Back to Home Forum Index

Chopin's Great Underrated Works

Discussion of Chopin's life and works, only.
Post a reply

Postby Philip Daniel on Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:01 am

sinding wrote:What about the variations on 'La Ci Darem' ? I find this one of Chopin's most engaging pieces. Talented pianists will probably find 90% of the music technically easy. (If you can play his Etudes well I don't see much of a problem with this piece) There is one variation which is tiring and needs piano fitness to master, but then so do some of the Etudes....There is always a passage in his music I find impossible to master.

I see your point clearly, yet I can't help but say that the variations on 'La Ci Darem La Mano' has earned its place rightly...as musical fluff. Despite the fact that it is indeed the work of a young genius on the path to glory, it does not stand a chance to his later works, which are more refined and visionary. Though I do dispute the idea that it is underrated, it is truly a fun piece to play. And I will agree, "There is always a passage in his music I find impossible to master."
Philip Daniel
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby sinding on Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:53 pm

Well I will agree that the variations are not deep as his later works but as you state it is a fun piece (except for the last variation which is more serious) I don't agree that it is musical fluff since I don't consider anything that I have heard by Chopin as poor taste or gaudy. Even the simplest of the poshtumous waltzes has very little difficuty for even a child yet Chopin's genius with melody and harmony shines out, when at first glance it looks like a skeleton of a piece. Can you play the variations? If so, tell me how you found the second last one, with both hands having to do leaps all the way through. I find it very tiring. The finale is exciting and almost on par with the Krakoviak finale. The beginning is no cakewalk either with all the polyrhythms.
sinding
Registered Musician

Postby juufa72 on Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:34 pm

What about his Concertos, these are no where near as popular as other composer's Conertos, i.e Mozart, Beethoven, Liszt, etc. Second, could be his Fantasy op.49
juufa72
Registered Musician

Postby PJF on Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:08 pm

His second concerto (F minor) is so beautiful, but not performed often enough! The first concerto is not as deep but is more popular. Why?
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby PJF on Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:53 am

I think I know the answer to my own question. The first concerto is easier.
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby prelude4 on Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:38 pm

Chopin's greatest underrated work was the Prelude in e minor. It basically pictured the way Chopin felt about his life. There's some really cool macrocosm/ microcosm as well.
prelude4
Registered Musician

Postby juufa72 on Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:28 pm

3 Ecossiases
Album Leaf
Allegro de Concert
Barcarole
Berceuse
Bolero
Cantabile
Contredanse
Fantasy in F
Fuga
Funeral March op. 72
Introduction and Variation on a German Air
Largo
Tarantelle
Variation 6 from Hexamero
Variations Brillantes op.12

His Chamber Works
Polish Songs op.74

Did I miss any?
juufa72
Registered Musician

Postby citrine_peridot on Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:23 pm

Pul-leese, the f minor fantasia is hell popular...(not in that cliche that kind though...)

citrine_peridot
The "Pedal-Eater"

Postby elvenpianist on Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:14 pm

The Rondo ala Mazur is incredible; HEART that, lol.

-elf
~Clara Glennette Georgiana Fiorkapatti

"Those little weirdnesses... Schumann- QUIRKY!" -David Dubal

"I am convinced that Bach is the greatest genius who ever walked among us." -Douglas Adams
elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

Postby Brewtality on Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:53 am

Barcarolle. Though not underplayed per se, it is underrated. I consider it Chopin's greatest piece.

Brewtality
Registered Musician

Postby b3n on Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:19 am

What about Trois Etudes? You don't hear much of them,maybe thats cos they arent very 'good', but i like them, the first one especially.
b3n
Registered Musician

Postby MI_5 on Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:52 pm

I think the Posth. C# minor Nocturne is underrated. It is not as recognized compared with the other nocturnes. Personally, this is my all-time favorite nocturne.

Of course, I agree with most that Barcarolle is a wonderful piece.
MI_5
Registered Musician

Re: Chopin's Great Underrated Works

Postby pianola on Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:34 am

i think all of chopins works deserve a higher rate. even though i dont think they can be rated any higher because they are already considered one of the best piano pieces in history, its kind of like, Chopin is mostly known to musical people.
in my opinion, Chopin is not as famous in general to the "normal" and "unmusical" people as mozart and beethoven and bach etc.
pianola
Registered Musician

Re: Chopin's Great Underrated Works

Postby pianola on Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:35 am

i think Chopin himself is underrated. i know he cant be more famous because he is SOOOO famous already. but it seems like, hes not AS famous to the "normal" and "unmusical" people as mozart, beethoven, and bach.
pianola
Registered Musician

Previous

Post a reply

Return to Frédéric F. Chopin