Back to Home Forum Index

Chopin's Fantasie-Impromptu

Discussion of Chopin's life and works, only.
Post a reply

Postby Philip Daniel on Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:08 am

Is it true that Chopin disliked his Fantasy-Impromptu in part because it bears resemblance to a piano piece by Moscheles, a contemporary composer whom Chopin had many reservations about? It is excellently composed, both brilliant in aspects of harmony and melodic expression, so I wonder why he hated it so much, even enough to keep it from being published during his lifetime :roll:.
Best Wishes,
Philip Daniel
User avatar
Philip Daniel
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)
 
Posts: 811
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:46 pm
Top

Postby Flaming Buttocks of Doom on Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:19 am

Jeliness, I would find it very impressive if a 13 year old could play the Impromptu with clarity and sparkle and not in one blurred mess of pedal and scrambled, uneven notes. Excuse my skepticism, but I have seen this piece butchered enough times by young pianists who think they can play it to not believe those that say they can.

Philip, that is correct. Another story, perhaps apocryphal, perhaps not, goes that Chopin composed the piece because he was inspired by a piece that had potential, but he felt was wasted. Or something along those lines. Basically, he saw potential in a work that he felt was not done justice, and decided to build upon what he saw - the result being the Fantasie-Impromptu. I'm not sure about the credibility of this one, though.
Flaming Buttocks of Doom
Registered Musician
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:02 am
Top

Postby Jeliness2 on Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:24 am

ok, sorry that i said that i play FI.... :roll:
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder
 
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:31 pm
Top

Postby Flaming Buttocks of Doom on Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:01 am

Hey, don't have to apologise. You can post a recording and prove me well wrong. I would love to be proven wrong on this issue, but as of yet it hasn't happened. :)
Flaming Buttocks of Doom
Registered Musician
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:02 am
Top

Postby Medtner on Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:53 pm

Flaming Buttocks of Doom wrote:Hey, don't have to apologise. You can post a recording and prove me well wrong. I would love to be proven wrong on this issue, but as of yet it hasn't happened. :)


Your name sickens me. :roll:
User avatar
Medtner
Registered Musician
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:23 pm
Top

Postby Scriabinist on Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:21 pm

How would FI compare to the impromptu in F# Op. 36 in terms of difficulty?

Scriabinist
Registered Musician
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:51 am
Top

Postby virtuoso_735 on Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:23 pm

Scriabinist wrote:How would FI compare to the impromptu in F# Op. 36 in terms of difficulty?


I think the F# major impromptu is more difficult as a whole as it contains more technical difficulty and variety, while the FI has mainly cross-rhthyms and fast figurations for the most part.
User avatar
virtuoso_735
Registered Musician
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:06 pm
Location: California, USA
Top

Postby WinterWind_23 on Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:51 am

Chopin didn't like the piece because some wrote something before, and the FI sounded derivative of that piece. It was published after his death but the late start has been made up for by the immense popularity of the piece.
User avatar
WinterWind_23
Registered Musician
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:09 pm
Location: Washington D.C.
Top

Postby citrine_peridot on Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:10 pm

i once heard it played in a music video by the pop singer himself,
he was in a bamboo forest . while the leaves falling down, he played FI for about 25sec, then start to sing his song ,then stop then play the middle section~~~~~~~~~~ his playing was nothing close to yundi's ~~~~~~~~~ at lease not many wrong notes .another thing , it was a little upright~~~~~~~~~~the company must be poor

just some entertainment~~~~~~~~~~~````

citrine_peridot
The "Pedal-Eater"
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:12 pm
Top

Postby Philip Daniel on Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:40 am

Medtner wrote:
Flaming Buttocks of Doom wrote:Hey, don't have to apologise. You can post a recording and prove me well wrong. I would love to be proven wrong on this issue, but as of yet it hasn't happened. :)


Your name sickens me. :roll:


I blieve that the word "flaming" suggests, or denotes, homosexuality :shock:.
User avatar
Philip Daniel
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)
 
Posts: 811
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:46 pm
Top

Postby Scriabinist on Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:49 am

virtuoso_735 wrote:
Scriabinist wrote:How would FI compare to the impromptu in F# Op. 36 in terms of difficulty?


I think the F# major impromptu is more difficult as a whole as it contains more technical difficulty and variety, while the FI has mainly cross-rhthyms and fast figurations for the most part.


Haha, fortunately, you were wrong about that one. :DI started dabbling with the F# major Impromptu yesterday and I think it's easier than Op. 66. I admit, it's harder to memorize and read but getting it up to tempo is easier.

Scriabinist
Registered Musician
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:51 am
Top

Postby Helling on Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:41 am

The FI, while being a rather dull and uninspired work as far as I'm concerned, is probably one of the most pianistic pieces of Chopin's entire output - sounding difficult while in fact being quite simple to play.
Helling
Registered Musician
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:17 am
Top

Postby Amnesia on Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:46 am

Helling wrote:The FI, while being a rather dull and uninspired work as far as I'm concerned, is probably one of the most pianistic pieces of Chopin's entire output - sounding difficult while in fact being quite simple to play.


The fact that you would even say that proves you don't know much about the piece at all. Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu is not only an inspirational piece, but it's one of his most challenging pieces to play well. Sure, anyone can play something, but playing it well, the way the composer intended it to be played, is something entirely different.
User avatar
Amnesia
Registered Musician
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:55 pm
Location: Montreux, Switzerland
Top

Postby Helling on Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:58 am

Amnesia wrote:The fact that you would even say that proves you don't know much about the piece at all. Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu is not only an inspirational piece, but it's one of his most challenging pieces to play well. Sure, anyone can play something, but playing it well, the way the composer intended it to be played, is something entirely different.


The fact that I would even say that rather proves that I have another opinion than you do about this piece, not that your opinion is somehow correct from an objective point of view while mine would be wrong.

The tired argument about anything being difficult to play well would apply to any piece - you can use it to claim that op 28 no 4 is the most difficult piece in the world to play well. However, unless Chopin came to visit you during a spirit meeting and told you that FI has a special kind of difficulty that isn't shared by most any other Chopin piece, I don't really see your point. That is only your perception of this piece, not having anything to do with how Chopin intended this particular piece to be played - as you cannot very well know that.

Rather, the little evidence that does exist rather points to the fact that Chopin didn't care much for this piece. At least it was one of the ones he asked to be destroyed at his deathbed. Whether that is to be taken as a sign that he genuinely disliked the piece is open for the debate, but I doubt he did this because nobody could play it well.
Helling
Registered Musician
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:17 am
Top

Postby Helling on Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:09 am

Also, I (or rather we) accepted your recording of this piece for the piano society site. Thus, it's not as if my negative opinion about this piece leads to any sort of discrimination. ;)
Helling
Registered Musician
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:17 am
Top

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Return to Frédéric F. Chopin

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest