Back to Home Forum Index

Prelude in e minor

Discussion of Chopin's life and works, only.
Post a reply

Postby prelude4 on Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:35 pm

I'm for it being a compositional error. If he had followed it correctly, the piece's internal logic would be completely changed.
prelude4
Registered Musician

Postby johnlink on Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:10 am

prelude4 wrote:I'm for it being a compositional error. If he had followed it correctly, the piece's internal logic would be completely changed.

Your conclusion that "If he had followed it correctly, the piece's internal logic would be completely changed" is the result of treating the Bb instead of an A# as a compositional error. If you think of it as one of the numerous spelling mistakes in Chopin's work then no such conclusion follows. Your conclusion also seems to be the result of assuming that Chopin composed according to theoretical rules, or according to notation, which I doubt he did. I believe, instead, that he let the music go where it wanted to go, or where he heard it go, and then notated his compositions in whatever way he found convenient, sometimes including spelling mistakes.
johnlink
Registered Musician

Postby b3n on Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:28 am

Music pleases to the ears, not the eyes. And it is with the ears you will find a COMPOSITIONAL error as apposed to a spelling mistake.
b3n
Registered Musician

Postby johnlink on Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:45 pm

b3n wrote:Music pleases to the ears, not the eyes. And it is with the ears you will find a COMPOSITIONAL error as apposed to a spelling mistake.

Yes.
johnlink
Registered Musician

Postby johnlink on Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:57 pm

Here is the spelling mistake to which I referred in an earlier post in this thread:

In bar 12, Chopin spells the triplet at the end of the bar "D C B". I say it ought to be spelled "Cx C B". Now what I propose looks quite strange compared to Chopin's spelling, but the reason for my spellling is that the chord implied in that bar is B7b9#9b13, which is spelled "B D# F#A C Cx G". The correct spelling for the #9 of B is "Cx", not "D".

I assume this example makes clear what a stickler I am about spelling.
johnlink
Registered Musician

Previous

Post a reply

Return to Frédéric F. Chopin