Login or Register to hide advertisements

schumans hands

Music composed between 1815 and 1910, excluding Chopin: Liszt, Mendelssohn, etc.
Post a reply

schumans hands

Postby johnmar78 » 20 Jul 2006, 19:47

Hi guy,
I just curious about why such an genius like schuman, invented a tool that strenches his hands over night. As a results, he ruined his carrer as his wife Clara takes over.

By looking at his work, I am sure his hands is much bigger than mine, the question is that he was not happy at all....

I know some pianist, cut the thumb lignment-the space between the thumb and index finger....

What do you think these people??? and their motives??
johnmar78
Registered Musician

Re: schumans hands

Postby elvenpianist » 20 Jul 2006, 20:16

johnmar78 wrote:Hi guy,
I just curious about why such an genius like schuman, invented a tool that strenches his hands over night.

The reason he wanted to stretch his hands is because he was jealous of Liszt's. Btw, it's "Schumann".

As a results, he ruined his carrer as his wife Clara takes over.

His wife would've been a great pianist whether he ruined his hands or not- she already was a very accomplished pianist when they married, I believe. So I don't really understand your point here.

By looking at his work, I am sure his hands is much bigger than mine, the question is that he was not happy at all....

Uh, Scriabin only had an 8th. You can't tell a composer's span by their compositions. Besides- you can work around a lot of the stretches in Schumann's works (I barely have a 9th, myself).

I know some pianist, cut the thumb lignment-the space between the thumb and index finger....

A friend of a friend of mine had that done, actually- to all fingers.

What do you think these people??? and their motives??

Uh, well, Schumann was crazy. That should answer the rest. :roll:
~Clara Glennette Georgiana Fiorkapatti

"Those little weirdnesses... Schumann- QUIRKY!" -David Dubal

"I am convinced that Bach is the greatest genius who ever walked among us." -Douglas Adams
elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

Postby johnmar78 » 20 Jul 2006, 20:45

thank Pal, I mean Clara did lots of concert tours after his death.

So, your friends had done it, what was the outcome, was he/she happy and how many keys can thery strench before/after.

I can do 10the at maxium but rather roll it. I have a wide palm and short fingers but slim. I supose the wide palm makes up the lenghths.
johnmar78
Registered Musician

Postby PJF » 21 Jul 2006, 06:45

Does anyone else see the link between Schumann's technique philosophy and his injuries? Fixation is baaaad!
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Registered Musician

Postby elvenpianist » 21 Jul 2006, 10:15

PJF wrote:Does anyone else see the link between Schumann's technique philosophy and his injuries? Fixation is baaaad!

His techniques are perfectly playable without causing the slightest injury to me. I guess I must be superhuman or something. :roll::roll::roll:
~Clara Glennette Georgiana Fiorkapatti

"Those little weirdnesses... Schumann- QUIRKY!" -David Dubal

"I am convinced that Bach is the greatest genius who ever walked among us." -Douglas Adams
elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

Postby dnephi » 19 Sep 2006, 19:42

His technique was actually very well done, with almost all of it being pianistic. His Toccata is one of the best Etudes of its type, I am told.

Now, he wanted to be independent with his fourth finger, and the claviplast would supposedly help him. However, it maimed him instead.

Liszt's fourth fingers were unnaturally independent, and while we're on it, his fingers had virtually no webbing and his fingers were blunt instead of being tapered, allowing maximum force. :P

Any pianist, I'm sure, if he was greedy and not too smart (He was only about 20) would experiment with a device to add independence to his fourth finger.
dnephi
Registered Musician

Postby Jeliness2 » 20 Sep 2006, 19:07

haha, like my piano seminar teacher told us, he was bipolar and a little schizophrenic. So, he tied his finger to the ceiling... lmaooooo hahahah he was probably exaggerating about this, but it is funny.
Jeliness2
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby dnephi » 21 Sep 2006, 08:52

Jeliness2 wrote:haha, like my piano seminar teacher told us, he was bipolar and a little schizophrenic. So, he tied his finger to the ceiling... lmaooooo hahahah he was probably exaggerating about this, but it is funny.

Wow, that's horrible. No, try googling claviplast if you want to know what it was. Your teacher was horribly unfair to him.
dnephi
Registered Musician

Re: schumans hands

Postby pianola » 19 Oct 2007, 11:27

wow, people sure like talking about composers' hands....

Schumann trying to stretch his hands is......dumb. i mean, as a COMPOSER, u dont really have to have big hands.
and i cant believe people would hurt themselves trying to make their hands bigger. for me, reaching an octave is ENOUGH. who cares if u cant reach a 12th like liszt.....
pianola
Registered Musician

Post a reply

Return to Romantic Period