Login or Register to hide advertisements

Favorite Liszt works?

Music composed between 1815 and 1910, excluding Chopin: Liszt, Mendelssohn, etc.
Post a reply

Postby Max » 28 Jan 2005, 15:28

PianistSk8er wrote:
Max wrote:All praise Cziffra

Hail to da king, baby 8)

8)

I have all of the live Cziffra for the works I listed earlier. Never would I consider another interpretation!

PS

I must say, you have impeccable taste 8)

I would love to see any other videos of his, the GGC on Art of Piano is amazing but there must be so many different versions...
Max
Registered Musician

Postby Goldberg » 28 Jan 2005, 23:03

Koji often mentions a video of the GGC from Japan, in which Cziffra apparently turns to the audience in the last 30 seconds or so and "stares them down" with this sort of devillish countenance, which in my mind I compare to Koji's own look during that freaky video clip of the beginning of the "thirds" etude...however, I've never seen the Cziffra video...maybe I'll have access to it once I join the Cziffra Society, which I plan on doing as soon as I have 40 bucks.

As for having more videos, look no further than the smashing EMI Classics video entitled "Cziffra". You'll find stunning performances from his early career in the Theatre des Champs-Elysses (spelling off; it's a famous auditorium, I understand, in Paris) of the Heroic Polonaise, the 10th TE, and the unspeakably awesome and humbling 6th Hungarian Rhapsody...all are worth the price of admission by themselves, but are accompanied by studio recordings (with a much better video quality) of: Chopin's second scherzo and Gb Major Impromptu (simply gorgeous; he introduced me to the piece and I'm stuck on it now) and Liszt's Gnomenreigen, Valse Impromptu no. 1 (or is the Oubilee? I always get the two mixed up) and of course the classic GGC video, which I think is the exact same as the one on the Art of Piano movie, even though I've never seen that one.

Finally, a performance of Franck's Symphonic Variations...with his son conducting...by Zeus, THAT is real music-making! A very touching, and at a time thrilling endeavor into what might be considered a spiritual reflection of Cziffra's past life and triumphs.

(sound cheesy enough for you? Maybe I should pursue a career in writing those little summaries on the back of movie boxes or something...)

Oh, yeah, and a good little bonus clip of Morsiewitch (spelling WAAY off but I'm too lazy to check...he's a super famous and super good pianist but I can't spell such "complicated" names, haha) playing the Liszt-Wagner Tannhauser piece.
One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.
-Oscar Wilde

You know, some people just have natural talents-like some people play the piano but aren't very tall.
-Noodle pirate
Goldberg
Incorrigible Failure

Postby Brewtality » 29 Jan 2005, 05:44

yeah i really wanted to buy that Ziff DVD when i was in S'pore but the price was 80 bucks! :|
Brewtality
Registered Musician

Postby Goldberg » 29 Jan 2005, 14:38

$80AUS?? Wow...I thought things were supposed to be cheaper in Asia...or is it just China?

Well, I bought my disc for the typical DVD price of $20USD.
-Oscar Wilde

You know, some people just have natural talents-like some people play the piano but aren't very tall.
-Noodle pirate
Goldberg
Incorrigible Failure

Postby Brewtality » 29 Jan 2005, 19:53

actually, it was 80 Singapore dollars which equates to about 60 AUD but its still extreme considering that i wasn't willing to bid 20 USD (~34AUD) on ebay
Brewtality
Registered Musician

Postby An!ma` » 30 Jan 2005, 10:21

That Moiseiwitch (;)) is worth the price alone.
An!ma`
Registered Musician

Postby Nocturneguy » 01 Feb 2005, 12:37

HR 2
Nocturneguy
Registered Musician

Postby PianistSk8er » 27 Feb 2005, 00:12

My recent favorites...
  • TE 12 "Chasse-Neige"
  • Etude No. 4 - Mazeppa
  • Spanish Rhapsody
  • TEs 8, 4, 10, etc.

I LOVE LISZT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PianistSk8er
Violin Concerto Enthusiast
Violin Concerto Enthusiast

Postby Helling » 27 Feb 2005, 00:35

Transcendental etudes 11 and 12 really seem to be in a different category altogether than the others in terms of musicality - not that the others are not great, but I do think 11 and 12 are the most profound musical inspirations in that group.

