Login or Register to hide advertisements

Schumann

Music composed between 1815 and 1910, excluding Chopin: Liszt, Mendelssohn, etc.
Post a reply

Postby An!ma` » 16 Oct 2004, 09:37

And Henle published those two in the same book... ugh :).
An!ma`
Registered Musician

Postby WinterWind_23 » 16 Oct 2004, 14:47

An!ma` wrote:
WinterWind_23 wrote:
krittyot wrote:"Scenes from childhood" is something we all should learn.

It's a quite nice set of works. Lots of varied moods and very attractive. I think it is a good training set for children to learn, and for experienced pianist to interpret. I have yet to play it though.

I'm not even gonna start....

It's easy enough for children to learn. Not necessarily 5 year olds, but maybe 12 or 13. I'm pretty sure any person who is pianistic enough or has played for a couple of years can play it. It's not as technically difficult as you think it may be.
WinterWind_23
Registered Musician

Postby An!ma` » 16 Oct 2004, 17:12

I'm practicing it, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. I've had this discussion a million times and don't want to waste time on it again
An!ma`
Registered Musician

Postby WinterWind_23 » 16 Oct 2004, 22:32

An!ma` wrote:I'm practicing it, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. I've had this discussion a million times and don't want to waste time on it again

Maybe it is hard to you, but maybe the piece have technical difficulties that I might find easier than others? It's not at all difficult compared to his other works. Though there might be a few places, overall it is much easier than his other works.
WinterWind_23
Registered Musician

Postby Scriabinist » 17 Oct 2004, 05:48

Yeah, it might not be all that hard technically but I think those are more like "Pieces for adults about childhood" although children may enjoy and play them. Brendel wrote something about the psychological structure of the work in one of his essays but I can't recall anything... >_>
Scriabinist
Registered Musician

Postby Thracozaag » 17 Oct 2004, 09:27

I wrote an unbelievably nerdy entry about Kreisleriana (what I consider to be Schumann's greatest piano work) on the pianosociety website.

koji (STSD)

Thracozaag
Registered Musician

Postby Chozart » 17 Oct 2004, 11:33

WinterWind_23 wrote:
An!ma` wrote:
WinterWind_23 wrote:
krittyot wrote:"Scenes from childhood" is something we all should learn.

It's a quite nice set of works. Lots of varied moods and very attractive. I think it is a good training set for children to learn, and for experienced pianist to interpret. I have yet to play it though.

I'm not even gonna start....

It's easy enough for children to learn. Not necessarily 5 year olds, but maybe 12 or 13. I'm pretty sure any person who is pianistic enough or has played for a couple of years can play it. It's not as technically difficult as you think it may be.

umm... o_O
he means that it requires a certain maturity to play it well.
If it were not so, nearly all 7-10 year olds would be playing it because, indeed, it's not all that technically demanding (as you said).
But most 7-10 year olds don't play it (many people don't till around 13/14 or later), because they don't have that maturity of mind to understand the meaning of and behind the music.

WinterWind_23 wrote:
An!ma` wrote:I'm practicing it, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. I've had this discussion a million times and don't want to waste time on it again

Maybe it is hard to you, but maybe the piece have technical difficulties that I might find easier than others? It's not at all difficult compared to his other works. Though there might be a few places, overall it is much easier than his other works.

You two obviously have different interpretations of the words "hard," "difficult," and "easy."
WW, while you're right that it's not a "hard" piece in that there aren't many technically challenging elements, there's more to it than that..
Pieces from Kinderszenen are technically "easier" compared to many of Schumann's other works, but each and every one of them - along with all of Schumann - require a certain sophistication... and to express it is what makes even the "easiest" of Schumann's works difficult.

Otherwise pieces would be nothing more than notes >_>

That's what I feel, and what it seems An!ma` was trying to convey.
Chozart
"Brendel-like" Mozart & Bach fanatic

Postby An!ma` » 17 Oct 2004, 14:44

Quite, thanks, lol.

And technically, it's not too "easy" neither, I don't see an average 12 yr old playing Gluckes Genug or Fast Zu Ernst perfectly.
I just hate seeing a kid raping Träumerei.
An!ma`
Registered Musician

Postby Max » 18 Oct 2004, 13:38

An!ma` wrote:Quite, thanks, lol.

And technically, it's not too "easy" neither, I don't see an average 12 yr old playing Gluckes Genug or Fast Zu Ernst perfectly.
I just hate seeing a kid raping Träumerei.

Age has nothing to do with musical maturity : either you have it, or you don't. And it comes with experience, or maybe it will just click. Who knows? :whistle:
Max
Registered Musician

Postby WinterWind_23 » 19 Oct 2004, 22:05

Well, you opinion and technique may consider it difficult, but in my opinion, it is not at all difficult compared to his other works, such as kreislenia or his concerto. If that piece is difficult, than I can imagine to no degree how hard his other works are. Of course, musically it is difficult, but not to an extreme degree.
WinterWind_23
Registered Musician

Postby Max » 24 Oct 2004, 03:54

WinterWind_23 wrote:

You can't use 'comparitive difficulty' to judge the difficulty of a piece.
Max
Registered Musician

Postby jim » 29 Oct 2004, 10:23

The only piece by Schumann I've played is Träumerei, a wonderful piece!!
jim
Registered Musician

Postby Chozart » 29 Oct 2004, 18:20

jim wrote:The only piece by Schumann I've played is Träumerei, a wonderful piece!!

wow, you're missing out! :D
WHen I had started out I did a bunch of works from the Album for the Young Op.68
I haven't played any of his works 2 years, but I really had enjoyed it, and love his style of music (so I like to listen to it, too).
The rest of the Kinderszenen Op.15 and Album for the Young Op.68 are very nice ^_^

then of course, there are the 'bigger' (please let's stop the previous little discussion of what seemed to be generally 2 people's clashing opinions on the difficulty of the Träumerei in comparison to Schumann's other works..) works.. :roll:
Chozart
"Brendel-like" Mozart & Bach fanatic

Postby Max » 30 Oct 2004, 17:36

"Your lower level vocabulary only can comprehend one meaning of the word"

No just the two in the dictionary actually

Anyway, has anyone here played the Toccata? (obviously going to be one of you quasi Ziff type people, heh) It sounds a nightmare to play, and it doesnt look so good either.
Max
Registered Musician

Postby WinterWind_23 » 30 Oct 2004, 21:26

Doesn't look so good as to say it is a bad piece?
WinterWind_23
Registered Musician

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Return to Romantic Period