Login or Register to hide advertisements

Easiest Etude?

Chopin's life and works, only
Post a reply

Easiest Etude?

Postby étudiant » 09 Jun 2006, 16:05

I'm just about done learning op.25 no.1 and was wondering which etude I should attempt next. The Harp Study's about all the difficulty I can take--with that said, which etudes are easier (or easiest) out of op. 10 and 25?

In particular I've been wondering about the relative difficulty of op.10 no.3 and 5 and op.25 no.2, 9, and especially 12. Any tips?
étudiant
Registered Musician

Postby nathf » 22 Jun 2006, 09:27

If you say that you can play the op25 no1, then thats pretty good by itself. If you want a really easy to learn one, look at the three nouvelles etudes (only two pages each). The first one focuses on having a single voice melody in the right hand playing six notes a bar in the time the left hand plays 8. This is great for your brain, getting used to that awkward timing. And this is the kind of thing you would practice before learning something like fantasie impromptu (same sort of timing). Thats a pretty easy etude. Or like you said, the 25-2 is relatively simple, and happens to focus on that same awkward timing issue too (but is longer and played presto, therefore generally more difficult).
Op10-12 isnt as hard as it looks. It repeats quite a bit. If your up to a bit of a challenge, try that. Nice left hand workout.
As for Op25-12, well, thats a bit harder...
nathf
Registered Musician

Postby étudiant » 28 Jun 2006, 15:32

Thanks for the tips. I wouldn't have guessed that the Revolutionary Etude is doable for someone like me--I may, in fact, attempt it at some point.

I've actually been working on two of the "Nouvelles" Etudes and yeah, they're easier. I was wondering specifically about the 24 Etudes proper--which are easier than the Harp Study? And of all the ones I'd like to learn, is the Butterfly Etude one of them?
étudiant
Registered Musician

Postby johnmar78 » 28 Jun 2006, 18:56

I played the revoulutionary study since 12 years ago, but at the time, I could not reach the "concert" speed. I mean like the one played on the cd like the masters. In the last few months I am getting closer....but as a pianst, there is a room for improvement. I dnt mean faster is better. I mean for this particular piece, you really need a bit up tempo to get that feel and anger.

Try the butterfly etude, its the shortest one, or try the b flat one(preto).
I found these two are the easiest and to play by heart.

I hope this helps

Thank
johnmar78
Registered Musician

Postby PJF » 08 Jul 2006, 05:31

By far, opus 10 No. 5 is the easiest. The "black key" etude.

Be sure to concentrate on the left hand part, it is the conductor to this etude's orchestra.

There must be an unbroken legatissimo in the right hand and an extremely accurate and even staccato in the left hand.

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, FOCUS ON INCREASING THE TEMPO!!!!!

ABOVE ALL ELSE, CONCENTRATE ON MAKING BEAUTIFUL SOUND!!!!!!!

The most important thing is to play it beautifully. Savor all the weird overtones caused by the mixing of the two hands. Try to put that strange, musical twist to it.

After you've fully succeeded in this task, only then increase speed.

Just resign yourself to the fact that you can play it fast but you choose to play it beautifully! It's not a horse race, it's Chopin. Patience, my friends!

No one will mind if it's played very slowly.

If, however, you play it so fast the sound suffers, you will look like (and actually be) a fool.
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Registered Musician

Re: Easiest Etude?

Postby pianola » 17 Oct 2007, 19:55

try opus 25 no 2. its easy once u get the hang of it.
and try Revolutionary Etude next. its not exactly the easiest but its really nice sounding and fun to play. the sight reading might scare u for a SECOND and then u realized its actually playable. :D
pianola
Registered Musician

Postby Lya » 09 Sep 2008, 08:54

I think op.25 no.2 and 25 no.1 are the easier..
Lya
Registered Musician

Postby shaulhadar » 15 Nov 2008, 03:11

i think op 25 no. 2 is the easiest.......
op 10. number 9 is less harder than it seems, but than again.....every musical peice you play....after you master it technically, the demand to play it emotionally without any restrains is the real challenge to every true pianist....so i whould say that each peice is actually hard... but universally speaking... i whould go for op 25 no 2, and op 10, number 3 (except its midlle part which is quite demanding)

have a fun :)
shaulhadar
Registered Musician

Postby gavin_rossdale » 08 Jul 2011, 07:14

A good Etude to start with is op. 25 no. 1.
10 no 6 is also a good piano music, but I think it's harder, personally.
gavin_rossdale
Registered Musician

Post a reply

Return to Frédéric Chopin