Login or Register to hide advertisements

Both Mozart's and Beethoven's Favorite Composer

Music composed between 1730 and 1820: Beethoven, Mozart, etc.
Post a reply

Postby Philip Daniel » 23 Oct 2004, 18:05

WinterWind_23 wrote:That's why he revolutionized music so much with what was whimsical back in the day.

I heard that beethoven didn't like how Haydn taught, but venerated his music.

Yeah, that's what I said :lol:!
OT: BTW, like my new avatar? It's Jean-Philippe Rameau :D
Philip Daniel
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby Max » 24 Oct 2004, 03:51

Sohcahtoa wrote:Bach's contrapuntal compositions were considered to be old-fashioned in the 18th century, when pre-classical style interested the most. That's it in a nutshell.

They were considered old fashioned at the time he composed them!
Max
Registered Musician

Postby Medtner » 24 Oct 2004, 07:22

Sohcahtoa wrote:Bach's contrapuntal compositions were considered to be old-fashioned in the 18th century, when pre-classical style interested the most. That's it in a nutshell.

It wasn't concidered old-fashioned, but people thought it was to complex, that it wasn't natural (music used to be for people in higher classes only back then, but during that time it was changing, people wanted something "normal", because they were "normal" too). That point of view gave birth to the three styles of the pre-classical period: Empfindsamkeit/Sturm und Drang (C.P.E. Bach), Rococo (François Couperin "Le Grand") and Style Galant (J.C. Bach). Especially this last style, because of it's "simplicity", appealled to the "normal" people a lot. This style influenced composers like Mozart (who combined Style Galant with bits of Late Baroque).
Medtner
Registered Musician

Postby spyroninja » 04 Dec 2004, 23:47

Jeliness2 wrote:I heard that although haydn was beethoven's teacher, they didn't like each other.

I don't think that's true at all. Beethoven revered Haydn, and the influence is very apparent early on in Beethoven's career. His earlier works very much resemble Haydn, and Mozart to some degree, too.
spyroninja
Registered Musician

Postby Jeliness2 » 06 Dec 2004, 18:29

Well, I had read that Beethoven had thought that Haydn's composition style was too "old-fashioned".
Jeliness2
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Re: Both Mozart's and Beethoven's Favorite Composer

Postby pianola » 17 Oct 2007, 20:30

i remembered that Mozart once said: "Handel understands effects better than any of us, when he strikes, he strikes like a thunderbolt."
i also remembered that Beethoven said: "Handel is someone i can STILL learn from"
pianola
Registered Musician

Re: Both Mozart's and Beethoven's Favorite Composer

Postby jcarson » 29 Jul 2010, 01:23

I knew Beethoven liked Handel, but Mozart surely thought Bach as the best didn't he?
"Now there's music from which a man can learn."
-W.A.Mozart
jcarson
Registered Musician

Previous

Post a reply

Return to Classical Period