As far as other works that are rather rare, you could try one of the funeral odes if you feel like great music that has the side effect of dropping your mood a few notches. This one for instance:

http://www.pianosociety.com/index.php?id=221

He also wrote many waltzes that are interesting. The "valse melancolique" is a wortwhile "chopinish" piece which is nonetheless clearly liszt.

http://www.pianosociety.com/index.php?id=238

Liszt also wrote a harmonically strange "galop in a minor" which I believe only Leslie Howard recorded so far. Hmm..and of course czardas obstinee and czardas macabre, as well as the bagatelle sans tonalite. Also, the hungarian "storm marsch" is effective and very nice.
Helling
Registered Musician

Postby citrine_peridot » 22 Mar 2005, 11:41

at this moment, i m obsessed with

6th PE
mazeppa
ricordanza
eroica

i like the flamboyance in Liszt's music(he has kick Beethoven away and became my 2nd chair), but i still prefer the simplicity in Chopin.

i still don't like GGC(i did spend a whole afternoon listening to that, yes, Cziffra's ) ,HR2(i liked the intro, and that's it) mephisto walzt (it bored me)

citrine_peridot
The "Pedal-Eater"

Postby Goldberg » 22 Mar 2005, 11:58

random, pointless comments:

Hah, well, you can't listen to the GGC TOO much at once. I like it and all, but I haven't ever heard it more than twice in a row, and unless I'm doing something beyond just listening to it (for instance, trying to see what the hell Cziffra does in his video to make it seem so easy) I virtually *never* hear the piece. That is, until I want that kind of deviation from the more musical pieces.

I hate the HR2 completely. The whole thing bores me. In my opinion, it's the worst HR in the set, and not just because it's overplayed. Mephisto Waltz is wicked, though, well, all of the MWs are.

Also, I can't really stand Mazeppa any more, unless it's played in a certain way. Actually, what turned me off was that new video by the Jemboy or whatever at PianoSociety. Now the piece sounds so stupid to me, heh. I do like Cziffra's and especially Arrau's famous recording of it, though. My favourite TE's have to be: 1, 2, 6, 8, 10, 11, 12.

I've just recently "discovered" the Spanish Rhapsody, and agree that it's pretty wicked too. I just wish it wasn't played so often...

Erik: I'm rather interested in all the pieces you mentioned in the last paragraph there. Recently, I've been enthralled by general Gypsy music, and have thus developed curiosity for Liszt's piano Czardas pieces.

Actually, that kind of brings me to a rather unrelated, and somewhat unflattering comment: I read a while ago that the word "Cifra" in Hungarian (spelling might be off) refers to a style in Gypsy music that, when translated, means "flashy."

Of course, I know most people here, including me, think much more of Cziffra than that, but I still thought it was somewhat amusing..
-Oscar Wilde

-Noodle pirate
Goldberg
Incorrigible Failure

Postby Helling » 22 Mar 2005, 14:54

Goldberg wrote:Also, I can't really stand Mazeppa any more, unless it's played in a certain way. Actually, what turned me off was that new video by the Jemboy or whatever at PianoSociety. Now the piece sounds so stupid to me, heh.

Jeez so you do have a mean streak after all. The video isn't that bad is it? ;)

I played Mazeppa for my audition programme to the Swedish academy and I always liked it since. Of course now I have forgotten how to play it, as I have with most things.

About those other pieces - czardas obstinee is (obviously) repetitive, and has the interesting idea of the right hand playing in minor and the left in major for many parts. There is another czardas which preceeds it and is simply called "czardas" - they work very well played as a pair.

Czardas macabre is an interesting piece of course. If you learn it, make sure you get the new Liszt edition that has corrected the first bars to what Liszt intended. Previous editions are missing the introduction with the isolated melody and go straight to the part with fifths.

And about the transcendental etudes in general - my view is that no 10 and no 11 are far above the rest in terms of musical importance.
Helling
Registered Musician

Postby Goldberg » 22 Mar 2005, 15:24

Heh, yes, from time to time I suppose I can have "mean streaks" but all in all, I'm just quite honest about things. One thing's for sure, though, he certainly can play the piece better than I'll ever be able to! But that said, I still dislike his interpretation very much.
-Oscar Wilde

-Noodle pirate
Goldberg
Incorrigible Failure

Postby Mephisto » 23 Mar 2005, 06:08

I love Liszt more kind of mysterios works and poetic works.
Dante sonata
All mephistowaltzes1,2,3,4
Ballade no2
Harmonies poetique et religieuse
Valse ouible no4
Sonata in b minor
Fantasy and fuge on the motiv B-A-C-H
I love many more but these are my favourites

-The Mephisto

Mephisto
Registered Musician

Postby Helling » 23 Mar 2005, 14:42

Any Liszt fans here would be advised to check out the site at http://www.lisztworks.com which is an initiative of the rather recently emerged Scandinavian Liszt Society aiming to establish a complete free catalogue of Liszt's works. We have a long way to go, and so far there are few recordings (though we have rather many recordings from "professionals" coming up rather soon). However, the catalogue is comprehensive and the site also contains other Liszt related media (also in development).

Be sure to also contribute anything you want to the project such as texts, recordings etc.
Helling
Registered Musician

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Return to Romantic Period