into the contrapuntally & rythmically driven sonata-allegro that dominates for the rest of the movement, is at once pensive and electrifying, and is the first work where Beethoven can be called a true genius. The melodious, cantilena-like middle movement that is rightly so famed as a gem in his work and the fiery last movement attest to the sense of diversity and variety that came so natural to him. In this sonata we become aware of his talents for motivic development, schematic tonal & modal relationships and large-scale form that manifest themselves later in even greater compositions.

:roll:

:lol:

Hahahaa... this guy is hilarious.

Anyway, the Sonata is lovely. A gorgeous second movement, and the first movement is great. The third is also a very good work, but I'm not sure if it is as noteworthy as the first and second.
Flaming Buttocks of Doom
Registered Musician

Next

Post a reply

Return to Classical Period