Back to Home Forum Index

The fantasie-impromptu...ONCE AGAIN!!! :):D

Discussion of Chopin's life and works, only.
Post a reply

The fantasie-impromptu...ONCE AGAIN!!! :):D

Postby tony on Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:18 pm

Guys, I have a young artists festival in witch I need to perform the Fantasie-Impromptu.I was wondering if anyone had insight on the piece?I know it already and can play it just some extra 'polishing' and 'showmanship'. Any place you like crescendos or faster speed or anything. I'm sorry, I can't post a recording because 1)I don't have the equipment 2)I don't know how. It stinks though because I am required to play it under, or at 5 minutes, so, I have to speed up the beautiful mid-section. :(oh well... Thanks for any insight!:)

tony
Registered Musician

Postby MindenBlues on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:15 pm

The FI belongs to my "repertoire" pieces that I can play by heart. Maybe I would get it below 5 minutes if I would speed up a bit the middle part. But I think it is nonsense to set a certain time limit. This beautiful piece can sound beautiful even or perhaps because of played not too fast. Better let it take 6 minutes, but try to play exactly. Let the crossrhythm be audible. Often, the left hand parts is barely audible what I do not like.

And I do not like 'showmanship' at all. Does not lead to more musical playing.
Better play slower but not blurred and with soul, this will win your listeners.

By the way, in the middle part there is a short right hand run (7 notes). There are editions at which the 2nd time this run is extended to a much longer run going over 3 octaves what sounds very good and is not too hard to play - makes the repetitions more interesting. Perhaps you could give it a try.
MindenBlues
Registered Musician

Postby tony on Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:30 pm

ok, thanks! I'll see what I can do! I'll see about the run... and I 'd love to play it 6 min but it's just impossible but I don't think they'll get upset if I take an extra 20 seconds...:):lol:

Thanks again once mroe!

tony
Registered Musician

Postby MindenBlues on Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:36 pm

Here is the link to the score to see the run I mentioned:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage ... ion_id=550

It is on page 5 somewhere in the middle, you will find it.
It sounds difficultier than it is and gives - if played loud - a strong climax to the repetitions during the middle part.

I recorded it a time ago, if you like to listen to (with the mentioned run), here it is:
http://family-schmidt-minden.de/MindenB ... omptus.mp3

Meanwhile I play it a bit faster, probably I replace the file on the server anytime.
MindenBlues
Registered Musician

Re: The fantasie-impromptu...ONCE AGAIN!!! :):D

Postby citrine_peridot on Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:16 pm

why is that you need to play FI?? is that the only piece those people know?

and for a person who can play heroic polonaise in a reasonable manner , I don't get it why you want to cut the time by speeding up the mid-section...(you once ask if you should play op.53 for that teacher in that music school, so i assume you can play it pretty well...)

citrine_peridot
The "Pedal-Eater"

Postby tony on Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:34 am

That was a very nice recording Minden! There was some things I would play diffrentley, but of course everyone plays according to their own style.how many minutes was that performance?Citrine,I don't need to play it , but I think it was the best. My teacher said she liked it and thought it would be a good one... either that or the revolutionary , but I didn't wantt o do that one I thought it was a bit to short and lots would be doing it.I don't want to speed up the mid- section but, I have to do it in 5 min because the alotted time for all performers.I can play the Heroic polanaise good, but I don't have a few sections memorised like about two pages or so. :)Thanks for your concern though! I'll practice that run Minden untill I get the acceptance letter(hopefully). :)

tony
Registered Musician

Postby juufa72 on Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:59 am

well that sucks for the 5 min. limit. It should be 10minutes instead so you can play a Ballade or Scherzo.
juufa72
Registered Musician

Postby tony on Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:34 pm

yeah... :(

tony
Registered Musician

Postby Ash_Mofidi on Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:40 pm

Don't speed up the middle part, Tony; I think the speed that olaf plays is good, but speed up the first and last parts and use metronome while practicing. Don't play by heart at first, start with slower speed. When you've learned to play softly and correctly at this speed, then increase your speed gradually until you reach the acceptable speed, then you can play by heart. Now I'm using this method for Chopin's Etude Op. 10 No. 1. You need to practice about 2 to 3 hours on it, and don't think you can reach the speed easily. Don't forget the metronome, Tony. 8)

juufa72 wrote:well that sucks for the 5 min. limit. It should be 10 minutes instead, so you can play a Ballade or Scherzo.

