Login or Register to hide advertisements

-:|:- Question: Mazurka Op. 68, No. 4 in F minor -:|:-

Chopin's life and works, only
Post a reply

-:|:- Question: Mazurka Op. 68, No. 4 in F minor -:|:-

Postby Spider Fingers » 07 Apr 2009, 19:46

Hello friends and fellow musicians!

I have a really quick question regarding Chopin's Mazurka (No. 51) Op. 68, No. 4 in F minor. I was recently introduced to this marvelous piece and when I went to purchase the MP3 of it on Amazon I received a recording done by Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli.

I then downloaded the sheet music for this piece from imslp.org:

http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/d ... _Op_68.pdf

Now, the MP3 that I purchased from Amazon and the sheet music that I downloaded from this site do not match up entirely. So, I purchased yet another version of this Mazurka (I'm assuming the original one) which is about 1 minute and 40 seconds shorter than the Michelangeli recording.

When going back over to Amazon and buying the "shorter version", I noticed yet another recording of this particular Mazurka that was done by Vladimir Ashkenazy, and it said next to the title "Revised version". And THAT, is my question(s):

Could someone please fill me in or provide me with a little more information regarding this "Revised version"? And as well, would someone please be kind enough to steer me in the right direction as to where I may be able to acquire the sheet music for this Revised/longer version of the Mazurka?

I really do love both versions ― long and short ― but would really like to be able to learn the Revised one if possible.

I so very much appreciate anyone's helpful insight regarding this beautiful piece, and I thank you so much for your time in reading this thesaurus-size post. =^ )

All the best,

Andy
Spider Fingers
Registered Musician

Re: -:|:- Question: Mazurka Op. 68, No. 4 in F minor -:|:-

Postby PJF » 09 Apr 2009, 22:12

Hi Andy. Welcome to the forum.

A good thesaurus question deserves a good thesaurus answer. (I can't believe I actually know the answer to this!) :lol:

The edition shown is that of the incomplete Fontana (or Mikuli) edition. It is a mistake made by Franchomme.

Auguste Franchomme, (1808-84) a cellist and professor at the Paris conservatory was one of Chopin's closest French friends. He transcribed many of Chopin's works, including the Mazurka in question, of which he omitted a section of 16 bars in F major.

A more satisfactory reconstruction had been suggested by Jan Ekier in a separate edition of the piece (Krakow, PWM, 1965 no. 5817). Two other reconstructions have been reproduced, by Wojciech Nowik [Attempted reconstruction of Chopin's F Minor Mazurka op. 68/4] Annales Chopin VIII, 1969, pp. 44-85 and by Ronald Smith (Chopin, The final composition, Mazurka in F minor op. posthumous (Fontana op. 68 no. 4) a completely new realization, New York, Hansen House, 1975).

Good luck finding these editions! Let me know if you find one.
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Registered Musician

Postby Spider Fingers » 13 Apr 2009, 16:53

Hi Pete!

Thank you SO much, my friend for your very valuable insight regarding this mazurka!

Over the years and since the birth of the internet, I've actually been able to track down some pretty rare recordings of a plethora of scarce songs strewn throughout the globe. However . . . I can honestly say that this is THE very first time that I'm now going to try and be hot on the trail of a piece of sheet music! =^ )

I shall definitely keep you posted on my progress, and if I happen to hunt this particular piece down ― I shall let you know as soon as possible!!

Once again Pete, I greatly appreciate your reply back and thanks for the good luck wishes regarding my search!

Shine on,

Andy
Spider Fingers
Registered Musician

Postby PJF » 17 Apr 2009, 22:51

You're welcome! ...and do keep us up to date. :D
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Registered Musician

Postby adamus » 05 Apr 2010, 20:25

Hi,

Have any of you been able to find Ekier's recounstruction? I'm really interested in it. I was trying to find it, but it seems it's not easily available...

Regards,
Adam
adamus
Registered Musician

Postby Spider Fingers » 09 Apr 2010, 16:02

Hi Adam,

Unfortunately, I still have not yet located the ultra-scarce reconstruction of Chopin's Op. 68, No. 4 Mazurka. Checking out these three renditions on YouTube . . . somebody out there has to have it!! B^ )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSzzwBO9 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=przqQyPp-j8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbrCi1TX_XI

Good luck in your searches!

-Andy
Spider Fingers
Registered Musician

Postby ermina62 » 15 May 2010, 18:16

Hi

I'm an undergrad at the University of NC at Chapel Hill, and apparently our music library owns copies of the revised version edited by Jan Ekier and Ronald Smith

http://search.lib.unc.edu/search?R=UNCb4737261 (Jan Ekier)
http://search.lib.unc.edu/search?R=UNCb2698998 (Ronald Smith)

I'm hoping that the University library takes requests from those looking for rare sheet music. Good Luck!!! (I'm not so familiar with the check-out policy, sorry...)
ermina62
Registered Musician

Postby adamus » 21 Jul 2010, 09:48

I was able to notate it by ear, from the rendition of Jean Marc Luisada (the complete set of Mazurkas). I'm quite sure it's very accurate. Anyone interested?
adamus
Registered Musician

Post a reply

Return to Frédéric Chopin