Back to Home Forum Index

Chopin's 4 Ballades

Discussion of Chopin's life and works, only.
Post a reply

Your favorite?

Ballade No. 1, Op. 23 in G Minor
49%
Ballade No. 2, Op. 38 in F Major
3%
Ballade No. 3, Op. 47 in A-Flat Major
11%
Ballade No. 4, Op. 52 in F Minor
35%

Total votes : 53

Chopin's 4 Ballades

Postby PianistSk8er on Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:38 pm

Ahh yes the Ballades, who could forget?

My favorite would have to be the first, for displaying such a variety of Chopin's capabilities and difference in melodic thinking. It implies a bit of almost every emotion possible to display on the piano. Well done, Chopin! :)

PS
PianistSk8er
Aspiring Horo-Cziffra
Aspiring Horo-Cziffra

Postby beethoven on Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:47 pm

I also love the first one. My favourite recordings of it are Horowitz and Rubinstein.
beethoven
Registered Musician

Postby virtuoso_735 on Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:00 pm

Love the first one, though all of them have been my "favorites" at some point, since each one has qualities that make it special; and all have such variety that one cannot be tired of them. No.4 of course is the greatest and has the most spacious design, though no.1 appeals to me the most. I love the stormy section of the no.2, and the suaveness of no.3 is great.
virtuoso_735
Registered Musician

Postby WinterWind_23 on Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:17 pm

All are great, but I admit that the first stand best in my preferences. It is so varied in musicality and technique that it is outstanding. The fourth is my second favorite because of it's grandeur and large scale writing. Perhaps one of the greatest piano pieces of the Romantic Era. Third favorite is second, because of it's melodies and form. The unique exchange and dialogue between "flower and storm". The third is next, since it is not as revolutionary as the rest, yet just as pleasant.
WinterWind_23
Registered Musician

Postby Amnesia on Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:20 pm

No. 1 and then No. 3. Two very beautiful ballades, but then again, they're all beautiful :). The third is more elusive, whereas the first has a very clear, solid structure, but very expressive nonetheless.
Amnesia
Registered Musician

Postby virtuoso_735 on Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:32 pm

The first ballade almost seems like theme and variations. The Eb theme is played three times, all differently.
virtuoso_735
Registered Musician

Postby An!ma` on Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:51 pm

Deja vu :roll:.
An!ma`
Registered Musician

Postby Jeliness2 on Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:06 pm

My favorite is no.3. mostly cause i play it.
2nd is no.1
then 4 and lastly no.2
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Postby Philip Daniel on Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:27 pm

My favorite is the beloved Ballade #4 in F Minor. It is so beautiful, a piano masterpiece of rather epic proportions, rare in Chopin's ouvre, and so well-composed, with Chopin's nearly perfect compositional techniques in melodic & harmonic invention coupled with his genius in polyphony as integrated into the overall structure and his aesthetic genius in full bloom, representing an apex of the musical work of his era. From the hushed octaves and subtle heterophonic counterpoint as inherent in the voice leading of the dimly colored introduction to the final pages of brilliance in the coda, there is never a dull passage in this work.
Philip Daniel
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby Philip Daniel on Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:18 am

virtuoso_735 wrote:The first ballade almost seems like theme and variations. The Eb theme is played three times, all differently.

Yes, that has some truth in it. Indeed, Chopin's genius lay in many things, including the ability to vary the texture and other components of a thematic return in a piece in a fresh, startling way each time. A famous example, from the Nocturne Opus 62 #1, is especially famous for the return of its opening theme, one could say, "reorchestrated" on the pianoforte. It comes back, every note being a trill. The trills are less an ornament, as I said, more an expressive rendering that changes the entire effect of the original section in its recapitulation.
Philip Daniel
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby WinterWind_23 on Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:20 am

I think the 4th is greatest of all of them, regardless. It is the largest scale, most difficult, and geniusly composed. Though it may not be some people's favorite.
WinterWind_23
Registered Musician

Postby Debussy on Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:08 am

A few days ago, I voted for Ballade No.1 in G Minor, however, I was listening a lot more closely to Ballade No.3 in Ab Major; I've come to the conclusion that I like No.3 better.
Debussy
Chopin Music's Casanova

Postby virtuoso_735 on Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:11 am

Philip Daniel wrote:
virtuoso_735 wrote:The first ballade almost seems like theme and variations. The Eb theme is played three times, all differently.

Yes, that has some truth in it. Indeed, Chopin's genius lay in many things, including the ability to vary the texture and other components of a thematic return in a piece in a fresh, startling way each time. A famous example, from the Nocturne Opus 62 #1, is especially famous for the return of its opening theme, one could say, "reorchestrated" on the pianoforte. It comes back, every note being a trill. The trills are less an ornament, as I said, more an expressive rendering that changes the entire effect of the original section in its recapitulation.

Yeah, Chopin is a genius in the way he organizes his compositions and the creativity in which he presents the themes. That op.62 no.1 nocturne is one of my favorite Chopin pieces; love the trill chains.
virtuoso_735
Registered Musician

Postby Jeliness2 on Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:12 am

LOL, yay! i'm good... 3 is the best :)
Jeliness2
Moderator Team Lieder
Moderator Team Lieder

Postby Comme_le_Vent on Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:13 am

IMO - no1's ending spoils it a bit 4 me
Comme_le_Vent
Permanently Banned

Next