And i'm sure you can play a piano concerto by this time. :lol::P

da Ash

Edited by PS for legibility. Please stop using such large fonts.
Last edited by Ash_Mofidi on Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ash_Mofidi
Registered Musician

Postby juufa72 on Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:05 am

Ash_Mofidi wrote:
juufa72 wrote:well that sucks for the 5 min. limit. It should be 10 minutes instead so you can play a Ballade or Scherzo.

And I'm sure you can play a piano concerto by this time :lol::P

Do you mean that I can play a concerto at this time?
juufa72
Registered Musician

Postby tony on Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:19 pm

Well, ash I already know the piece and can play it very fast.. i was just asking for some last polishing teqniques and such...:)

tony
Registered Musician

Postby tony on Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:12 pm

Does anyone have tips ona good crescendo in the run up in down on the first page in the main theme i think it's the fifth fourth or sith measure on the beginning of the piece... it repets eevrywhere int he music I would like a good crescendo and decrescendo... and also in the end iof the music before the opart where it repeats the mid sectiol melody int he left hand I would like to accent gthe note in the last aggitato part... how can I accent them good?If you don't know where I am talking about go to mindenblue's post and glo to page one in measure 7.I would like a better decrescendo and cresendo there. and also in pg.8 where it starts that agitato kin of themee how can i accent the notes? they start like this:e,e,d,d,c,c etc...

thanks.

tony
Registered Musician

Postby tony on Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:31 am

hey guys, the performance is in a few days!!! :shock:**nervous**. lol I have a few things that need some clearing up. In the pieceright near the beggining past the left hand repeating arpeggios and past the first two measure with the main little theme.. the run that goes upa nd then down.. my fingers straighten out.. is that normal or should I try to curve them?? I also have problem with dynamics in the beggining.. the run is so fast and I don't know how to improve the dynamics any tips?? also, what's another way to remember dynamics through out the whole piece? WHat fingerings do u have for the mesure near the beggingin where the run goes up and dopwn? How can i make this part so all notes are herad with pedal and dynamics.. I always mess up near the part int eh run where u have to go down from the high b...I have trouble slipping the thumb underneath during the run also.. need help!! any tips or movies of ur self playing it would be great!!!!! I wish I could post myself playing it!!!!!!!thanks for anything!!

tony
Registered Musician

Postby MindenBlues on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:34 am

Tony, don't change fingering a few days before your recital!

What you need is to maintain a calm and relaxed playing. Practise the FI hand separated with half speed (middle part maybe not necessary). Believe me, one time played that way is much more worth than 5 times both hands in full speed together.
But take care to play with the dynamics you like, with the accents you like (you mentioned that tricky coda part) while you play hand separated and slowly. Take care to play it evenly, then it will sound evenly too if played fast.

Regarding dynamics: Try to use less pedal and play right hand softer so that one can recognize the beautiful cross rhythm. This way you have possibility to get louder in the appropriate passages. Regarding dynamics, the soft playing is often a greater problem than loud playing, especially for such high speed pieces.

In the middle part, reduce the left hand so that the right hand has a clear voice, imagine to sing with your right hand.

Play on different pianos, before friends, parents, in piano stores... That all helps to gain confidence.

Hope it helps a bit, good luck and let us know how it worked for your recital!
MindenBlues
Registered Musician

Postby tony on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:58 pm

Thanks, I will try that. :)So you think I should play with myown dynamics, where I think they should be louder or softer?

tony
Registered Musician

Next

Post a reply

Return to Frédéric F. Chopin