Login or Register to hide advertisements

argh! quick! which sonata movement?!

Music composed between 1730 and 1820: Beethoven, Mozart, etc.
Post a reply

which sonata movement should I play for auditions?

Beethoven, op. 26, mov. 1
No votes
Mozart, k. 330, mov. 3
No votes
Beethoven, op. 10 no. 1, mov. 1
67%
Mozart, k. 330, mov. 1
33%

Total votes : 3

argh! quick! which sonata movement?!

Postby elvenpianist » 15 Sep 2006, 23:01

I'm starting to freak out a bit.

I need to decide by Monday, lol.

Ok so-

Moz. k. 330 mov. 1-

I love this piece, but I'm unsure of the wiseness of playing something which requires such precise detail and clarity in the playing of the passagework for an audition. I mean, if I'm nervous, and I get shaky, those runs are gonna go fbddfghjbflhgvbdfhglbnlsawjdfghdkv really quickly, and instead of sounding like an unearthily elegant and beautiful Mozart playing Seraphim, I'll sound like Nimrod trying to sightread the Mephisto Waltz. On the other hand, I do have a good feel for this piece, and if I'm NOT nervous I think I'd bust it out gorgeously.

mov. 3-

A bit safer option from my perspective, quite fun as well. :)

Beethoven op. 26, mov. 1-

Erm, I don't know if my teacher will approve in the least of this idea- it's rather difficult in spots technically (there's no other word for it- I struggle in the second variation, and the others are no cakewalk, either). But. IT'S SOOOOO BEAUTIFUL!!!

op. 10 no. 1, mov. 1-

I actually pretty well know this, I studied it last summer with my genius master teacher, and if I was smart, or even sane, I'd do this without even thinking about it. However, I have spent the majority of the past year studying fugues and Schumann, so my sanity is perhaps justly in question. :P
My objections to playing it are that 1) I suck at the opening hip-hoppy-yet-insanely-angry-sounding-arpeggio-thingies and 2) it's in a minor key, and I don't particularly like the idea of playing a big angry c minor beethoven sonata movement right after the big e minor toccata fugue. And yet on the other hand, prehaps it is fated that I play this, because I just randomly downloaded one of the programs from Dubal's reflections from the keyboard, AND I KID YOU NOT, the op. 10 no. 1 MOVEMENT ONE was the first thing that came on, and he was praising it to the skies. Uuuuuummmmmm.

So from smartest > dumbest, I'd say:

op. 10 no. 1 mov. 1 > k. 330 mov. 3 > op. 26 mov. 1 > k. 330 mov. 1

...help! I can't decide!

-elf
~Clara Glennette Georgiana Fiorkapatti

"Those little weirdnesses... Schumann- QUIRKY!" -David Dubal

"I am convinced that Bach is the greatest genius who ever walked among us." -Douglas Adams
elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

Postby lol_nl » 17 Sep 2006, 11:35

op. 10 no. 1 mov. 1 > k. 330 mov. 3 > op. 26 mov. 1 > k. 330 mov. 1
would be a wise choice.

Compare:
-How good can you play it?
-How much do you like it?
-How does it fit in your program?
-Is it not too difficult to play at auditions (nerves)?

I would choose K. 330 first movement whahaha :lol:.
No seriously I would NOT choose that. I would choose either 10/1 or 330 3rd mov, or 26 1st if you think you can have it done by then...
lol_nl
Registered Musician

Postby Jeliness2 » 17 Sep 2006, 11:55

haha sorry! I chose K. 330 in the poll just because that's my favorite of the choices... lol
Jeliness2
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby elvenpianist » 17 Sep 2006, 19:47

Jeliness2 wrote:haha sorry! I chose K. 330 in the poll just because that's my favorite of the choices... lol

haha, I was wondering who that sadist was. :lol:

Ain't it great though; mmm, so uber loverly...

Eh, I think I'm going to go with the 10/1...
~Clara Glennette Georgiana Fiorkapatti

"Those little weirdnesses... Schumann- QUIRKY!" -David Dubal

"I am convinced that Bach is the greatest genius who ever walked among us." -Douglas Adams
elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

Postby Jeliness2 » 17 Sep 2006, 21:04

hehe, good luck. 'Tis a good piece too!! that was like my first beethoven sonata... actually, my only beethoven sonata pretty much... haha
Jeliness2
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Post a reply

Return to Classical Period